Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-06-2012, 05:43 PM   #1
matti

Drives: 2017 Yaris L (5sp manual)
Got a quote on a 2012 Yaris L 3-door (5-spd manual)

I've been going back and forth with the dealer via email to negotiate price, etc. The dealer doesn't have a 5-spd manual anywhere near my area, but they do have an AT on the lot. I took it for a spin today and it definitely had the nice, "Toyota feel." I know for a fact that I want the 5-spd manual in Super White, though, and after some negotiation, they said they'll go as low $14,762. MSRP is $15,055 and they won't go lower than $14,762.

If I go with the new Yaris, I'll be trading in my current 2007 Corolla 5-spd manual (113,000 miles).

Any thoughts on this price? Also, I'll be paying for the purchase with cash. Thanks.
matti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:47 PM   #2
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
That's a decent price, but if I were you I would hold out for a manual transmission. Especially when the current car you drive is one.

Don't let the dealer force you to compromise because they want to offload stock from their lot. If they are interested in selling you a car they will find a manual for you. If not find another dealer who will.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:49 PM   #3
matti

Altitude, thanks. Perhaps I wasn't clear in my first post. That price is for the MT: they don't have one on their lot, but they can get one sent here from the west coast within a few weeks. I definitely would get the MT, not that AT. I simply took the AT for a spin to get a feel for how the car rides and feels (turning, suspension, single wiper, etc.).
Old 06-21-2012, 10:11 PM   #4
matti

Hi everyone. Just a quick followup. The dealer couldn't find a new white 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5spd in our region, so I've got a brand spankin' new one coming in about four weeks, direct from the factory. I'll be paying cash and will drive out of the lot with 0 miles on the odometer. Pretty excited!
Old 06-21-2012, 10:19 PM   #5
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
I'm happy for you, matti... you are going to love it!
I bought exactly the same 2012 white L model 2 door hatch 5 speed for cash ($16,600 out the door including 8.75% state sales tax) and couldn't be more pleased with it. I eagerly paid the going rate just to be able to get one at all! We sold our 19 year old Hyundai for $1,700 in one day which brought the cost down to $14,900.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:30 PM   #6
matti

Very cool. I'm glad you like your car so much. I'm sure I'll love my new one, as well. There's something about the Toyota white that really draws me in.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:51 PM   #7
tooter
play every day

It's good you drove the auto, now the stick will feel more zippy. We always buy white cars because that color paint is especially durable and keeps the car cooler in hot weather.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:37 AM   #8
richard_rsp

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 3Dr
Awesome! I LOVE my 2012 L 5-speed! Thats a pretty good price - there isnt alot of markup in these cars.

BTW, if you dont already know: Cruise Control is VERY easy to install. I did mine the first week I had the car and it took less than 30 min to do.
richard_rsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:13 PM   #9
jerome
Toyota

Drives: '11 5dr/5spd yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by matti View Post
Hi everyone. Just a quick followup. The dealer couldn't find a new white 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5spd in our region, so I've got a brand spankin' new one coming in about four weeks, direct from the factory. I'll be paying cash and will drive out of the lot with 0 miles on the odometer. Pretty excited!
good thing you held out for what you wanted. there were a few times in my past car buying history where i just settled for what was on the lot - that regret always happens to fall in shortly after

i was lucky enough to find a 2011 5-door, 5-speed in super white 75 miles away. 16 miles on the odo. worth the trip
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:35 PM   #10
chocolab

Drives: bmw
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard_rsp View Post
Awesome! I LOVE my 2012 L 5-speed! Thats a pretty good price - there isnt alot of markup in these cars.

BTW, if you dont already know: Cruise Control is VERY easy to install. I did mine the first week I had the car and it took less than 30 min to do.
Can I ask how much that costs? And is it just changing a stalk or something? I'm assuming you don't have to cut a hole like I've read on the older ones...

I've been looking for a used Yaris for a few months now and haven't found one I want to pull the trigger on yet, so I've been considering new. The new body style has grown on me a little, and the bigger cargo space would come in handy.

