Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-09-2006, 01:35 PM   #1
GabL
I want JDM bumpers!

Drives: 5 Dr Yaris RS in Blazing Blue
Rear defrozer

Hi, just want to verify, is the rear defrozer on the Yaris timed? As in will it turn off itself? Coz the switch seems like a push button to me, it is depressed when activated. I never tried to leave it on long enough to come back up itself.
GabL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 05:37 PM   #2
Sp33dY
www.OZTOYOTA.com

Drives: Toyota Echo
I Would GUESS it is NOT timed and you have to press the button to switch it off?
Old 03-09-2006, 06:17 PM   #3
jdgriswald
5-Door Envy

Drives: '08 Scion xD
Check the owner's manual. More likely than not, it is timed.
jdgriswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 09:00 PM   #4
jay

Drives: 2006 Yaris LE 5dr AT
Ah, good question! This is something for which Toyota has published contradicting info.

On that red-bordered window sticker, there is line explicitly stating "electric window defroster w/timer" under the "equipment on all yaris hatchback models" column. I don't remember if this was also mentioned in any other ad copy.

However, pg. 107 of the Canadian owner's manual states:

"To defog or defrost the rear window, push the switch. ... Push the switch once again to turn the defogger off. Make sure you turn the defogger off when the window is clear. Leaving the defogger on for a long time could cause the battery to discharge, especially during stop-and-go driving." [emphasis added]

The manual appears to be correct. I've left the defroster on as an experiment a few times, but I gave up and turned it off after 20-30mins every time.

Mind you that I haven't had a ton of experience with cars, but I find the lack of a timer extremely unusual We have enjoyed a warmer-than-usual winter in Canada, so the lack of a timer maybe hasn't been as annoying this year as it otherwise could be. I remember as far back as my parents' 1980 Chevette having a timer-controlled defroster.
jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 09:16 AM   #5
GabL
I want JDM bumpers!

Drives: 5 Dr Yaris RS in Blazing Blue
And I saw on Toyota.ca that Yaris HB is with timed defroster... so...
GabL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 09:42 AM   #6
kralmrax

Drives: 06 yaris rs
the rear defroster on my 06 yaris rs will stay on until i push the button again. it's a bit of a pain, as i often forget that its on, and i don't want to burn out the switch or waste power. but it's only one of the few things i don't like about the yaris!
kralmrax is offline   Reply With Quote