Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-24-2010, 03:05 AM   #1
birdman

Drives: '08 Blazing Blue Yaris LB
Mother of all dash rattles

There is a new huge rattle deep beneath the center of my dash. Sounds like somethings come loose and is moving around in there. Sometimes the noise stops but returns later. Guess it's time to remove the center dash components one more time and try to find the source of this mother of all rattles. Anyone else experience this?
birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 12:48 PM   #2
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Could be the center display , see fix here www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31290 and go to post # 7 . Good Luck .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 12:55 PM   #3
UTVitz

Drives: Black Vitz Liftback
I've had that center display open several times working on plasticky buzz rattles that sticky sided felt seemed to solve. But if the rattle is down in the dash it might help to leave the cover off the display and drive around a bit to see if you can figure out where it's coming from for sure-having looked in there I've noticed the potential for a lot of different things to cause noise.
UTVitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 02:35 PM   #4
daddyo

Drives: yaris 3 door
I had a mother of a rattle recently in my 44k mile old 08 sedan. Damn thing sounded like it was coming from either the door or the dash- It HAD to be inside the cabin or just under the surface. Turns out the plastic air intake hose where critters like to crawl in was smacking against the hood latch release cable in the engine compartment which is bracketed to the frame (I think). I zip tied it and presto... no more horrible noise.
daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 06:30 PM   #5
birdman

Drives: '08 Blazing Blue Yaris LB
Mine sounds like something large has come loose and is about to come off or has come off. What could be so noisy and not affect the cars behavior? I very much doubt any amount of foam tape will cure this one. The foam tape, pieces of felt and chunks of soft sponge can be found throughout my car and they work pretty good for the most part. Taking the dash apart again and driving it around might be the best strategy to get to the bottom of this one. My old Echo never had all these rattles. If it had been a hatchback I'd never have sold it. In my opinion the Echo's dash was much nicer looking and not so bland although I do like the Yaris's cup holders once the spring tensioner was stiffened to stay up.
birdman is offline   Reply With Quote