Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-25-2009, 04:12 PM   #1
2+2

Drives: 09 3Dr Manual
Scanguage and KISS

I bought a Scangauge (SG) at least a month ago and I'm just starting to explore it's capabilities. At first I just used it in gauges mode. Then I discovered that it would show me my mpg for Current, Trip and Tank. Very cool. So now I'm trying to max out my current tank of gas and I got it up to 38.8 mpg and filled up and miles/gals came out to 39. Alright, close enough.

But here's my problem. As I left the gas station the SG was still reading 38.8 for my "Tank" mpg. Reading the instructions tells me that I'm supposed to go to MORE/FILLUP to tell the SG that I just bought gas. Doesn't it know it already? My fuel gauge knows it and displays 8 bars instead of 2, how come SG doesn't know it?

Looking for KISS mode here, maybe the SG just needs a little time to sort things out. lol
2+2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 04:20 PM   #2
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2+2 View Post
I bought a Scangauge (SG) at least a month ago and I'm just starting to explore it's capabilities. At first I just used it in gauges mode. Then I discovered that it would show me my mpg for Current, Trip and Tank. Very cool. So now I'm trying to max out my current tank of gas and I got it up to 38.8 mpg and filled up and miles/gals came out to 39. Alright, close enough.

But here's my problem. As I left the gas station the SG was still reading 38.8 for my "Tank" mpg. Reading the instructions tells me that I'm supposed to go to MORE/FILLUP to tell the SG that I just bought gas. Doesn't it know it already? My fuel gauge knows it and displays 8 bars instead of 2, how come SG doesn't know it?

Looking for KISS mode here, maybe the SG just needs a little time to sort things out. lol
because the sensor for the tank that tells how much gas you have doesn't run through the OBDII computer system.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:53 PM   #3
roadrunner
Yaris Hypermiler

Drives: 2007 Silver Liftback
"Reading the instructions tells me that I'm supposed to go to MORE/FILLUP to tell the SG that I just bought gas."

YES, you must go to MORE/FILLUP to tell Scanguage II that you have filled the tank. You also should clear your trip ODOMETER after each fillup.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:30 PM   #4
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
always

pick the same gas station and actual pump as a favorite...for calibration sake

fill till the handle shuts off

program scangauge with the actual xx.y gallons you pumped in

it creates an offset

after 5 or 6 repeated visits to the same pump it will be 100% dialed and you
shouldn't need to tweak the offset. then you know it is giving accurate mileage
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:28 PM   #5
Henry G.

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
Scan gauge kicks arse. At night I turn the interior gauge lights off and just drive with the SG, I can see better outside and everything I want to know is on the SG. Best mod for the money next to sway bar IMO.
Henry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 07:24 PM   #6
2+2

Drives: 09 3Dr Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by talnlnky View Post
because the sensor for the tank that tells how much gas you have doesn't run through the OBDII computer system.
Thanks for the info! Not a big deal I suppose having to push a couple of scangauge buttons every time I fillup, but it seems dumb for them to not have the computer earn it's keep at every opportunity.

Getting away from KISS here but I had a little time today so I actually read most of the scangauge manual. I'm probably the last one to discover this but it's easy to set it up so you can have trip and/or tank mpg available while in "gauges" mode.

In case it helps anyone...

Turn to page 24 in the manual and just do what it says and pay particular attention to the page 28 section "Displaying a Trip Value as an XGAUGE". I used code 01 and created an xgauge I labeled TDY for today's mpg and code 04 for another xgauge I labeled TNK for tank mpg and now they're available just like the built-in codes when in gauges mode. If that doesn't make sense let me know and I'll try to better explain it.

Now in gauges mode I'm looking at RPM, FWT, TDY & TNK. Or maybe RPM, MPG, TDY & TNK, I can't decide - wish I could display 5 or 6.
2+2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 02:40 PM   #7
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
if you go to the scanguage website there are some PDF files that tell you how to do a few cool things using xguage.... there is actually a HP estimator which is kinda fun to play with.... when hypermiling it is usually shows around 20hp for the way I drive. It's prolly not very accurate... but it does kinda give you an idea of how your car is working. gimmick really.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:29 AM   #8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by talnlnky View Post
if you go to the scanguage website there are some PDF files that tell you how to do a few cool things using xguage.... there is actually a HP estimator which is kinda fun to play with.... when hypermiling it is usually shows around 20hp for the way I drive. It's prolly not very accurate... but it does kinda give you an idea of how your car is working. gimmick really.
scangauge HP is not a gimmick. it is accurate based on OBDII and guesswork, if that makes sense.

