Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-29-2011, 01:43 PM   #1
LugNut

Drives: 2007 2DR Liftback
Question Shiny glass-looking plastic flakes from HVAC, and windshield

Hello all!

Newbie here, but long-time user of other similar forums including www.rav4world.com.

Looking at buying a neglected 2007 Yaris Hatchback with typical issues, but a couple that I need some advice on before I make a firm offer:

1) There's shiny little flakes of plastic coming out of the top and bottom air ducts, into the cabin, especially when on high-fan. The flakes look like broken pieces of safety glass, but aren't -- they are thin-film plastic. I'm guessing its some factory insulation that's already breaking down. Did a quick search here, but didn't quickly find if this is common. But either way:

Is this failing plastic after (downstream of) the heater core and AC evaporator, or before them (upstream)?

Anyone replace this failing stuff, and if so, what's involved/cost/etc.?

2) The front windshield has a quarter-size impact/star crack. Repair places aren't open today here, but a remote quote was US$150 for a repair, $380 to replace the windshield. Any experiences/cost comparisons?

Thanks! I'm a heavy-duty D-I-Y'er (including engines, transmissions, electrical, etc.), so hopefully I can make a deal for the Yaris and be a regular here.
LugNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 03:29 PM   #2
UTVitz

Drives: Black Vitz Liftback
you say neglected-I'd pull the cabin air filter and see what's in it, of course being neglected it may have never had a filter installed which is located behind the glove box-they never came from the factory with a filter installed. Could be something got spilled down the vent openings and is slowly flaking off in the duct work as the blower is in use. If there's no strange odor from the flakes I wouldn't give them too much thought, they'll probably go away. This model year of Yaris was known for a stinky a/c evaporator-so if it smells like musty dirty socks-it will always be this way. The problem is in the metal the evap. is made of and may corrode over time. Super expensive labor fix-about 4 hours worth plus a 200 evap. core.

A windshield star/chip repair should not exceed $20. And I've had my windshield replaced for around $150 a year ago so shop around
UTVitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 03:45 PM   #3
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTVitz View Post
Super expensive labor fix-about 4 hours worth plus a 200 evap. core.
I'm pretty sure this is warranty/defect work and the customer is not charged.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 05:22 PM   #4
LugNut

Thanks -- car is now almost five years old, and would be the third owner, so I'd guess Toyota wouldn't cover the AC work? But wasn't stinky on my test drive, however it was cool here today.

The shiny/mirrory flakes don't seem like dried-something. Strange stuff that looks just like broken tempered glass pellets, only thin plastic.

I just looked at cabin air filters at Wallyworld -- they wanted $16+ for a green-colored-box filter by Fram. I think it has a fancy carbon-coating on it. Same oil filters as RAV4.1s.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:43 PM   #5
UTVitz

The a/c evaporator smell was only covered under the new car warranty of 3years 36K miles as a TSB. Once you're out of that, there is no coverage. I got mine replaced right before I ran out of warranty and what a difference-the smell mostly occurs when you first turn the a/c on for a minute and then again when you turn the a/c off while still running the ventilation. If you didn't notice it, the car is probably fine, it didn't effect all of them, just some.

The flake issue is probably from something that got into the vents. If not when you have the cover open where the filter goes the blower is in good view and I'd see if something is peeling off the fins-just a guess on my part, but there's not much else in there that has any kind of finish that could be coming off. Honestly just a basic filter is good enough and $14 will get you one at an auto parts place-several toyota models use this filter. The carbon laced ones are more than double that price and are very effective if you have allergies.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:54 PM   #6
LugNut

Hmmm ... I wonder if it is something like Lysol? Maybe someone really spray-soaked it to deal with the odor?

Anyone know what a dried, thick layer of Lysol, or similar mold killer, would be like?
Old 11-03-2011, 09:47 PM   #7
LugNut

Thumbs up Got it!

Bought the car today from a nice person who'd only drove it 2500 miles or so since buying it a while back.

I hadn't noticed before -- this Yaris has what looks like factory-installed cruise control on the left side of the steering column. I don't see it on the list of standard or optional equipment for 2007 liftbacks on Edmunds.com. Was it standard, or a factory or dealer-installed option? Thanks.

Lots of prep work on tap this weekend before I start driving the Yaris routinely next week. New MAXX battery, from Wallyworld, is first on the list.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:46 PM   #8
UTVitz

Cruise was not available on the hatch till 2009/2010 I believe. It was only available on the sedan if I recall correctly, 'cause I wanted cruise, but not the sedan. That, and factory cruise is a small control stick the size of a thumb on the lower right side of the steering wheel. Hopefully it works good.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:30 PM   #9
LugNut

Interesting. I'll take and post a pic. Found an instruction sheet in the glovebox over the steering wheel, but it has no brand name markings on it.

