Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-03-2009, 11:29 PM   #217
nickhjort
My R1 eats my Vitz!!

Drives: '07 Vitz Lifty, Stick Shift
I can take some pics tomorrow. You need the back or front of the circuit board? I might see how hard it's gunna be to change the led's while I'm at it. Change the colors of my speedo and stuff.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:33 PM   #218
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickhjort View Post
I can take some pics tomorrow. You need the back or front of the circuit board? I might see how hard it's gunna be to change the led's while I'm at it. Change the colors of my speedo and stuff.
Both sides if you can get at them. If not, some good macros of the IC's so I can figure out what they are and the pinouts of them.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:57 PM   #219
nickhjort
My R1 eats my Vitz!!

Damn, thanks for doing all this $hit man. I'll get the pics for ya tomorrow.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:05 AM   #220
devinlamothe

Drives: '07 Yaris HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
When I was reading his post about using a torque wrench to loosen a bolt, all I could think was "somebody's dad is gonna be PISSED"
Hmm I am old enough to be a dad lol ... and don't worry, it's a cheap-o one from crappy tire that has a metal 'needle' bar that you can easily bend back. I don't care if it breaks or not, I just needed a long breaker bar type deal, and since breaker bars here are ~$30, it was cheaper to buy a $9 torque wrench for the same deal.
devinlamothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:24 AM   #221
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
Scott why not just take an OR gate and use that for the LED. Or a simple 2N2222 transistor setup as a switch.
The circuit needs to be a bistable flip-flop.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:05 AM   #222
mrbond

Drives: 2008 meteorite hatchback
Send a message via AIM to mrbond
Alright, so to make the OEM stalk work, how would it be different than what nickhjort is doing?
mrbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:15 AM   #223
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbond View Post
Alright, so to make the OEM stalk work, how would it be different than what nickhjort is doing?
The only difference will be that instead of ending up at his switches, your two wires will end at the stalk. Everything else is identical.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:24 AM   #224
mrbond

What about the extra wires I need? Any particular gauge or material?
Also - would I go about threading the wires through the steering wheel via the clockspring wiring?
And on the stalk, which wire is which? I have a lot of questions because the majority of this thread was about adding buttons for cruise control, and the stalk was only talked about at the very beginning.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:45 AM   #225
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
What about the extra wires I need? Any particular gauge or material?
Also - would I go about threading the wires through the steering wheel via the clockspring wiring?
And on the stalk, which wire is which? I have a lot of questions because the majority of this thread was about adding buttons for cruise control, and the stalk was only talked about at the very beginning.

I would go with somewhere between 18 and 22 gauge. Insulation material is not critical.

The wires are already in the clockspring, so you will just plug in the stalk connector when you pull off the steering wheel.

On the other end of the spiral cable (at the connector shown below, next to the yellow one) you don't have the blue and brown wires in pins 1 (blue) and 3 (brown), so you will either have to find pins that fit, or solder the wires right to the connector's pins.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:46 AM   #226
mrbond

I'm definitely missing something. Where do the additional 2 wires from D3 go? I mean, with the switch method for models other than the 09, it seems like you don't need to use D3. But since I'm going to be using the stalk, I need to use D3.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:22 PM   #227
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
I'm definitely missing something. Where do the additional 2 wires from D3 go? I mean, with the switch method for models other than the 09, it seems like you don't need to use D3. But since I'm going to be using the stalk, I need to use D3.
The connector above is D3. If you use the switch method for 08, then you go straight from the ECM to the switches.

For the stalk method the wire from pin 40 of the ECM goes where the blue wire is above in D3. Where the brown wire is in D3, you will run a wire from that position to a ground point.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:36 PM   #228
mrbond

And I wouldn't need to bother with the clutch control switch then?
Old 05-04-2009, 12:39 PM   #229
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
And I wouldn't need to bother with the clutch control switch then?
You would still need the cruise clutch switch (if your car is MT). It connects from the clutch switch (which you would have to add) on the pedal bracket to the under hood fuse box. It is separate from the stalk and its wiring.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:42 PM   #230
nickhjort
My R1 eats my Vitz!!

PCB for 07 Hatchback

Here's those pics CTScott...hope they are good enough. If you need more I can take more tomorrow. I'm heading to work right now...

\

Sorry there's so many on this post, but I figured the more the better :) Let me know what you think. Like I said before, I feel pretty confident in my basic electrical abilities. I can solder to PCB's and all that fun stuff. I would rather not switch the switches around (since I just got them all done and looking good), but however I can get that light to light up I'll do it. Oh and also I have a 12V LED in there right now, only cause I had a bunch laying around. Let me know if I need a different voltage LED too. Thanks again.

And I hope all this stuff is helping other people want to do this mod. I've spent less than $10 so far. $500 or $10...no brainer
Old 05-04-2009, 12:47 PM   #231
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Excellent pics! Let me scratch around them a bit and see what I can come up with.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:50 PM   #232
33OH

Drives: '08 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickhjort View Post
And I hope all this stuff is helping other people want to do this mod. I've spent less than $10 so far. $500 or $10...no brainer
Definitely watching. I hate doing electrical work, so waiting on another dummy like me to attempt it. Or a nice DIY wrote up.

Great work so far guys.
33OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 01:03 PM   #233
nickhjort
My R1 eats my Vitz!!

Well I'm your dummy ryank!
And Thanks for scratching around CTScott. My car is all put back together for now, so I won't get a chance to work on it again till this weekend. In the meantime, lemme know what you think about the LED. Thanks a million!
Old 05-04-2009, 01:14 PM   #234
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Excellent pics! Let me scratch around them a bit and see what I can come up with.

OK. To figure this out, we'll need the meter PCB to be hooked up to the car. What you'll have to do is turn the ignition on, and initially take 16 voltage measurements, then press your cruise on button and take the 16 again. If one of the 16 changes after turning cruise on, we'll know that that pin would drive the cruise LED if the car had one.

IC500 and IC501 are the "8 bit shift registers". Each of them can drive 8 LEDs. We need to look at pins 3 through 6 and 11 through 14 on each.

Pin 1 is the pin under the "1" after the IC50x label. In your picture which has the text upside down, Pin 3 is right above the middle of the 00 in IC500 and right above the 1 in IC501. In that view, 4, 5 and 6 are to the right of 3.

Pin 9 is at the top right in that view (next to the upside down 9). Pin 11 is two pins to the left of 9. 12, 13, and 14 are to the left on 11.

So, connect it up, turn the ignition switch on, and measure from a ground point to each of those 16 pins. They will measure ~0.5 VDC, or ~5.0 VDC.

Then, press your cruise on button and measure all 16 again.