Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-24-2009, 08:52 PM   #1
brotan1x
The Mobile Computer Tech

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris Liftback
Odd Noise when breaking

I receently started hearing this sound. I took it into the dealer (carmax) but they could not find anything wrong with the brakes.

After driving about 35 to 45 minutes on the highway (when its good and warm)and then using the brakes I hear a wierd sound. Its actually sounds like what an 18 wheelers breaks sound like when breaking. Its clearly coming from the front of the car. It in no way sounds like grinding or bad break pads.

I am still under factory warranty.. However I am not sure how to explain it.. I am wondering if anyone else has experienced the sound. Might this be an undocumented/unadvertised feature?

THoughts?

Sheesh I feel like a idiot.. I spelled it breaking instead of braking.. What a goof I am.. .Please don't think less of me.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." George Carlin (1937 - 2008)

Last edited by brotan1x; 08-25-2009 at 07:43 AM.
brotan1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 03:57 PM   #2
silver_echo
ekodrvr

Drives: 2002 white subaru impreza wrx
what brand of brake pads are on it? have the brakes been serviced? how many miles? OEM rotors? after market?

i like this smiley...
silver_echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:00 AM   #3
brotan1x
The Mobile Computer Tech

Unfortunatly I am a computer guy and not familiar enough with cars these days. The main reason I joined this site was to get more aquainted with the vehicle I owned.. (a major first for me)

Not sure about the components of the brake system. The parts look like brake components to me..

I bought it at Carmax about a month ago. I am at 26k miles right now. I am confident that Carmax replaced the brake pads before I got it but I have no way of confirming that notion. Carmax told me that the brakes look 'up to spec' when i took it in for the first oil change (yes I have already driven the first 3K and am being quite conservative)

Thanks for answering.. Your question gives me direction to go with when I go talk to Toyota dealer.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." George Carlin (1937 - 2008)
Old 08-26-2009, 10:35 AM   #4
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
If your car was driven by a person who was easy on the brakes the pads and rotors may have become glazed which results in weird groaning noises at low speeds and hissing noises at higher speeds,have your mechanic inspect and turn the rotors for you and dont let any one talk you into new rotors at that mileage.
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:28 PM   #5
brotan1x
The Mobile Computer Tech

Thanks for the responses guys. I am going to make an appointment with the Toyota dealer for next week.

Question--- If it is the 'glaze efect' that causes the groaning what would be the long term concern for me?
Old 08-26-2009, 01:38 PM   #6
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
go out and do some heavy panic stops on a deserted road. a couple 60-0 at threshold braking. you'll probably fix the problem yourself :) just don't do it where someone could rear-end you or you get spotted by the cops. they don't seem to understand these things
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 04:46 PM   #7
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
go out and do some heavy panic stops on a deserted road. a couple 60-0 at threshold braking. you'll probably fix the problem yourself :) just don't do it where someone could rear-end you or you get spotted by the cops. they don't seem to understand these things
Thats the way to condition new brakes and rotors...
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:07 PM   #8
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Thats the way to condition new brakes and rotors...
yep, sure is
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:33 PM   #9
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Last instructions I came across (I think from an expensive set of KVR rotors and pads?) said to use moderate force, 40-0mph, 5-6 times with about 1 mile pause between stops, then let cool for at least 1 hour.

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 07:54 PM   #10
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
hmmm, I think I won't have a choice but to change my pads out at my mom's apartment instead of my place, so would I be able to do the bedding procedure within the confines of the parking lot?
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:01 PM   #11
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stToyota View Post
Last instructions I came across (I think from an expensive set of KVR rotors and pads?) said to use moderate force, 40-0mph, 5-6 times with about 1 mile pause between stops, then let cool for at least 1 hour.
You don't wanna do 40-0, do 60-20. More force and you really don't wanna come to a complete stop with hot brakes. The carbotech rep said to do 60-20 and get back up to 60 about as fast as you can and then slam back down to 20 5 times in a row, wait a minute or two, and then do it again.

And no, you can't bed brakes in a parking lot. Best place is a track, but a good open road will do.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:05 PM   #12
Kaotic Lazagna

Damn it. hahahaha, that means I'm going to have to do it else where (and while in school, not what I hoped for). Probably at might old neighbor's place since there's an open road there.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:06 AM   #13
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

If you're using normal, not special racing, pads and are going to be driving relatively normally, no special breakin procedure is needed. Just drive and use your brakes normally.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 12:48 AM   #14
Kaotic Lazagna

They're upgraded street pads. I'd rather be safe than sorry, so I'll follow the bedding procedures included with them.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:04 AM   #15
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
I think depending on where you are the law is all used cars sold have to have atleast 40% remaining brake pad lining left. If not they have to be replaced. Guess what most dealers do what we call in the industry as a "pad slap" Slapping some pads and typically the cheapest one to bring the vehicle up to standard meaning aftermarket non oem parts and not machining the brake rotor. Which usually results in brakes that take extremly long to break in.. Especially if the rotor is already glazed to begin with. And everything that you describe would lead me to believe that is what is going on. What could be done to remedy the situation would be to take the brake pads out. Lightly sand them to a flat surface and have the rotors turned. Then relube everything. When putting the brake pads back put a light coating of brake lube inbetween the brake shim and the pad and outside of the shim as well. That will help dampen any vibration.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:07 AM   #16
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
You don't wanna do 40-0, do 60-20. More force and you really don't wanna come to a complete stop with hot brakes. The carbotech rep said to do 60-20 and get back up to 60 about as fast as you can and then slam back down to 20 5 times in a row, wait a minute or two, and then do it again.

And no, you can't bed brakes in a parking lot. Best place is a track, but a good open road will do.
I was following manufacturer instructions, not listening to a rep...and my keyword was moderate force.

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:40 AM   #17
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
I wouldnt think the original pads would have been replaced at 24000. Might be A pebble stuck in caliper - or - the car was hit and rebuilt wrong. Or tires/wheel bearing since you said it get worse when it heats up. I hope you didnt pay full used retail ... Anyway the car is coverd still by the Toyota B>B warranty (I think).
TheSilkySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:42 AM   #18
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
Quote:
I was following manufacturer instructions, not listening to a rep...and my keyword was moderate force.
Why would you follow the MANUFACTURER's instruction and not the advice of this well seasoned Forum? ;)
TheSilkySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote