Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-25-2009, 04:09 AM   #1
signs

Drives: toyota yaris
The last bar of petrol

How far can you drive when you reach the last bar when it starts to blink? I'm a paranoid driver and the most I've gone when it starts to blink is 10kms, and then I fill up.

I was wondering - can the last bar take you as far as the other bars (which, averages to about 70-80kms per bar for me).
signs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 04:25 AM   #2
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
When the last bar flashes slowly you have 1.6 US gals. left - when it starts flashing faster you have 1.1 US gals. left.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 08:27 PM   #3
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
i've done 50miles after blinking started.... if it ACTUALLY goes off at 1.6g then I should be able to do 60ish miles. I try to get gas though within ten miles of the blinker starting as I don't care to put more stress on the pump/filter and any other parts that supply the gas to the engine... Plus... humidity is high over here.... more air in the tank = more water in the tank.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:46 PM   #4
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
I'll usually see how far I can go before the blinking speeds up, after which I keep a sharp eye out for the next station

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 01:37 AM   #5
mryaris

Drives: 2010 Carmine Red hatchback
Why not fill up when it starts blinking, find out how many gallons (liters?) of fuel it takes to fill up then subtract that from 11.1 gallons (42 liters?). Then figure out your fuel economy and extraopolate how far (at least theoretically) you could have gone on the remaining gas that was in the tank when you filled up.

Example: last bar starts blinking and you immediately fill up. You put in 9.5 gallons and drove 350 miles.

11.1-9.5= 1.6 gallons

350/9.5= 36.84 MPG

1.6 * 36.84= 58.94 miles

You could have (theoretically) driven another 50-60 miles before running completely dry. This assumes that you can eek out every last drop of gas from the tank.....not sure how low the Yaris will go.

To be honest with you, on every car I have ever owned I purposely ran out of gas once, just so I could see how far I could go before running out (I had a gallon of gas with me, of course). That way if I ever found myself low with no stations around I could figure out about how far my range was before running completely out.

Just a thought.

YMMV though (pun intended)! :)
mryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 05:24 AM   #6
Forrest

Drives: 08 LB BLACK
What is the purpose of waiting for blinking to increase? Why not fill when you get down to last bar?
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 06:09 AM   #7
NJBob

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback
To each his own. I get nervous as soon as the thingy starts to blink and go fill up. That's prolly why they designed it that way. But at least I know I have around 60 miles to travel to get comfortably to a station. hehehe
Old 03-26-2009, 07:02 AM   #8
PreciousPups4U
I really LOVE this car!!!

Drives: 08 Bayou Blue LB AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBob View Post
To each his own. I get nervous as soon as the thingy starts to blink and go fill up. That's prolly why they designed it that way. But at least I know I have around 60 miles to travel to get comfortably to a station. hehehe
Agreed. I have actually only seen the blinking thing a few times. Usually when I get down to 2 bars I get gas.

Drove husbands car on a short road trip the other day. Didn't realize he had almost no gas. By the time I could get off the interstate and to a gas station it was doing the fast blinking thing and had been for a few minutes. I was getting concerned as it was 11:00 at night and I was on the interstate an hour from home by myself. Oh, FYI it took 10.293 gallons to fill it up.

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers

PreciousPups4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:06 AM   #9
signs

Drives: toyota yaris
wow, 50-60 miles is pretty good. That's roughly the same as the other bars. That's really good to know. Now I know that I don't 'have' to fill up when I leave my house for work at 7am in the morning and rush to work - there is enough to take me to work. Kewl. Another reason I love the yaris
signs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:17 PM   #10
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Heck, you people don't know how to live! Don't let your lives be driven by the blinking light, be like Kramer on Seinfeld and see how far you can go on a tank of gas!

Quote:
RICK: We did! We pulled it off! I can’t believe it! Where’s the needle?

KRAMER: Oh, it broke off, baby! Woo, hoo, hoo!

RICK: Oh, Mr. Kramer, I gotta thank you. I - I learned a lot. Things are gonna be different for me now.

KRAMER: Well, that’s a weird thing to say..

RICK: I wonder how much longer we could have lasted.

KRAMER: Yeah, yeah. I wonder...hmm.
Cheers! M2
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 06:13 PM   #11
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
What is the purpose of waiting for blinking to increase? Why not fill when you get down to last bar?
Because someday I want the AAA tow-truck guy to think to himself "I can't believe I'm filling up a Yaris... How much MPG does it get again?"

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:59 PM   #12
captainm27

Drives: 2008 Sedan A/T Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altitude View Post
When the last bar flashes slowly you have 1.6 US gals. left - when it starts flashing faster you have 1.1 US gals. left.
Today I went to fill up...it stopped at 9.7 Gallons. The tank size of the Yaris 11.1, so, 11.1 - 9.7 = 1.4 Gallons, and YET, I still had 2 bars.
captainm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:40 PM   #13
TheRealEnth
Beast

Drives: 2007 Blz Blu LB
Send a message via AIM to TheRealEnth
yeah... lately when my last bar starts blinking... within 30 miles my car has stopped running... Its horrible =D...

One you've taken a yaris for a spin, there's no turning back.
Its a Chao!!!
TheRealEnth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:08 PM   #14
Luna V 2.0

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Blazing Blue
Send a message via AIM to Luna V 2.0
My car is a bit odd. It goes from 2 bars to blinking. I'm not sure why it seems to skip the last bar.

I tend to tell myself I'll fill up when it gets to two bars, but I always wind up forgetting and then panic when it starts to blink. But I always fill up for less than 10 gallons so I know I still have quite a bit of gas left.
Luna V 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:48 PM   #15
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainm27 View Post
Today I went to fill up...it stopped at 9.7 Gallons. The tank size of the Yaris 11.1, so, 11.1 - 9.7 = 1.4 Gallons, and YET, I still had 2 bars.
Sounds like your gauge is off. The information I provided was from the owners manual and though I don't have it handy - I'm sure the word "approximately" is in there somewhere.

As with all things YMMV.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:59 PM   #16
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
I wonder if the 09's are different. Mine goes from two bars to a blinking one bar.

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 06:55 AM   #17
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

Same here. I think it holds about 10.2 gallons shortly after that comes on.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:56 AM   #18
stripey
Pretty green Yaris Verso

Drives: Toyota Yaris Verso
My 2000 (100000 mile) Yaris Verso goes from 2 bars to blinking one. First time I had it down low, it did 90 miles without running out from when the single flashing bar came on. But I have run out (embarrassingly) with only 50-60 miles from that point, and that with a normal mpg of 44. I don't think the bars in the fuel indicator behave at all consistently.
stripey is offline   Reply With Quote