Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-30-2009, 04:16 AM   #1
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Which Speakers???

Okay, so I'm doing a Secret Santa, and I have to give out my wish list. I don't really know what to ask for, so I figured, why not change out my front speakers in my sedan? I asked for cash, Fry's Electronics gift card, or a Best Buy gift card; keep in mind the minimum spent for the gift is $50 (from what I was told, might change tho). So I'm going to plan ahead, and see which 6.5" speakers I would like. What do you guys recommend, no more than $65-$70. I was thinking about the Clarion SRG1620R speakers. Any feedback on those (or like I said, other speakers that you guys think are great)?

Just some background, I like bass, but I have my 10" Type R sub for that, so I would like an all-around good speaker, good lows, mids, and highs. I'm also running a JVC HU.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:06 PM   #2
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
6.5" components would be my advice... as long as they cost more than $150 in a retail shop they should be good. Infinity reference 6.5" components are a decent entry level component speaker.....

oh yeah... generally component speakers are better than co-axials.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:43 PM   #3
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by talnlnky View Post
6.5" components would be my advice... as long as they cost more than $150 in a retail shop they should be good. Infinity reference 6.5" components are a decent entry level component speaker.....

oh yeah... generally component speakers are better than co-axials.
Component speakers are way over my budget. I'll be fine with coaxial speakers, not looking for extreme sound quality.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:29 AM   #4
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
http://www.bizrate.com/car-speakers/...-pid710728164/

Some may clown me for posting this but for 60 bucks you get pretty decent sounding component speakers. I mounted my tweeters in the sails by the windows and aimed them toward the windshield. They sound dramatically better than factory. Plus once i installed a new deck and 4 channel amp they really come alive. The components in the door actually play bass hard enough it rattles everything and gives your leg a massage when it is against it.

I ordred mine from crutchfield when they were on special i think i payed 50 and came with free mounting kit and wiring harness and step by step instructions.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 04:43 AM   #5
charleschia1986

Drives: Yaris RUSH HatchBack
i just bought a Brand new Alpine 6.5'' Type E for 150AUD ONLY....!!
for me it sounds not too bad, so u may try this.
charleschia1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:30 AM   #6
Mobius1
Installer

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
i agree with yarisSedan, those blaupunks are nice for the money
Mobius1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 11:59 PM   #7
Kaotic Lazagna

Those Blaupunkts do look good, but I don't think they're offered at Best Buys or Fry's, well, unless I get cash. hehehe.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:47 PM   #8
kac

Drives: 2009 Meteorite 3dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
http://www.bizrate.com/car-speakers/...-pid710728164/

I ordred mine from crutchfield when they were on special i think i payed 50 and came with free mounting kit and wiring harness and step by step instructions.
Any idea what the mounting depth is on those? looking to maybe install 'em in my front doors, but don't wanna buy 'em if I won't be able to roll the windows down all the way...
kac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 04:03 PM   #9
Uber_Otter

Drives: Black XA not yaris but close
I have those speakers, they sound great. I have them in the front and back. Cheap ebay 4 channel 50watt rms amp pushing them. You will need your sub they won't do deeeep bass but really clean everywhere else. You'll need to drill out the rivets in the stock speakers. Buy\make some MDF speaker rings. I installed a bunch of edead too. You will need an amp, if not some lower wattage coax will sound good too. Anything is better than factory.
Uber_Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:30 PM   #10
Kaotic Lazagna

Same problem, don't think they sell Blaupunkt at Best Buy or Fry's.

How about these (not sure if it's one of those "You get what you pay for" deals:
http://cgi.ebay.com/JVC-6X1-2-IN-2-W...item5d26fb5e44
Old 12-03-2009, 04:45 PM   #11
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
if you aren't willing to spend $50 online, or $80 in stores on a SINGLE pair of speakers, you are basically just going to be wasting your time swapping out newer aftermarket crappy speakers for used OEM crappy speakers. Not all aftermarket speakers are an upgrade from stock.

