Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-14-2016, 09:37 AM   #1
z0mb13k1ll

Drives: '15 Dodge Challenger
DIY Grille cover?

I live in Canada and winters are always hard on my car, mostly the fact that it struggles to stay warm, out of my last 20 recorded trips my car got to ~80C (180F) only 3 times. It is averaging 66.5C which is within acceptable range, but by less than 2 degrees.

I usually end up getting very little warm air from the vents. My cooling system is running 19PSI which isn't optimal for cold conditions, Is there some way to DIY a Grille cover? Nobody sells them for the car because they believe only large diesel vehicles need it, but i'd like to not be a popsicle inside the car while driving.

Was thinking about doing something on either the bottom half or top half of the split grille, I would cover it completely and let the air come in through the very bottom grille but it gets blocked with snow quite often so i don't want overheating all of the sudden.

Would some black quilted leather (or similar) with some grommets in it work? I could bolt it through the grille and use large washers or just use cable ties.
z0mb13k1ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 09:56 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
I remember a thread from a couple of years ago where someone took some black foam, cut it to fit the grill and cable tied it in place. It did not look bad and was very effective. I only drive 7 miles each way to work and the mornings are fine, as my car is parked in my heated garage overnight, but leaving work at night I remote start my car 15 minutes before I leave to get it up to temp before I make the 1/4 mile walk to the parking lot. I keep thinking I should try the grill block to see if I can reduce my fuel wasting time.
Old 02-14-2016, 11:17 AM   #3
z0mb13k1ll

Drives: '15 Dodge Challenger
Ah, i found the thread you mentioned http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8985

but I don't think that it's the right ;look for me, saw someone commented on it saying they used some 3m plastic with a few holes in it, might try that and see if you can tell if it's there at all. or put something behind the grille, it's pretty easy to pull off since i purposefully left those 2 screws holding the grille on the table last time i took the bumper cover off
z0mb13k1ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 05:31 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by z0mb13k1ll View Post
Ah, i found the thread you mentioned http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8985

but I don't think that it's the right ;look for me, saw someone commented on it saying they used some 3m plastic with a few holes in it, might try that and see if you can tell if it's there at all. or put something behind the grille, it's pretty easy to pull off since i purposefully left those 2 screws holding the grille on the table last time i took the bumper cover off
That one is pretty hideous looking. There was another where a sheet of foam was used and it looked a bit more tame.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:15 PM   #5
Pokey

Drives: 2010 4 Door Hatch 5 Speed
I made a grill cover out of black cloroplast and secured it with toggle bolts (the kind that spring open. Makes a HUGE difference at -36C

Haven't needed it this year, but I store it under the floor with spare off season
Pokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 08:38 AM   #6
instantninja

Drives: 07 yaris rs
i made one from cardboard and black duct tape, just to see if it would help any. I did the upper grill as well as the lower and had no over heating issues. for $5 it was worth it, and they lasted 3 seasons.
instantninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diy, grille, sedan, yaris 2007