Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-26-2013, 06:16 AM   #19
hotnoodle

Drives: 2006 Yaris hatchback
The remote is the easiest part to move! just snaps right on in the other side right?
Fingers crossed it works!
its in the exact position as the other key so i dont see why not, unless I broke it in the process :(
hotnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:27 AM   #20
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotnoodle View Post
The remote is the easiest part to move! just snaps right on in the other side right?
Fingers crossed it works!
its in the exact position as the other key so i dont see why not, unless I broke it in the process :(
Yes. Swapping the remote is easy. I wasn't sure from your picture if it or the outer case was the broken part.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:37 AM   #21
hotnoodle

Drives: 2006 Yaris hatchback
Ahh I understand what your saying now.
Thanks very much for your help and advice on this matter.
I will update as to how I went in the next few days once I get the key cut.
Thanks again!
hotnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 04:53 AM   #22
Super_BQ

Drives: 2006 New Zealand Model
Quote:
Anyone ever successfully remove the transponder? It would beworth a try wwouldn't it?
I've just done this for our 2006 Yaris 4dr hatch. Original key was a water resistant rubber like surface over unlock / lock button. Over time the rubber would wear a hole where the buttons were. I don't know why Toyota went this way but I bought a replacement Toyota key blank which had individual hard plastic 2 buttons. After hearing what the local NZ Toyota dealer wanted $343 NZD ($213 for the key remote + $130 for shop time to reprogram) - I took matters into my own hand.

Purchased a blank key with remote shell online $15, then swapped remote keyless entry module / battery into the new key. Took it down to a key cutting shop and had it cut for $13. The shop told me I needed a transponder which he was correct, what most people do is have 2 sets of keys (which didn't make sense). The original key house was cracked and could barely turned the key in the ignition, so it made good sense to butcher it up to retrieve the transponder. Toyota used some epoxy like glue which proved to be difficult in getting the chip out - i'm sure many may have ruined the transponders by careless cutting. Had used hack saw and a sharp razor blade and small jewellery flat head screwdriver (for careful prying). You know Toyota could of easily made the chip removable as the chip fits snug enough into the new key.

I guess Toyota dealers don't have the skill or want the risk of trying to extract the transponder chip out. Much easier and profitable to charge out for new key and programming.

Super_BQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 05:26 AM   #23
KimmoKekki

Drives: Yaris T-Sport
Help with replacing 2 button key remote

I paid 170€/$ for the key and 20€/$ for programming ! Just remember not to ruin all black coloured keys ! That grey service key cannot be used when programming new keys !!
Here in northern Europe keys are like this
KimmoKekki is offline   Reply With Quote