Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-14-2011, 12:07 PM   #1
ToYarta

Drives: 2006 Red Yaris 3-Door
Newbie with an exhaust leak on his '06 Yaris

Hi guys,

I have a red 2006 Toyota Yaris 3-Door (82,000 miles and going ) that's been more reliable than Old Faithful- save for an exhaust leak that has recently developed. The tall-tale "tappety-tappety" sound only makes itself heard at idle and low-RPM so it's not THAT irksome of a problem. I'd just rather resolve the issue before it starts to get on my nerves

So I began to investigate the precise source of this leak only to notice that the bolt attached to the exhaust manifold insulator was missing. Could this possibly cause an exhaust leak or does the problem most likely originate from a leaky exhaust manifold gasket? Refer to this diagram to see which bolt I'm talking about (ref # 91631):

Please note that this diagram belongs to toyotapartszone.com and is not mine
ToYarta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 04:50 AM   #2
07YarisTypeS

Drives: 07 white Type S
So are you saying your bolt connecting your exhaust manifold to bracket 25591 is missing? or one of the bolts connecting the manifold to the downpipe is missing? i can tell you that a missing and/or loose bolt on connecting the downpipe and manifold can definately cause a rattle as I have experienced it..

If its the bolt connecting to the 25591 bracket, i mean its possible but i doubt theres an exhaust leak, but maybe just the rattling it does sounds similar?

Wherever you are missing the bolt, im sure thats your problem area..
TRD Springs, Stock Rims bridgestone tires, Tanabe Front Strut Bar, 35% front door Tint and 20% Rear doors back Tint, De-Badged Ass, LED Brake lights and Reverse Lights, Chrome Plated turn signal bulbs, Custom painted flat black interior, Pioneer DEH P6200BT, IPOD adapter, Infinity components up front with custom mounted tweeter, Inifinity 6x9's out back, 1 12" kicker comp cvr
07YarisTypeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 07:50 AM   #3
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
^ OP has identified a heat shield securing bolt to be missing. This will not cause an exhaust leak in the system. It could however be the source of a rattle, which could be described as a "tappety-tappety" sound.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:00 AM   #4
Vinceb

Drives: 2008 5 Speed Sedan
since the post says exhaust leak, i'll post this here. seems like the first question was answered already. I've got an exhaust leak or at least that's what it sounds like. Upon acceleration the car sounds like it's spitting (stick your tongue out at somebody and blow, pftt pftt) that's the best sound I can relate it to. it does not happen when cruising on the highway or at idle only when accelerating. The sound is coming from the engine bay.
I talked to a trusted mechanic and he says all the Echo's and Yaris have this problem once they get above 125,000km (I'm at 149,000km) anyway, he said it's where the manifold makes it's first connection to the exhaust under that heat shield in the pic above. He told me it's a tapered doughnut gasket which wears down on one side and when you accelerate it pulls the 2 apart slightly allowing exhaust to escape. the bolts are so horribly rusted they look like they're round so i'm going to let him do the job. Labor and parts (gasket, bolts and springs) $150 or less. anybody else have this issue? Car goes in on tuesday. thanks
Vinceb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 12:24 PM   #5
Vinceb

Drives: 2008 5 Speed Sedan
well took the car in, they got the old rusted bolts and gasket out and the new ones in quite fast. 3/4 hour labour + parts + tax was only 100 bucks, worth it to me and the car sounds like a brand new car again, no more noise.

they changed the gasket labeled #6 in the pic and new bolts and springs as well, # 7 & 8
Attached Images
File Type: gif 8327175.gif (6.9 KB, 693 views)
Vinceb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:48 AM   #6
Kazimodo

Drives: Yaris 2007 3 doors
Good Info

Thanks to all who posted pictures (drawings )
I have been tolerating this exhaust leak for more than a year now
I will get to it in the coming weeks , lots of loose-nut overnight
and praying to get the rusted nuts out .
P.S.
I also see there is another donut in the back ,( # 11 ,with 12 , 13 )
that one moved once in the winter after going thru heavy packed snow
and I got a big leak for 30 seconds but I guess the springs
got the pipes back together and the rear noise never came back.

,,job done , quite easy , bolts came out without any trouble
(thanks to the "loose-nut probably ) , the bolts could even have been reused
but I had new ones so I have a set of spare used ones , the dealer didn't sell
me the springs , said no need to replace , he was right , showed me the new
springs , and my old ones were same length , minus 1/16 inch.

