Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Tracking, Racing, Auto-X Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-14-2012, 11:31 PM   #37
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Drives: light blue liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerb View Post
Ok let's just say I want to run my '10 Yaris in H-Stock, well at my age the SCCA Stock class rules are more confusing than ever. If I get this straight I can add a rear swaybar, drop-in air filter, adjustable shocks w/stock hieght perches, crash bolts, after market brake pads, and R-Compound tires. But what about brake rotors, can you use after market, as in slotted and/or cross drilled rotors (stock diameter of coarse)? Oh and did I also see that the traction-control can be dis-abled? The last time I ran Stock classes, the cars were just that, stock with very limited R-Compound tires in use. In fact I won an E-Stock and D-Stock club Championship with totally stock vehicles, only changed tires.

Hate to sound so stupid but, went Road Racing years ago and kinda lost touch with the Auto-X side of things, any help would be great!!

racerb
I think Jason will know better than anyone else here but my understanding of the rules, you can put whatever shocks you want as long as they retain the stock perch, you can change brake pads, you can change rotors as long as they weigh the same or more than stock and are the same diameter. As for traction control I believe it can be disabled via switch if available but it cannot be disabled via fuse but don't quote me on the traction control i'm not totally positive on that.
xnamerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:37 AM   #38
racerb

Drives: 2010 Yaris HB Blazin' Blue
Thanks for the reply, most of this is just what I thought, am really most curious about the TC on these cars. I've heard lots of horror stories about the Electronic Grannies taking control and all sorts of bells and flashing dash lights going off. I kinda like to drive by the seat of my pants, so this does not sound very appealing to me!!

racerb
'98 Rav4L
'01 Tundra SR5
racerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:19 PM   #39
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerb View Post
Ok let's just say I want to run my '10 Yaris in H-Stock, well at my age the SCCA Stock class rules are more confusing than ever. If I get this straight I can add a rear swaybar, drop-in air filter, adjustable shocks w/stock hieght perches, crash bolts, after market brake pads, and R-Compound tires. But what about brake rotors, can you use after market, as in slotted and/or cross drilled rotors (stock diameter of coarse)? Oh and did I also see that the traction-control can be dis-abled? The last time I ran Stock classes, the cars were just that, stock with very limited R-Compound tires in use. In fact I won an E-Stock and D-Stock club Championship with totally stock vehicles, only changed tires.

Hate to sound so stupid but, went Road Racing years ago and kinda lost touch with the Auto-X side of things, any help would be great!!

racerb
The rules for stock class have not changed significantly since I started in 1993, the only change I have seen in my times is the recent allowance for front OR rear swaybar changes.

The TRD rear bar has always been stock class legal for the 07'-11' Yaris, it is a factory port install option (good news for 12' cars, this could get added to your options list soon). The current rule however now allows you to use any rear bar. Or in the this case you could use the TRD rear bar and change your front.

Any air filter element in the stock box may be used, or you can run without if you want.

Any shocks up to double adjustable, must be within 1" +/- overall length of the OE shocks, and perch must be in the stock location.

Crash bolts can be used, but only the OE or equivalent, you cant use the cam style.

Traction control can be turned off via the factory switch, or the factory service back door method. You can not unhook the sensors, or mechanically disable the system in a way not intended by the manufacturer.

Any brake pad can be used, pre-1992 cars can replace rubber brake lines with braided, rotors must be OE or equivalent - they can not be driller or slotted.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:53 PM   #40
racerb

Drives: 2010 Yaris HB Blazin' Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@SportsCar View Post
The rules for stock class have not changed significantly since I started in 1993, the only change I have seen in my times is the recent allowance for front OR rear swaybar changes.

The TRD rear bar has always been stock class legal for the 07'-11' Yaris, it is a factory port install option (good news for 12' cars, this could get added to your options list soon). The current rule however now allows you to use any rear bar. Or in the this case you could use the TRD rear bar and change your front.

Any air filter element in the stock box may be used, or you can run without if you want.

Any shocks up to double adjustable, must be within 1" +/- overall length of the OE shocks, and perch must be in the stock location.

Crash bolts can be used, but only the OE or equivalent, you cant use the cam style.

Traction control can be turned off via the factory switch, or the factory service back door method. You can not unhook the sensors, or mechanically disable the system in a way not intended by the manufacturer.

Any brake pad can be used, pre-1992 cars can replace rubber brake lines with braided, rotors must be OE or equivalent - they can not be driller or slotted.
Ok, thanks for the reply. The last time I auto-xed with SCCA was in '90 or '91 not sure now it's all a blur. When I drove my '89 Civic Si in D-Stock, a K&N filter, Yokohama A008Rs, and a 4-point harness were the only mods. About all you could do, except for aftermarket shocks and I don't even think they could be adjustable, but don't hold me to that either.

I really want to be able to enjoy this car like the cars of the past, so auto-xing is my cheapest way out. Going to do some more research and see where it all goes, but the local SCCA group may just have another H-Stock car before long!!

racerb
'98 Rav4L
'01 Tundra SR5
racerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:54 PM   #41
NJ Drive

Drives: 2012 Yaris SE
So far after two events it looks like the Yaris is only a few tenths behind a similar prepped Mini.
I did 3 runs in my Yaris then 2 in an '06 Mini at Friday's test and tune.

Yaris: 34.2
'06 Mini: 33.9

I should have taken another run in my car to see if course familiarity was the cause but I'm just happy it's that close. The Mini was definitely set up more loose than my car as it took little effort to shake its rear around nicely. It seemed to have a little more punch when accelerating too... the Yaris has a noticeable delay when applying throttle.

Having rigid upper strut mounts on the front of the Yaris would help a lot too, but not legal.
NJ Drive is offline   Reply With Quote