Funny how some of us insist on a manual, too! I've located one in stock about an hour and a half from me and got a decent quote on it, a little cheaper than the OP.
chocolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:44 AM   #11
jamal1984
The Beautification of Car

Drives: Toyota Yaris S
Send a message via MSN to jamal1984
not hijack the thread, but why would you want to pay for yaris drive out over $15K?
I'll get a corolla for that price. I'm sure yaris are more fun to drive, but not $15K.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:24 AM   #12
richard_rsp

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 3Dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolab View Post
Can I ask how much that costs? And is it just changing a stalk or something? I'm assuming you don't have to cut a hole like I've read on the older ones...
I got my cruise stalk through CTScott (member on here) for around $40 or so (he had a good number of new ones available, so check with him) and got my clutch switch for $22 at the dealership. I believe CTScott has some of them available too, but I didnt realize I needed it for my 2012. All the connectors are there, so its literally plug and play.

There is an access hatch on the side of the steering wheel where the cruise stalk goes, so i just leave my access hatch off (so no cutting). The only scary part of installation is removing the airbag, but its just seems intimidating. It was actually a piece of cake and took less than 30 min total for the install. I recommend checking this post as it was very helpful to me.
richard_rsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:47 AM   #13
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamal1984 View Post
not hijack the thread, but why would you want to pay for yaris drive out over $15K?
I'll get a corolla for that price. I'm sure yaris are more fun to drive, but not $15K.
The answer is in your question.
"More fun to drive" is worth $15k.

(...and there aren't any Corolla 2 door hatchbacks)
Old 06-27-2012, 01:40 PM   #14
skuzzlebutt5

Drives: '12 Yaris SE Classic Silver AT
$15,750 for an SE Auto in Sacramento, CA if you live close...
skuzzlebutt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:45 PM   #15
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamal1984 View Post
the latest gen corolla is a gigantic disappointment in every way, and it gets worse gas mileage. And the Yaris now starts at $14k. The Corolla starts at $16k.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:59 PM   #16
matti

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
the latest gen corolla is a gigantic disappointment in every way, and it gets worse gas mileage. And the Yaris now starts at $14k. The Corolla starts at $16k.
Yes, the gas mileage and price differences between the Yaris and Corolla were what convinced me to go with the Yaris. I ran the "cost of ownership" calculations between each vehicle, and the Yaris came out on top for me.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:20 PM   #17
chocolab

Drives: bmw
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard_rsp View Post
I got my cruise stalk through CTScott (member on here) for around $40 or so (he had a good number of new ones available, so check with him) and got my clutch switch for $22 at the dealership. I believe CTScott has some of them available too, but I didnt realize I needed it for my 2012. All the connectors are there, so its literally plug and play.

There is an access hatch on the side of the steering wheel where the cruise stalk goes, so i just leave my access hatch off (so no cutting). The only scary part of installation is removing the airbag, but its just seems intimidating. It was actually a piece of cake and took less than 30 min total for the install. I recommend checking this post as it was very helpful to me.
PC ate my earlier reply, but thank you sir. :)

On the Corolla discussion, I've seen manual L Corollas advertised for $14,900. The Corolla is exceedingly boring and bland, but still, that $500-600 dollar premium isn't much for the extra room and (more important to me) added features like standard keyless entry and cruise...
chocolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:38 PM   #18
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
A little over a year ago I was in KC and rented a Corolla. There was less room and I thought the cabin space seemed more cramped. The mileage was less too.

I always am looking to buy a new car, as I love cars, but when you drive a Yaris, you get used to the roomy interior and outstanding gas mileage. I drive about 95% of the time with just myself in the car and the Yaris is more car than I really need....in terms of interior space.

I wouldn't recommend that anyone buy the Corolla but everyone is different. I doubt Toyota will pimp up the Yaris like they do the Corolla but if leather factory and all the bells and whistles are your thing, Corolla isn't a bad alternative.

I just wish Toyota would provide some of the options that Europe gets. I guess its our payback for nuking the place.

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote