Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 11-08-2019, 10:02 PM   #1
Superfly
Makin' it rain

Drives: 2012 Silver Yaris LE
All Weather/Winter Tires

Hey guys,

I've been riding on some General Altimax RT43s here in the Chicago suburbs and they aren't bad. A bit noisy but overall decent traction but I have noticed some slippage lately on wet roads and in the snow we just had over Halloween.

My new position at work has basically all but ensured that I have to be there regardless of weather (unless it is a terrible blizzard) so I am debating if I should jump on traditional winter tires or try the new all weather tires being reviewed recently.

The problem with winter tires is that because I live in the burbs, outside of my early morning commute, the roads are generally plowed so there isn't much snow on them. I'd be looking at mostly slush and maybe a 1/2" on the roads. I'm afraid winters would be overkill and the reviews on CR and tirerack all show their dry/wet handling to be average at best. My local Costco has Blizzaks on sale for $150 off which is an amazing deal.

I was thinking of trying all weather but the Yaris doesn't have a ton of options. The Nokian WR G4 and the Vredestein Quatrac 5 are about it. Does anyone have experience with those tires? Are they similar to all-seasons or would they handle Chicagoland winters adequately? Just curious.

Thanks!
Superfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 07:11 AM   #2
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
I'm a big fan of dedicated winter tires. They do make a significant difference. An extra set of rims is cheap for these cars and you save a lot of $$ not having to get the tires swapped out each season. I have no direct experience with the two tires you mention, but I think it's widely accepted that the Nokian Hakkapelitta tires are about the best winter tire available.

This is a good article that compares top winter tire brands. The Nokians are expensive but they are quite an amazing tire.

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...es-for-winter/

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 08:36 AM   #3
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Go with the Blizzaks since you live in an urban environment.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:07 PM   #4
Superfly
Makin' it rain

Drives: 2012 Silver Yaris LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
I'm a big fan of dedicated winter tires. They do make a significant difference. An extra set of rims is cheap for these cars and you save a lot of $$ not having to get the tires swapped out each season. I have no direct experience with the two tires you mention, but I think it's widely accepted that the Nokian Hakkapelitta tires are about the best winter tire available.[/URL]
Thank you. I was looking at Nokian too. Plus Continental VikingContact7s. Really, I was looking at any and trying to figure out if they made sense for someone in a suburban area. I think I'm going to give it a try for the first time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Go with the Blizzaks since you live in an urban environment.
Yes, the deal I can receive on them is pretty good so that is what I'm leaning towards. But my local tire shop is leaps and bounds ahead of Costco and I was toying with the idea of buying some other brand and having them install it instead.
Superfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 01:48 PM   #5
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Cooper Evolution winter tires . Very good tire with deep sipes .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 09:49 AM   #6
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
I can feel your pain on the RT43's. Currently running an older set on my Echo and they're scary in the slush.

I've been very satisfied with the X-Ice line for fluctuating cold temperatures. Not great in the slush (nothing really is) but tons of grip in snow and hard-packed white surfaces. I ran Nokian Hakka's last winter--phenominal in sub-zero temperatures, horrible in the 30-50's.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 11:33 AM   #7
suprf1y

Drives: 05 Echo
Nice username
suprf1y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 01:56 PM   #8
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Go here for pics of the Evolution winter . https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...lly-areas.html
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 12:15 PM   #9
Niki Knuckles

Drives: RS
Sailun Ice Blazer are very good. 195 55 15
Niki Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 06:16 PM   #10
CB900F2

Drives: 08 Sedan
I am running a set of "All Weather" Nordman WR on the Yaris my son drives now(Use to me my car).. and I just installed about a month ago a set of Toyo Celsius (All weather) on my 2017 Elantra and they are fantastic..

I took out the Yaris last year in the winter when we installed the all weather and I use to run just all session all year.. And these all weather tires are fantastic!!.. I live in the Toronto area. so generally the roads are plowed.. but when it did snow. I was pushing the tires hard, and man of man.. great traction..

I understand that Winter tires are the best option.. but again.. I love the convenience of only one set of tires for all year round

If I was living further north, then yes.. I would get full snow tires for the winter..
CB900F2 is offline   Reply With Quote