Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-27-2009, 06:30 PM   #1
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
HID flickering problem - DRL fog - Problem solved.

Alright... I just came back from a modification of my DRL module to make the fogs as DRL.

I'd like CTScott and PK to shed the light on this as my dad did most of the work.

I have the completely headlight/DRL wiring diagram (a huge illustrator file). To my understanding, the BLUE wire on the relay is what allows the DRL to work.

As for the fog, upon unplugging the DRL module, they no longer work. This problem was easily solved by grounding the ORANGE wire from the same harness. But this causes the fogs to work independently from the whole exterior lighting.

Alright.. What i wanted to do was keeping the same functionality of the fog (fogs to NOT work independently).

So, this is where the fun begins. Basically, what should be done is disconnect the blue wire form the harness from is current location (pin1 from the module) and connect it to the orange wire of the harness. Simple isn't it?

Noticed it doesn't work as it should.. the fog relay was flickering like an analog clock, sped up 400x. So we thought it did not get enough juice for the fog relay (weird isn't it?) So we added another relay in the module to bypass the power, but that also did not work. both relay went flickering at 400x! lol

This is when we understood that, in order to get lowered output for the DRL, it power flickers.. This is when I thought about plugging the HID with the DRL on without a relay harness. The HID would flash like crazy.

solved the issue by adding a 100uf cap between the blue wire and orange wire.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:41 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
You shouldn't have connected the orange wire to the blue. Just disconnecting the blue wire is all that you need to do. I walked derflosser though this a few weeks ago, but it was via PM, so it didn't make it into a thread.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:31 PM   #3
IllusionX

ahem, i wanted the fogs to be my DRL, without having to manually switch it on and off.

the DRL power is actually pulsed.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:47 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
OK. I totally missed the first line that you were trying to use the fogs as the DRLs. Yes, the output of the DRL module is pulsed, which is why it's not good to attempt to drive HIDs from it. For the incandescent fog bulbs the capacitor solution is fine. If you look closely, they are probably pulsing, but at least are not flickering.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:44 AM   #5
IllusionX

Yeah.. And connecting the blue wire to the orange wire, pulsed the OEM fog relay. solved by adding a capacitor.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:25 AM   #6
mr.white_hb

Drives: '05 Vitz JDM
IllusionX are you using 6000k HIDs in stock housing with headlights aimed down slightly or you got a retrofit housing made? and would your wiring scheme work for the '05 Echo Hatch what like you had before?

mr.white_hb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:58 AM   #7
IllusionX

I don't think it's the same wiring. Different colours perhaps? Though, the echo does not have fogs installed from factory, the writing is there, but.....

My HID are BMW bulbs.. ~4300k. I still do not have a retrofit made yet and they are not really aimed down. When i look on the walls as i drive by on the highway, it's pretty much 0degree. I'm looking for an old pair of headlights so i can mess with it.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:42 AM   #8
mr.white_hb

Drives: '05 Vitz JDM
very very hard to find old pair of headlights... same here I'm looking for
an old pair of headlights for my echo so I can do a retro-fit projectors perhaps find projectors from a tsx, S2000 or even BMW. so hard =( to find why oh why!!!

mr.white_hb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:09 PM   #9
WD-40
07 Yaris RS

Drives: Red 07 Yaris RS
pics please .. I tried this and got nothing
Old 10-01-2009, 06:37 PM   #10
IllusionX

What "this" did you try?

keep the DRL module plugged in, and cut the large BLUE wire. It is a little tricky for those who do not have much electronic knowledge to use the relay itself to turn on the fogs.

I already did not do a good job, as doing it this way, turns on the fog indicator on the dashboard. I don't like that very much.