Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-03-2020, 02:50 PM   #19
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Drives: 07 Yaris rs 3 door 2zr swaped
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime View Post
Wonder if you could swap a whole engine and transmission etc. from a first Gen 4wd 2 door Manual?
I dont think there was such a beast. All the awd seem to be automatics

Xd/2zr-fe Swap/Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61427

Bolt-in 3.75" Suspension Lift Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61577
myfirstyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 02:58 PM   #20
Maritime

Drives: 2008 yaris 5dr hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstyota View Post
I dont think there was such a beast. All the awd seem to be automatics
there were, my buddy had a 2 door 5 speed AWD, I had a 98 4 door AWD 5 speed. I only say the 2 door because it was a shorter wheelbase so shorter drive shaft etc.
Maritime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 09:23 PM   #21
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

You had a 98 awd echo in canada?
It wasn't imported?

Old 01-04-2020, 08:34 AM   #22
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
I think he's talking about the little Rav that was available back in the day.
Old 01-04-2020, 08:38 AM   #23
Maritime

Correct. Rav4's.
Old 01-04-2020, 09:49 AM   #24
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Ohhh ok my bad!

The more I look into this the more I realize why "no one" has done it. I think the transmission issue is the biggest hurdle. I cant find a viable option for a manual trans with an output shaft to the rear.

Maritime, you may be right. The whole driveline may need to be swapped from a rav. Engine and all.

But that's not too bad of a thing. The 2005 rav had a 2.4L making 160ish hp and torque. The 2L option making 140ish. If I'm going to go through the trouble of building and entire rear suspension/diff setup, may as well wire up a new engine.

Old 01-05-2020, 12:57 PM   #25
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
the other issue you have to think about is many of those older toyota awd system are an unintelligent slip and grip type. Meaning you will obtain virtually no performance benefit from them except accelerating from a stop up to 40km/h. Take it from me, my '05 Vibe awd system is one of those older types. They are great for a grocery getter but lack any type of permance benefit the newer systems have
Old 01-06-2020, 09:39 AM   #26
Maritime

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
the other issue you have to think about is many of those older toyota awd system are an unintelligent slip and grip type. Meaning you will obtain virtually no performance benefit from them except accelerating from a stop up to 40km/h. Take it from me, my '05 Vibe awd system is one of those older types. They are great for a grocery getter but lack any type of permance benefit the newer systems have
The Rav4 systems had a lock button you can use for slow offroad situations or deep snow etc. which you can swap over to the yaris for sure. I know the vibe matrtix didn't have those buttons.
Old 01-06-2020, 01:58 PM   #27
tmontague

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime View Post
The Rav4 systems had a lock button you can use for slow offroad situations or deep snow etc. which you can swap over to the yaris for sure. I know the vibe matrtix didn't have those buttons.
Yes which locked the center diff 50/50 but only under 40km/h and with open front and rear differentials they performance addition doesn't do much for performance driving in high speed corners.

The amount of time and money this would take would be better spent with a WRX or sti purchase off the bat IMO
Old 01-06-2020, 02:46 PM   #28
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
It wouldn't necessarily have to be a toyota diff in the rear. You could always get a custom driveshaft made to fit a honda diff
Old 01-07-2020, 01:10 AM   #29
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
Yes which locked the center diff 50/50 but only under 40km/h and with open front and rear differentials they performance addition doesn't do much for performance driving in high speed corners.
My truck and my old Suzuki grand vitara were both the dumb 4wd type. They're both "unstopable" in the snow.

Would a Subaru or Audi quattro awd system be better for performance year round? Well of course.

Basically, the goal is to take off from a stop, in snow, as easily as my old Suzuki (which had open diffs front and rear), and it doesnt destroy parts, I'd be happy. If I can drive it to work reliably, even better.

Im not looking for year round performance. Im just a gearhead looking to challenge himself and create something one of a kind in the process.

Old 01-07-2020, 01:11 AM   #30
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leegamer View Post
It wouldn't necessarily have to be a toyota diff in the rear. You could always get a custom driveshaft made to fit a honda diff
I actually had thoughts of diffs with lsd options.

Old 01-07-2020, 12:50 PM   #31
tmontague

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstyota View Post
My truck and my old Suzuki grand vitara were both the dumb 4wd type. They're both "unstopable" in the snow.

Would a Subaru or Audi quattro awd system be better for performance year round? Well of course.

Basically, the goal is to take off from a stop, in snow, as easily as my old Suzuki (which had open diffs front and rear), and it doesnt destroy parts, I'd be happy. If I can drive it to work reliably, even better.

Im not looking for year round performance. Im just a gearhead looking to challenge himself and create something one of a kind in the process.
Well then in that case, go nuts, I assumed you wanted this more as a performance project. All the power to you but damn this would be an expensive and ungodly amount of fabricating just for a better get up and go off the line. FWIW my '05 awd Vibe with snow tires does a fantastic job of taking off from a stop in snow but that is where the fun ends. My Subie OTOH is a completely different animal with many more smiles per gallon in the snow.

I wasn't referring to "dumb awd" systems as sub par per say, at least not in the off road, grip department. Hell, most true 4x4's are or were technically "dumb" systems. I meant for the systems that are not true 4x4 but of the awd variety that lack any "smart" sensor input they are pretty much useless for helping at all in cornering performance and even at moderately high speeds. But as you stated above this isn't necessarily what you're after so it doesn't really matter.

I agree that buying the whole driveline from an older model vehicle would be the best bet. You will just need to figure out a safe and sturdy way to mount the system and have it all properly aligned before it is welded in. Then obviously running the engine and trying to somehow have it still connect the the interior creature comforts. You will also be battling with a mechanical throttle vs drive by wire.

This sheds light on why many rather chose the path of making a rav4 handle like a yaris rather than converting a yaris to a rav4 (not specific to those vehicles). It is just simpler to adjust handling and suspension dynamics then a whole driveline.

Either way it would be an adventure!
Old 01-07-2020, 08:36 PM   #32
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Going in the other direction, I saw a 3DR Mk1 RAV4 with a 3S-GTE swap at a rallycross. Insane hardly begins to describe that thing.

I have similar pipe dreams for making an AWD Mk1 MR2 some day, twin charged like a group B rally car of legend. In theory I can do it with the drivetrain from an AWD Previa but it will be Project Binky levels of fabrication to make it happen.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 01:48 PM   #33
Maritime

Yep the AWD for the lifted Yaris with AT tires is not the same need or want as one for a lowered hot rodded engine rally/track Yaris for sure. If you can score a complete engine and rear end from a first gen 2 door Rav4 with an MT and a ECU you should be able to swap it all over with not too bad of work. I am sure your heater fan controls and all that will wire into the old ecu and a cable throttle should be adaptable from an older Echo maybe.
Old 04-07-2020, 10:41 PM   #34
Neinris

Drives: 08 Yaris 3 Door Hatchback
Not sure if this helps...

https://youtu.be/WHBB5G3I6gE
Neinris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 10:04 AM   #35
Neinris

Drives: 08 Yaris 3 Door Hatchback
Or get a Yaris Cross???

https://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sh...906#post829906
Neinris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 04:13 AM   #36
Turbo verso

Drives: Yaris t sport, yaris verso
I know that there was a toyota fun cargo 4wd which means its drive train would work with a 1nz, I saw some in Malta, they get Japan Market models, so I'd guess it was available there too. Dont know if a manual was an option or if any of the parts would help you.
Turbo verso is offline   Reply With Quote