Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-28-2006, 01:30 PM   #1
bojim

Drives: Yaris sedan (silver) auto
Thumbs up Transmission needs to warm up?????

I'm a first time newbie and glad to be a Toyota owner again. I really like my new 07 silver sadan. I have a question that I have not seen it covered yet, except for one time and it was kind of vague. I'm in south Al and it does get below freezing from time to time (believe it or not) ha ha. This is the first car I have ever owned that during cold weather you have to let it warm up before the transmission will shift properly. In my case 40 or 50 degrees F or below. Is it just me because I think this is abnormal? I read in the manual you have to let it warm up but I figured it would have to be freezing outside to affect the transmission. I also asked the service tech. at the Toy. dealership and he said its normal for Toyotas to do this. I'm sorry but I'm very suspiscious. Can ya'll help me please?
bojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 01:42 PM   #2
bojim

Forgot to tell you this is a automatic. Sorry,
Old 12-28-2006, 02:04 PM   #3
eflb55
its EF LB 55

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2007 Sedan (US)
I had the same problem and a couple of people told me to drive it slower if it's cold out and don't push the car for a couple miles. This way it warms up even faster and you don't run the chance of damaging anything. It's working for me as it feels smoother when shifting after driving it for about a mile or 2 and then I can start pushing the car a little more.
eflb55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 02:34 PM   #4
spkrman
Banned

Drives: 1
there are threads about this, and yea, its normal.

It'll hold 2nd longer until it warms up then it shifts normally, its written into the ECU.

You should definitely be easy on it while its warming up... I try not to hop out of 2nd if at all possible... holding it at 20-25mph helps warm it up much faster.
spkrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 03:29 PM   #5
Katana

Drives: Yaris LB 1.3lt 06
Send a message via MSN to Katana Send a message via Yahoo to Katana
In the M/T, it needs some time to warm up.Until then, the gear changing is not that smooth!
Katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 05:40 PM   #6
bojim

Thanks for the info ya'll. I guess I'll have to deal with it. Other than that I really like this car and most of all the gas milage. 38mpg avg.
Old 12-28-2006, 05:57 PM   #7
hystria

Drives: 2007 Orange Yaris Hb 3Drs
every automatic tranny has to warm up. just like the engine
hystria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 06:11 PM   #8
bojim

I understand that. Most people who live in the south just get in their cars and go because the outside temp is already warm enough to satisfy the transmission. All I'm saying is this is the first car I have ever owned that required (even somewhat stated in the owners manual) warming up for the trans. to function properly.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:29 PM   #9
hystria

Drives: 2007 Orange Yaris Hb 3Drs
Quote:
Originally Posted by bojim View Post
I understand that. Most people who live in the south just get in their cars and go because the outside temp is already warm enough to satisfy the transmission. All I'm saying is this is the first car I have ever owned that required (even somewhat stated in the owners manual) warming up for the trans. to function properly.

I'd say, I think they don't require it, they simply put a that light on the cluster so you could take somehow a little more care of the car's tranny/engine . I have the 5 speed and it also has this little light in the cluster
hystria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 05:49 PM   #10
dandj

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan auto
I don't believe it's the tranny but rather the catiltic converter they are trying to warm up fast by not alowing you to shift into overdrive till the engine warms up. Some GM's also do this.
dandj is offline   Reply With Quote