Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-08-2011, 06:12 AM   #1
XOG

Drives: Yaris 5dr D4-D
HELP! Fuel filter change on 1.4 d4-d

Hi.

Just about to do the service today, spent shed load on a fuel filter, but question is how do you change it?

I have read a few things about it being in the fuel tank, but I'm sure that's the petrol not diesel. I think I see it in the engine bay, high up towards the back.

Looking at the filter, it has a small thread in the top like an oil filter, but then a large thread on the bottom? Can anyone help???...

Oh, and does the systems pressure cause any probes?

Last edited by XOG; 10-08-2011 at 06:28 AM.
XOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 07:09 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The fuel filter for the D4D is under the hood and is quite large. There is a drain plug on the bottom of it to release the pressure. After releasing the pressure, you remove the bottom cap and then remove the body of it, which is the filter element. It is very similar to the filter for a home oil-fired furnace.

The 23322 part is the drain plug and 23303 is the filter element.

D4D Fuel Filter.jpg
Old 10-15-2011, 06:21 PM   #3
746watts

Drives: 2014 yaris hybrid
I have a D4d too, remove your battery to give you room to get at the filter, follow CT Scott's post then. Once you pull off the fuel hoses and float switch block connector at the bottom and the 91671-80614 bolt (10mm socket), the filter plus mounting plate lifts upwards and out. Now you can do the rest of the dis-assembly on a clean work bench.
:)
746watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 12:29 PM   #4
daga81

Drives: Toyota Yaris 1.4 D4d
Hello guys,

I am new at the forum, I am from Madrid, Spain, nice to meet you all!

Here I am coping with my first fuel filter change ever (I am not too much of a diesel regular). I tried to change it in my Yaris 1.4 d4d 2008, but I eventually didn't go for it because I felt that I wasn't knowing what I was doing at all.

I tried to remove the filter without unmounting the filter structure from the car, I couldn't do it because it was very hard, and I didn't have enough room for the chain wrench either. I did not release the pressure... now I am pretty sure that that was something that wasn't helping much either.

So I have two questions, I hope someone can help me out.

First is that, once released the pressure, do I have to disconnect the fuel hoses and take out the whole filter structure or I might be able to change installed in the car?

And the second issue is, I have seen in other cars a manual pump to restablish the pressure once the filter is changed, but I wasn't able to see such a thing in my Yaris. After filling the new filter with gasoil and remount it back again, what else do I have to do to restablish the pressure?

Thanks guys!
David
daga81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:00 PM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by daga81 View Post
Hello guys,

I am new at the forum, I am from Madrid, Spain, nice to meet you all!

Here I am coping with my first fuel filter change ever (I am not too much of a diesel regular). I tried to change it in my Yaris 1.4 d4d 2008, but I eventually didn't go for it because I felt that I wasn't knowing what I was doing at all.

I tried to remove the filter without unmounting the filter structure from the car, I couldn't do it because it was very hard, and I didn't have enough room for the chain wrench either. I did not release the pressure... now I am pretty sure that that was something that wasn't helping much either.

So I have two questions, I hope someone can help me out.

First is that, once released the pressure, do I have to disconnect the fuel hoses and take out the whole filter structure or I might be able to change installed in the car?

And the second issue is, I have seen in other cars a manual pump to restablish the pressure once the filter is changed, but I wasn't able to see such a thing in my Yaris. After filling the new filter with gasoil and remount it back again, what else do I have to do to restablish the pressure?

Thanks guys!
David
Yes - You need to remove the hoses and the entire assembly to separate the fuel filter from the rest.

The service manual says to use a hand pump to prime the system and refill the filter after replacing.
Old 02-25-2016, 04:49 AM   #6
daga81

Drives: Toyota Yaris 1.4 D4d
Ok I will dissasemble the whole thing, I have checked it out and is not that messy.

How do you do the manual pump thing?

Thanks!
daga81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 08:33 PM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

The manual pump would require a hand vacuum pump.
Old 08-06-2017, 10:24 AM   #8
Teka
I've made a post!

Drives: Toyota Yaris D4D
Hy guys.Sorry for my bad English . Not my first language.
I tried to replace the diesel filter but didn't have the necessary tools and I still don't understand something.
Is the drain plug at the bottom of the filter screwed or does it come right off by pulling it with force?
I don't want to do something that I will regret.
Sorry for reviving this old thread.
Car is a toyota yaris 1.4 d4d.
Teka is offline   Reply With Quote