To know for sure, put your car on a dyno and get real FWP data, and watch the scangauge. then you have a baseline and then can rely on the scangauge from that point forward.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:32 AM   #9
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for the info! Not a big deal I suppose having to push a couple of scangauge buttons every time I fillup, but it seems dumb for them to not have the computer earn it's keep at every opportunity.

Getting away from KISS here but I had a little time today so I actually read most of the scangauge manual. I'm probably the last one to discover this but it's easy to set it up so you can have trip and/or tank mpg available while in "gauges" mode.

Turn to page 24 in the manual and just do what it says and pay particular attention to the page 28 section "Displaying a Trip Value as an XGAUGE". I used code 01 and created an xgauge I labeled TDY for today's mpg and code 04 for another xgauge I labeled TNK for tank mpg and now they're available just like the built-in codes when in gauges mode. If that doesn't make sense let me know and I'll try to better explain it.

Now in gauges mode I'm looking at RPM, FWT, TDY & TNK. Or maybe RPM, MPG, TDY & TNK, I can't decide - wish I could display 5 or 6.
My favs turn out to be:

Tank Average MPG ................. Distance to empty
water temp/or current mpg .................. Miles per hour
Old 10-08-2009, 11:42 AM   #10
dg4rez
Gas Saver

Drives: Toyota Yaris Hatchback
Send a message via AIM to dg4rez
Quote:

I wouldn't mind learning how to do this, (maybe a youtube video?) personally I got to lost reading the book. But I wouldn't mind having a total tank mpg gauge
Old 10-08-2009, 01:21 PM   #11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg4rez View Post
I wouldn't mind learning how to do this, (maybe a youtube video?) personally I got to lost reading the book. But I wouldn't mind having a total tank mpg gauge

tha scangauge II manual is weird, but it works. just follow it explicity

add a trip or tank value (in this case tank mpg) as an xgauge.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:17 PM   #12
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Copied and pasted from another forum,its the answer i got when asking about setting the x guage to show average mpg,worked for me..

From the home screen ( button with red around it ), hit more>more>more>xgauge

Now you can select the memory slot. If its already on 0 and this is the first xgauge you are creating, go ahead and hit the edit button.

You should now be at the TXD screen
Use the + and - buttons on the left side so that the first number is 0 Then use the arrow button on the right side to move over one space Now it depends on what trip function you want to use..
use the + or - again to adjust
0 - for current trip which resets every time you start the vehicle
1 - for today trip which resets after 10 hours of ignition off time
2- for previous day
4- for tank trip

on mine I have 01 for average fuel economy today

next hit the OK button
You should now be at the RXF screen
use the + or - buttons until the first digit is 8.
Then push OK button 3 times until you get to the name screen
Here you can pick any three letters to name your gauge.
I used AFT for average fuel today
Then hit save
Now you can go back to the home screen and hit gauge. Select which of the four spot you want the gauge to appear and hit the button until see the three letters that you just used to name your gauge.

I hope this helps.
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:39 AM   #13
dg4rez
Gas Saver

Drives: Toyota Yaris Hatchback
Send a message via AIM to dg4rez
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Copied and pasted from another forum,its the answer i got when asking about setting the x guage to show average mpg,worked for me..

From the home screen ( button with red around it ), hit more>more>more>xgauge

Now you can select the memory slot. If its already on 0 and this is the first xgauge you are creating, go ahead and hit the edit button.

You should now be at the TXD screen
Use the + and - buttons on the left side so that the first number is 0 Then use the arrow button on the right side to move over one space Now it depends on what trip function you want to use..
use the + or - again to adjust
0 - for current trip which resets every time you start the vehicle
1 - for today trip which resets after 10 hours of ignition off time
2- for previous day
4- for tank trip

on mine I have 01 for average fuel economy today

next hit the OK button
You should now be at the RXF screen
use the + or - buttons until the first digit is 8.
Then push OK button 3 times until you get to the name screen
Here you can pick any three letters to name your gauge.
I used AFT for average fuel today
Then hit save
Now you can go back to the home screen and hit gauge. Select which of the four spot you want the gauge to appear and hit the button until see the three letters that you just used to name your gauge.

I hope this helps.
worked
thanks much