Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-28-2010, 05:12 AM   #1
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

Drives: Black 08 LB MT & red 97 Miata
Unhappy I ran over a deer carcass on the highway (mildy graphic pics)

Well on the highway home tonight, I hit a deer carcass. There was a dead deer lying right in the middle of the lane of the 65mph highway and I ran over it, most likely doing 70mph. I didn't see the damn thing until I was right on it, and between all the blood that was on it, and its color it looked like a much smaller animal, which is why I tried to straddle it, rather then swerve. Thinking back on it, swerving might have been the worse decision, as hitting it with one of my wheels might have caused more damage and for me to lose control. As it sits the damage looks like its located entirely in the frame which holds the radiator/aircon radiator/fan at the bottom. Also destroyed one of my fog lights which I just put in. I haven't had time to look at it thoroughly, as i need to clean it off first. It seems to be drivable, and tracks straight, so hopefully its fixable. My main worry is the deductible and my insurance rates, as I have super expensive rates as it is. I plan on taking it to get estimates, and if the estimate is any where near the deductible, I'm just going to get it fixed, or possibly fix it myself if I can get the parts.
Attached Images

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure
and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell
CtrlAltDefeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:57 AM   #2
chrisj
Hooch Brewer-Shine Sipper

Drives: 2009 5-dr LB
That's terrible. The damage is bad looking, but the underneath looks like something out of a "Saw" movie. :/ Hope it doesn't cost a fortune to get fixed. You need to find some way of lifting it and jet-spraying the underside. I think I'm sick now... Sux to see any car damaged like that, since this could happen to anyone. I live in Ky. and there's stuff all over the road all the time.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:09 AM   #3
BLH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Bummer.
Here in CT. I have had deer cut in front of me and race down the road parallel to me.
No fun.
Hope it does not cost too much to fix.
BLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:58 AM   #4
krolos

Drives: 2008 yaris sedan
Dead deer on the road when dark can be hard to see sometimes even at slow speeds,
had a few close calls myself.
It seems like it is just a matter of time when we are going to have close
encounter with Deer, for those of us who live in Deer Country.
krolos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:29 AM   #5
henry33

Drives: yaris1.33
that have to be real bang
luckily you didn't loose control, over the car should be worse.
what insurance do you have ?
I pay 260 Euros per year and If I make some crash etc I have to pay 165 Euros but the rest is covered by insurance ;)
henry33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:32 AM   #6
DebbyM46227

Drives: 2017 Yaris IA, Pulse Red, Auto
Yuck to that bloody picture! And so sorry this happened to you.
DebbyM46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:54 AM   #7
STC
"LibertyRides!"

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3Dr LB | 2020 Stang
Wow... must of been a large deer! Very difficult to see in nightime with glare and other factors.

Here in central PA I'm always dodging dead and alive deer!

Cheers!

Most miles Tank: 538 tank/10.148 gal = 53.015 MPG / Most MPG: 54.95 MPG (ethanol) 425 tank/7.73 gal

"The evils of government are directly proportional to the tolerance of the people." -- Frank Kent
STC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:39 AM   #8
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

Drives: 2007 BLAZIN BLUE YARIS 3 DR
i did same thing WITHOUT the damage but my GT SPEC bars will never be the same again!!! also being my lazy self i didn't clean off the meat and it started to smell after a week........

TOYOTA PARTS AT A DISCOUNT........
ROCKLAND TOYOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 11:24 AM   #9
suckerface
#1 Lemming

Drives: Light Blue '08 Yaris
Major bummer! Hope you get it all figured out without too much money sunk into it. Accidents like this suck during harsh economic times.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:26 PM   #10
maxxman420
prop215.

Drives: Toyota Yaris LB
gnarly man just like final destination "deer edition"
maxxman420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 01:08 PM   #11
henry33

luckily the yaris did not activate the airbags since it have smart ecm :)
Old 09-28-2010, 03:51 PM   #12
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
sorry to hear about the damage to your car. you're probably right, however. you did the best thing at that speed by just hitting it instead of trying to swerve.

i will tell you that this time of year it's common to see deer(both dead and alive) in the roadways due to the hunting season opening up. in indiana the youth season opened last weekend and the regular season opens october 1st. the deer are 'spooked' from people suddenly invading their space and shooting at them. many times they will just run as far and fast as they can to escape without regard to traffic, etc.
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:36 PM   #13
sickpuppy1

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Most of the family on my Mothers side are farmers and ranchers in mid Missouri. One uncle in particular has a large section/acreage on his property that is dense woods. This time of year it is LOADED with deer. We all swear they know he doesnt allow hunting on his property and come there to hang out till its over. The woods border his fields, so at night they come out in droves. Really cool to watch. But it also borders highway 19, which is a twisty-turn and ya rerally gotta watch it there cause they jump the road at all hours of the day, and sometime in groups of 10 to 15!
Old 09-28-2010, 10:42 PM   #14
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry33 View Post
that have to be real bang
luckily you didn't loose control, over the car should be worse.
what insurance do you have ?
I pay 260 Euros per year and If I make some crash etc I have to pay 165 Euros but the rest is covered by insurance ;)
that sounds insanely cheap. i wish i could pay that little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickpuppy1 View Post
Most of the family on my Mothers side are farmers and ranchers in mid Missouri. One uncle in particular has a large section/acreage on his property that is dense woods. This time of year it is LOADED with deer. We all swear they know he doesnt allow hunting on his property and come there to hang out till its over. The woods border his fields, so at night they come out in droves. Really cool to watch. But it also borders highway 19, which is a twisty-turn and ya rerally gotta watch it there cause they jump the road at all hours of the day, and sometime in groups of 10 to 15!
I am sure they do know. but man if that isn't enough of a reason we should be mass farming them. Venison on every table!
Old 09-29-2010, 12:01 AM   #15
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
That will buff out, So you killed a already dead deer? j/k j/k
Sorry about ur car man,
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 04:35 AM   #16
henry33

Quote:
that sounds insanely cheap. i wish i could pay that little.
Here is normal to pay so cheap in other Europe countries the insurance cost fortune
Old 10-01-2010, 03:25 PM   #17
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

Drives: Black 08 LB MT & red 97 Miata
Well Sayuki is in for repair... looks like Bambi did about $2k worth of damage. kinda irked that my fogs are broken and Garm doesn't sell the yellow ones any more. They are going to take that out of the deductible which is nice, but now I don't have any fogs again. If I buy new ones someday, I'll have to install them again... they should pay me for my labor too. I wonder if they will remove the wires/lamps...

Any ways, the rental place gave me a bottom-of-the-barrel hyundai accent which I hate. It's an auto, feels like its on stilts, and accelerates like old people screw. Why would they build a 4 door car with manual locks and no keyhole on the outside?? Whatever the case, I miss my Yaris, and she won't be back until around Oct 11th

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure
and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell
CtrlAltDefeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 04:17 PM   #18
bkndacn

Drives: 2009 Toyota Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDefeat View Post
Why would they build a 4 door car with manual locks and no keyhole on the outside??
Wait..... How do you get in the car?? lol