Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-27-2016, 12:36 PM   #1
Jesper M
Jesper M

Drives: Toyota Yaris Verso 1.3
Have: A very fine Yaris Verso ... with a slight fuel smell issue.

Hi Yaris forums,

I'm a pleased new owner of a Toyota Yaris Verso (the high cabin version) 1999 model which otherwise works fine but has a slight issue with a bit of fuel smell inside the cabin. I hope someone here may be able to help with this ...

I've recently had a mechanic look at it but he could not find any indication that the fuel line was leaking - and so I wonder what it may be

I've looked into Haynes' Yaris' Service and Repair Manual and what appears as a possibility is the charcoal canister ... but apparently not being entirely simple to deal with (I'm not a skilled mechanic) I hope there may be other more likely reasons that are more accessible to check and possibly repair.

As it is there are no fault messages in the dash board and it went through the latest MOT test in november 2015 without any issues (by previous owner, though, and I have not been able to make contact with this person).

Might some of you here in this forum have experience with this - and have a suggestion as to what may cause this?

Cheers & thanks for any help

Jesper M
Jesper M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 04:01 PM   #2
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Fuel smell leak line fill pipe vent

Also check the fill pipe and fill vent pipe(if there is one). Cap check is the only emissions testing in my county.
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 10:04 AM   #3
Jesper M
Jesper M

Hi ... thanks for your feedback & suggestions. I will look into this.

However, today I drove the car again and I think I've identified at least some of the smell - and now I'm not sure it's actually a fuel smell. Noticed it when I turned on the blower (no heating - air intake from the outside) and the air coming through the air intake system is a little bit "sharp" and sweet - not smelling neutral.

To get an idea about what this might be I looked into the Haynes manual I have and, well, there's a heating matrix with a heat exchange system. Anyone know if this is likely to e.g. leak cooling fluid into the air intake system? Not hoping so though ...

Cheers,

Jesper
Old 08-28-2016, 04:10 PM   #4
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
That is possible. But leaking coolant would not smell anything like fuel.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 03:18 AM   #5
bairjo

Well if you think it could be the coolant, I'll ask the obvious...do you know if the hoses were ever replaced? If not, being a 17 year old car, I would start with inspecting them when the engine is hot and the heater is set on high . Run it a while then shut it off. Then let your nose do its thing along with a flashlight to see any vapor seeping out around the hose clamped fittings. Also, inspect the pump seals... That's what I would try first. Regardless, whatever it is you find is the smell, please be sure to let us know what it was. Good luck.
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 03:25 PM   #6
Jesper M
Jesper M

Hi all,

Thanks for your inputs but I haven't had much time to look at it yet. Will get back when I have had the opportunity to get back to this. Thanks again ;-)

Jesper
Old 10-06-2016, 02:01 AM   #7
07liftback

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Sounds like there might be a leak in your exhaust somewhere. My old Nissan had a crack in the exhaust and the fumes would come straight into the cabin because it was poorly insulated.
07liftback is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel smell, repair, yaris verso