Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-06-2009, 12:22 AM   #1
rkvin21

Drives: 2012 Toyota Yaris SE
Wet float bearings

What is bad about using Wet float bearings(oil cooled journal bearings?)? I know that it is best to have ball bearing but to what point are they better. I have seen cheap t3/t4 turbos that have wet float bearings. Ik the saying you get what you pay for but it would be nice to get a turbo for less than $500. I did a search in google and came across a forum about using ebay turbos. Pretty much it has been a hit or miss with them and it is unclear as to what caused their turbo to fail to tell if it was only the turbo itself being poorly manufactured or not. I also came across a site that sells turbos and does turbo rebuilds http://www.blaastperformance.com/index.php.
rkvin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:38 PM   #2
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
Nothing bad about regular journal bearing turbos...

Actually the Journal bearings will usually last longer than a ball bearing unit...

The Ball bearing units have the benefit of a quicker spooling time... but you can address spooling time by making sure you get the right size turbo for your application.

Don't even look at the ebay chinese turbos. You can get a good quality turbo for less than $500.

Look for Impreza take offs... Lots of Subaru folks upgrade to a larger turbo after just a few thousand miles on the OE unit.

Tamago here used a turbo out of an STI with good success.

Another good candidate can be a K03 turbo from the 1.8T Volkswagens.

I've seen them new for less than $400...
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 02:09 PM   #3
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
the STI turbo (VF39) was to full boost by 3800RPM which IMO is spectacular, given the displacement of the 1nzfe vs the EJ257
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote