Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-02-2014, 03:57 PM   #1
tylerwatts53

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan
07 cranks, won't start--no fuel?...

Hi folks,

I'm hoping to tap into the collective wisdom here. I have an 07 Yaris that I bought new. We've put 170,000 miles on it so far and it has been trouble-free except for routine maintenance (oil/filters, tires, plugs @ 120K mi, etc.).

Friday we all got in (wife/kids and I usually carpool) and it started as usual, but then sputtered and died not a block out of the driveway.

Engine cranks strong--I replaced the battery less than a year ago. I also checked for spark at the plugs with a spark plug tester-- I have spark. So it must be fuel. I thought I might have just run it out of fuel, even though the fuel gauge is showing 2 bars, so I put 5 gallons in. Still nothing--cranks hard, but not firing. I should also note here that it is STILL SHOWING ONLY 2 BARS on the fuel gauge (it should be at least half full!).

To verify that it is a fuel problem, I shot some starting fluid in the throttle body intake--turn the key and, sure enough, it fires right up and will run for a few seconds on the ether.

I have since pulled the fuel pump and bench tested it by hooking up directly to a 6A 12V source; pump whirred to life and the remaining fuel in the sump began squirting out the outlet, so it looks like I'm OK there. Also, I hooked up an Ohmeter to the leads for the float, and it shows smoothly varying resistance through its range of travel (from about 80 with float at lowest level down to 0-10 at highest).

So this must be electrical, right? I have checked and re-checked the fuses (in the engine compartment panel) and can't find ANY that are blown? So is it a relay? Is there one that controls the fuel pump/ sending unit? Any thoughts at all on where I should be looking next will be greatly appreciated? (I would love to get this car up and running without dropping any $$ at the dealership!)

Oh, and one more thing I should note: hooked up an OBD code scanner and no codes are showing up (check engine light NOT on when ignition in on position).
tylerwatts53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical, fuel gauge, fuel pump, won't start