Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-09-2012, 04:48 PM   #1
griz4718

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Wet carpet drivers side back seat floor

2007 Yaris Base model with 85000 miles. I just found the carpet and under pad soaking wet on the drivers side back seat foot well. I did not start removing the interior YET but I will. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if you found the culprit?
Thanks in advance.
griz4718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:23 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
That used to be a common issue. There are two plugs that are often found in the glove box, when purchasing a Yaris, that were supposed to be installed by the dealer. The picture below shows the location on one side:

Drain Plugs.jpg
Old 12-10-2012, 09:48 AM   #3
griz4718

That is exactly the plug I pulled out and found the padding soaked. I purchased the car used in Feb. 2012. All of those plugs are installed. I was hoping that someone else found where the water can get in. There is no water up front on either side and none on the rear passenger side. I did find some wetness in the spare tire area so I am going to seal the tail lights. Thanks!
Old 12-10-2012, 01:44 PM   #4
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
The source of water may also be the rubber plugs that are located in the hatch area under the mat / cover . There's another 1 next to or under the spare tire . These plugs are sometimes not properly installed from the factory or come loose over a period of time . Good luck and let us know if the leak stops .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:56 PM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

The plugs that Herhsey mentioned are definitely worth checking, as well as the tail light gasket on that side.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:17 PM   #6
griz4718

In the spring I am going to start investigating. I plan to pull out the interior aft of the drivers seat and do a garden hose check. I have been under the car and don't see any missing or unseated plugs. At least I am aware of the problem and can check it now and then until spring.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:49 AM   #7
TheFridge

Drives: Yaris
Anyone get a fix for this ?

My rear drivers side is soaking. The plugs are in. But not sure where to start

Any help appreciated.
TheFridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 05:46 PM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFridge View Post
Anyone get a fix for this ?

My rear drivers side is soaking. The plugs are in. But not sure where to start

Any help appreciated.
Check the front carpets to make sure it isn't the AC condensate overflowing. If the fronts are dry, then check the door weather stripping on that side as well as the hatch weatherstripping and the gasket behind the tail light on that side. The last thing to check is the seam under the trim strip along the edge of the roof.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:48 PM   #9
TheFridge

Cheers, will check them all tomorrow
Old 01-08-2015, 08:40 PM   #10
darkshadowv3
I've made a post!

Drives: 2010 Toyota yaris
In my 2010 Yaris the Passenger back seat bottom carpet is soaking wet, the drivers side front and the drivers side back set are dry. I noticed there is a plug as shown in the picture right where the carpet is getting wet. I should be able to get the plugs from the dealership right?
darkshadowv3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:36 PM   #11
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkshadowv3 View Post
In my 2010 Yaris the Passenger back seat bottom carpet is soaking wet, the drivers side front and the drivers side back set are dry. I noticed there is a plug as shown in the picture right where the carpet is getting wet. I should be able to get the plugs from the dealership right?
I think you meant to say that there is not a plug there. Check your glove box, as the Yaris ship from Japan with the plugs in a bag in there and many fail to get installed by the dealership at pre-shipment inspection and remain there.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:30 AM   #12
El Kapitan
Senior Veteran

Drives: 2007 5 door hatchback
...and yet they never forget to charge for the PDI.
El Kapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:05 AM   #13
nortonfb

Drives: 2007
Under the spare the plug was present but it was still allowing water in.
The edge in one section was rolled a bit from improper install. I reinstalled it,
using sly-gyl around the the lip to seal it. So far no leaks.
Grease should also work.
Norton
nortonfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 11:12 PM   #14
El Kapitan
Senior Veteran

mine's a little iffy as well. i'm going to leave it for now while i check other things.

a threaded drain plug in that spot would have been nice.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:41 PM   #15
TheFridge

Ok,
So I have checked the bulkhead and was all clear. The boot (trunk) seem so be water logged too.
Took off the taillights and checked the seals.There was moisture on one of them (opposite side).
Anyone have a part number for the gasket ? or a better fix

Thanks
Old 02-17-2015, 05:50 PM   #16
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFridge View Post
Ok,
So I have checked the bulkhead and was all clear. The boot (trunk) seem so be water logged too.
Took off the taillights and checked the seals.There was moisture on one of them (opposite side).
Anyone have a part number for the gasket ? or a better fix

Thanks
81554-0d250 right or 81564-0d250 left
Old 02-19-2015, 01:35 AM   #17
El Kapitan
Senior Veteran

mine has been leaking lately. my tail lights have been resealed and are not letting any water in.

i took off all of the paneling in the rear area and i noticed by seeing the watermarks on the metal that the leak was/is coming in from somewhere up high and then running down past the tail light access vent and into the bottom of the car. the only areas i have not already sealed are the hinges for the hatchback at the top of the car and the antenna. there is no water staining on the headliner and when i pulled it down to take a peak, i could not see water marks or moisture in the inside of the headliner but i'll reseal the antenna anyhow just to be safe. the whole thing has been quite frustrating.

the reason why i am mentioning all of this is because some folks earlier in the thread were saying that they had water in the passenger area floor on either the driver's or passenger's side of the vehicle. when i had the paneling off i could see quite easily how water could flow from the wet hatchback area, down over the "top" of the rear seat slope, and into the floor area on either side of the vehicle. i even found a little moisture down there in my own car (not much).

so people, if those rubber plugs on the underside of your car (which CT Scott posted the picture of) are properly in place, you might want to check for leaks somewhere in the upper rear area of your car. depending on the path the water ends up taking, it can trickle down the inside of the paneling and out into the lower cargo area from under those little tool box things. from there it can go to many places depending on the slope of your car at the time it leaks in.

edit: i went and looked at a low mileage 2010 today and noticed water stains in the same area as mine. what's up with these cars? they're great little cars in most respects but so much water leaking...
Old 01-31-2016, 11:27 PM   #18
EchoLovesYaris

All I'm going to say is.... This sucks so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EchoLovesYaris is offline   Reply With Quote