Last edited by Kazimodo; 06-23-2012 at 10:04 AM.
Kazimodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:34 AM   #7
yuri2002

Drives: Yaris HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinceb View Post
well took the car in, they got the old rusted bolts and gasket out and the new ones in quite fast. 3/4 hour labour + parts + tax was only 100 bucks, worth it to me and the car sounds like a brand new car again, no more noise.

they changed the gasket labeled #6 in the pic and new bolts and springs as well, # 7 & 8
I just had #6 donut gasket replaced too. Now it is like a brand new car
yuri2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:08 PM   #8
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Good thread, I might order me those bits to keep handy....

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:13 PM   #9
tatsimaru
I've made a post!

Drives: Yais 2008
My girlfriend car have the same problem, how hard is is to change on a 2010 Yaris and where have you baught the part. The dealer ask her 85$ for the part and 200$ in labor.
tatsimaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:46 PM   #10
suckerface
#1 Lemming

Drives: Light Blue '08 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatsimaru View Post
My girlfriend car have the same problem, how hard is is to change on a 2010 Yaris and where have you baught the part. The dealer ask her 85$ for the part and 200$ in labor.
For $100 less than that price, you could pick up a brand new header that comes with the donut gasket, and get better performance as a bonus!

http://shop.microimageonline.com/Meg...R-SSH-TY06.htm
Old 10-04-2012, 07:42 PM   #11
cmac138
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 yaris
My wife took her 2007 to the stealership for an oil change and they told her she needed a new gasket "between the front and middle exhaust pipes" (I've known about the leak for a while but it never really bothered me). They wanted $1,400 to replace it!!! Looks like I'll be doing it myself this weekend. Thanks
cmac138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:28 PM   #12
Kazimodo

Drives: Yaris 2007 3 doors
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac138 View Post
My wife took her 2007 to the stealership for an oil change and they told her she needed a new gasket "between the front and middle exhaust pipes" They wanted $1,400 to replace it!!! Looks like I'll be doing it myself this weekend. Thanks
I think your wife want a fur coat
and was going to pass it on the exhaust bill ,
too bad for her , you have 2 hands , and tools
Kazimodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:29 AM   #13
RG01

Drives: 07'Toyota Yaris;02 Toyota Echo
Hey Everyone,
I am so sorry, I do not know how to post a new thread to ask this but, can anyone PLEASE, please, PLEASE help if you are able to with a problem I have had which leaves me locked out of my 2002 Yaris Sedan...basically, the tone that lets you know that you have left your keys in the ignition, (that annoying buzzing sound), has stopped working for a while now and I keep locking my keys in the car. :-( Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I REALLY would greatly appreciate it so very, very much.
RG01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:35 AM   #14
RG01

Unhappy PLEASE HELP PLEASE!!

Hey Everyone,
I am so sorry, I do not know how to post a new thread to ask this but, can anyone PLEASE, please, PLEASE help if you are able to with a problem I have had which leaves me locked out of my 2002 Yaris Sedan...basically, the tone that lets you know that you have left your keys in the ignition, (that annoying buzzing sound), has stopped working for a while now and I keep locking my keys in the car. :-( Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I REALLY would greatly appreciate it so very, very much.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:36 AM   #15
RG01

Sorry bout that I meant to write 2007 toyota yaris.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:36 AM   #16
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
For future reference, as you could not have chosen a more off-topic to post under, click on the link below, select the correct area to post under, and then click on the "New Topic" button at the top of the list of threads.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/index.php

In regards to the issue, it could be the detection switch on the steering column, the cluster itself, or a fuse.

I would start by checking the MET fuse in the fuse box that is under the bottom of the dash (put your head on the driver's carpet and look up, just behind the hood release lever).

Also, if you don't have the keys in the ignition and just open the car door and turn the headlight on, do you hear the tone?
Old 10-17-2012, 11:59 AM   #17
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Carry an extra on your person. That's what I've been doing for. Years.

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:59 AM   #18
ochy38

Drives: '08 Yaris 3 door
Figured I'd bring up an old post rather than start a new one... I'm in the process of fixing an exhaust leak on my girlfriends '07 3-door. At first, I thought it was just the rear gasket between the cat and muffler that was bad, so I got THIS GASKET:

to fix it, and it definitely seems like a totally incorrect part. So now i'm thinking its one of the bigger looking gaskets, the pictures look similar to the donut gaskets for the before-cat connection. I'm now thinking I'll need to replace both, are they the same gasket for the front and rear locations? they look awfully similar.
ochy38 is offline   Reply With Quote