I don't know about you, but for me, unless i'm going to make a significant change in my setup... why waste the time or money. Thus, why i'm still running stock fronts & dual 8" subs.... don't have the time (or shop) to do my install properly yet.
Old 12-03-2009, 05:14 PM   #12
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
I got 2 blaupunkt 6x9s and 2 blaupunkt 6s from a stereo shop for 105. They sound a lot better than stock. They don't distort as soon, and sound way less hollow.

I have a blaupunkt amp running a no name sub, that has 130,000 miles worth of use between the yaris and my last car. It still runs great, and I plan on getting blaupunkt subs, another amp for the speakers, and a headunit in the future.

They aren't gonna win any SQ competitions, but they are badass for the money. Final price for 2 6s, 2 6x9s, 2 12s, 2 amps, and a head unit is under 500.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 06:08 PM   #13
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kac View Post
Any idea what the mounting depth is on those? looking to maybe install 'em in my front doors, but don't wanna buy 'em if I won't be able to roll the windows down all the way...
I checked them out before i got them they do install fine without touching window. I would reccomend speaker baffels though while your in there.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:19 PM   #14
r3b3l

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3dr liftback
Quote:
if you aren't willing to spend $50 online, or $80 in stores on a SINGLE pair of speakers, you are basically just going to be wasting your time swapping out newer aftermarket crappy speakers for used OEM crappy speakers. Not all aftermarket speakers are an upgrade from stock.

I don't know about you, but for me, unless i'm going to make a significant change in my setup... why waste the time or money. Thus, why i'm still running stock fronts & dual 8" subs.... don't have the time (or shop) to do my install properly yet.

+1 to that, Ive got two JL Audio 10w6's in my old truck now but there old so Im gonna go ahead and get all JL Audio components and new W7 subs for the Yaris. Do it right or dont do it at all. Who cares if your friends think its cool they arent driving it or paying for it. Spend the time to do it right for yourself and you will appreciate the ride even more.
r3b3l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:24 PM   #15
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:

Not sure if you overlooked the gift card. I'm asking for $50 in cash or gift cards to Best Buy or Fry's Electronics. I'll also put in $20-30 bucks (if they're absolutely worth it). So, technically, I'm willing to spend $50-$80. Just wondering what are some good speakers that I can get at either place. Those Blaupunkts look good, but like I mentioned, don't think they sell Blaupunkt at either store (at least I haven't seen them).
Old 12-03-2009, 08:25 PM   #16
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
I got 2 blaupunkt 6x9s and 2 blaupunkt 6s from a stereo shop for 105. They sound a lot better than stock. They don't distort as soon, and sound way less hollow.

I have a blaupunkt amp running a no name sub, that has 130,000 miles worth of use between the yaris and my last car. It still runs great, and I plan on getting blaupunkt subs, another amp for the speakers, and a headunit in the future.

They aren't gonna win any SQ competitions, but they are badass for the money. Final price for 2 6s, 2 6x9s, 2 12s, 2 amps, and a head unit is under 500.
Damn, wish I can find those Blaupunkts at Best Buy or Fry's. Seems like many people like 'em.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:26 PM   #17
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3b3l View Post
+1 to that, Ive got two JL Audio 10w6's in my old truck now but there old so Im gonna go ahead and get all JL Audio components and new W7 subs for the Yaris. Do it right or dont do it at all. Who cares if your friends think its cool they arent driving it or paying for it. Spend the time to do it right for yourself and you will appreciate the ride even more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
Not sure if you overlooked the gift card. I'm asking for $50 in cash or gift cards to Best Buy or Fry's Electronics. I'll also put in $20-30 bucks (if they're absolutely worth it). So, technically, I'm willing to spend $50-$80. Just wondering what are some good speakers that I can get at either place. Those Blaupunkts look good, but like I mentioned, don't think they sell Blaupunkt at either store (at least I haven't seen them).
^
Old 12-04-2009, 09:58 AM   #18
Uber_Otter

Drives: Black XA not yaris but close
http://www.frys.com/category/Outpost...nent+Speakers/

I got mine at Fry's they were $99
Uber_Otter is offline   Reply With Quote