Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-28-2007, 11:27 AM   #1
pricerc

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Using stock speaker as adapter

Just a heads up for those of us that cannibalized the stock speakers and used them as mounting adapters. I thought that I did a good job of aligning the speakers with the door panels so that the circular ring behind the grill opening fit to the speaker correctly. As it turns out, the speaker is still too far forward and the surround was making contact with on of the ribs that go across the grill opening. This may not happen to everyone who does this - it could depend on the speaker manufacturer. I just wanted to let you guys know that it happened to me.
pricerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 02:37 PM   #2
Violin

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Auto
You talking about the front or rear?
Violin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:01 PM   #3
Spades
The Hated One

Drives: 07 White Manual Sedan
If you have a US sedan, I would not use the door speaker as a mounting bracket, they are far to flimsy.

If you dont have the cash to go buy a $10 set of adapter rings, then root around for some old 6.5" speaker grills you may have lying around. If you do, trim them up and use them as your spacer.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:09 PM   #4
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Drives: Yaris RS 5DR / Vitz RS wannabe
My front speakers have large drivers, and as a result the magnets are very big (depth wise).

I could not use the stock speaker as a bracket so I had to fabricate spacers.

See my signature for a template that will allow you to create a spacer bracket for the hatchback front/rear speaker locations.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:45 PM   #5
earljail

Drives: 07 Yaris Hatch 5speed
I didn't have a problem, but some speakers could require you to trim those ribs or the round piece on the inside of the door panel
earljail is offline   Reply With Quote