Replaced the spark plugs and PCV valve -- originals were quite good, but I always do them when I buy a car. Also cleaned the engine bay. Lots more cleaning and maintenance, and a new battery tomorrow.

One quart of ATF WS fluid cost almost US$10 at the dealership! They didn't have the 1F8 touchup paint in stock.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:22 PM   #10
LugNut

Cool Gettin' there

New battery purchase and installation started off the day -- WM's Maxx battery is highly rated by CR, so went with it (US$90). It was just a bit taller than the original so I had to bend the tab on the rear of the tie-down to get it to fit. Works great, engine cranks much better.

Detailed the engine bay -- looks great. Used Vinylex which isn't dirt cheap but gives a really good finish. Replaced the serpentine belt which looked brown and shiny, but was otherwise OK. Antifreeze good to -40! Checked the brake pads and shoes -- all fine at about 75%/50%.

Putting back on those original wheelcovers, with the tabs/spring wire, was a pain on three out of four. Three have bad curb rash -- if you have spare pristine OEMs for 2007 15-inch steel wheels, send me a pic!

Then about two hours just vacuuming out the car -- lots of accumulated stuff from neglect, but nothing too nasty except a few spots from ice cream. Three raisins found, but no money! Sure are a lot of compartments, some hidden, in that car. And lots of pieces in the spare tire area (tire was down to 30 psi).

Then a few hours of scrubbing the door and hatch jambs and frames, the gas hatch area, and the interior. Looking much better, but a full detailing will have to wait. Hopefully I can put the car in service after four or so more hours work on it tomorrow.

Four new speakers on order to replace the crapo Toyotas. Spare self-powered subwoofer waiting too.

Anyone convert their two-door to a two-seater? I saw previously someone's thread on weight reduction and saying it looked do-able. That sheetmetal bump under the front of the spare is spotwelded, so could be removed with care. Maybe a summer project for me.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:28 PM   #11
LugNut

Talking Now put in service!

Despite the overnight earthquake (in OK, felt here in KS), the neglected-but-now-maintained 2007 Yaris is back in service!

All new wipers (found good advice here on popping the cover off the back wiper's mount, so the arm could lift up to change the blade; all three are Ancos via RockAuto.com), HVAC filter installed (was none), AC drain line cleared (no bad), tires scrubbed and dressed (look great!), windows cleaned twice, clock reset, bird-poop spot in paint mostly rubbed out, and daily-driver accessories installed (first aid kit, fix-a-flat, etc.). Rain predicted for the next two day, so balked on the rewash. Also will need to fix or replace the windshield soon.

Will be interesting to see how the Yaris behaves this week on the daily commute. Co-workers' comments will be interesting, I'm sure.

Will soon post a pic of the cruise control and ask if anyone knows about it in a new separate thread on the site.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:36 PM   #12
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Can you post some pics of the car? I have a 1F8 Hatchback myself, the best color, IMHO...
Welcome to the community!

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:04 AM   #13
LugNut

Thanks!

Only taken a couple of quick pics so far in an ugly setting, for insurance purposes, and of the cruise control posted in another thread (got a quick answer!).

I have touch-up paint and new wheel covers on order, and still need to repair/replace the windshield. Just got in four new speakers to replace the OEM coffee filters, but it will be at least a couple of weeks until I can start installing them.

The Yaris is very stock looking now, but probably next summer I will start the mods like reversibly converting it to a two seater -- I always post pics of such projects, and the challenging repair work.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:38 PM   #14
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
Quite the detailed detail! Did you miss a few crumbs and forget to report it?

Sounds like you are very proud of your Yaris! Wear it with pride!

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:57 PM   #15
LugNut

Thumbs up Wheel covers look good!

Yep, and that was just the basic cleaning! A fully detailing must wait, maybe until the summer.

Just got in and installed the four new wheelcovers. Look sharp! The eBay seller was "hubcaps4you" -- excellent deal for less than $70 delivered. The wheelcovers are marked Toyota and Made in Spain on their insides.

Car is driving very well. It will be interesting to see the MPG. Sipping the first tank now, including a bottle of fuel injector cleaner, and at this rate it will be a long time until I go in for a fill-up.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:39 AM   #16
LugNut

Took the Yaris to a glass shop to have the preexisting star-type windshield crack repaired, but unfortunately they found that someone else had already tried to repair it. So a new windshield is in order, $275 quoted by them, $249 by another. It'll wait, at least until the clear title comes back from the state.