Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-22-2012, 09:40 PM   #1
Ratz

Drives: 2011 Yaris 4 Dr. Sedan
ScanGauge II Clean Install

After testing the gauge for couple of days, I found it to be a great asset.

Location of the gauge was another matter. I new the dangling gauge from the mirror will not do and dislike to see wiring.

Here is what I did. Removed driver’s side pillar trim. I had some trouble due to Air bag curtain and was unsuccessful in saving the two retaining clips. Best way was to just pry it off starting at the top. Then with side cutters I cut the clips. Trim then came off nicely. I was happy to find a lot of room to pull the wiring between the dash and the pillar. I used tie wraps to lay the wire beside the existing wiring harness as not to interfere with curtain air bag. I think it may be a good idea to disconnect battery and wait 90 seconds before working with air bags. (There is no need to take the air bag off). I did not have to pull the headliner off, as the thickness of the ScanGauge II wire was thick enough and just pushing it under the headliner seemed to snap in behind the lip. The shop manual for 2007 year Yaris (that is all I have) suggests the clips must be replaced. Pillar snapped in nicely with the old clips, which were cut off. However in case of an accident the pillar trim likely would just fly off with the old cut clips and side curtain may not do it’s job correctly. I purchased new clips from Toyota at $5 each. I then took off the rear view mirror, pulling it off the ball joint (there is likely easier way). I took the four screw out from the ScanGauge II and removed the back cover. I then drilled two holes on the top and two holes on the bottom of the cover about one inch from the center line. Top holes are drilled for access with the watchmaker screwdriver and bottom holes for #4 pan head screws. I then drilled matching holes in the top of the mirror housing to accommodate the screws. As top of the mirror has a slight slope I made a little wedge from a black plastic about 7/16 of an inch diameter and 1/16” to 0” thickness. I then screwed the back panel to the mirror housing. I then installed gauge to the back cover putting a piece of electrical tape over the screw heads that they do not touch the printed circuit board. Looks good to me and it is easy to see the gauge.

The whole job took about one and a half hours, but most of the time was spend to save the pillar trim clips, which turned out impossible.

Ratz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:32 PM   #2
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Nice. Too high for me tho.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:03 AM   #3
Revsson

Drives: 2009 Meteorite Metallic LB MT
I haven't mounted mine yet, but have thought about putting it up there.
However, I am really leery of working around the airbags or breaking the pillar clips.
Would you happen to have any pics of the pillar removed or showing where you wire
tied the cable?
Revsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:47 AM   #4
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
I had mine mounted there too. I think it is the perfect spot for it.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:50 AM   #5
10 Francis

Drives: 2010 Yaris S HB
Your repair manual doesn't describe how to take the clips out without destroying them?
Use a needlenose pliers and twist the end 90 degrees. They should slide right out.
10 Francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:03 AM   #6
Chuck G

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Mine sits perfectly on my steering column.
Chuck G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:59 AM   #7
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Francis View Post
Your repair manual doesn't describe how to take the clips out without destroying them?
Factory service manual says those clips are one time use. I believe they are meant to break because Toyota doesn't want you messing with the covers...
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:20 PM   #8
OTA'sTOY
DAT'S RIGHT I GOTz 2

Drives: '10 5dr
if carefully removed they are reusable but not recommended
those clips are to prevent the panel from smacking you n pass in the head in the event of an accident that would trigger the curtain air bags if your yaris is equiped with them

OTA'sTOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:34 PM   #9
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Francis View Post
Use a needlenose pliers and twist the end 90 degrees. They should slide right out.
+1 - No damage done to them either.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:11 PM   #10
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck G View Post
Mine sits perfectly on my steering column.
That's where I have mine too
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:47 PM   #11
Em_

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Nice job

Any of you know how to make the scan gauge II show the tranny temp?
Em_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:10 PM   #12
Ratz

Drives: 2011 Yaris 4 Dr. Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revsson View Post
I haven't mounted mine yet, but have thought about putting it up there.
However, I am really leery of working around the airbags or breaking the pillar clips.
Would you happen to have any pics of the pillar removed or showing where you wire
tied the cable?
The cable with orange tape is original. I used tie wraps to run the ScanGauge II wire along side of it.

Here is the photo.

Ratz is offline   Reply With Quote