Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Tracking, Racing, Auto-X Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-03-2012, 07:30 PM   #1
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
2012 LTA Land Speed Runs/Trails Harvest Event - new class record set

Well it was only around the corner this year from the Main Event, a scant 6 weeks so timing was tight for many that wanted to make significant changes to attempt to perform better than they did at during July. The event was both the 1st and the 2nd of September 2012 and the weather at least on the 2nd could not have been nicer. I wasn't able to make it to Saturday as that was the day that we had to drop off our daughter to college a 6 hour drive away. I was told that Saturday wasn't really all that successful for folks even though the temps were around 68 degrees and the humidity was low due to 25+ mph headwinds.

I made it back from the college trip around 1 a.m. Sunday morning and drug myself out of bed at 5:30 a.m. to get the final preparations made to head on out to the runway. I was a little disappointed that we didn't get going until 9:30 or so since at 8:00 the air was crisp in the mid 50s with no winds at all. I am confident that this would have made for eeking a few more mph out of Tiamat. Regardless the day was a pretty big success with the modifications that were made. Each of my 5 runs prior to the final run were increases over the last. On my last run I actually came in roughly 3/4mph less than the 5th due to being struck out of the blue by a stiff cross wind about 50ft before the markers which slowed me down. I was able to set a class record of 134.5mph in the mile and then 143.3mph in the full course. I am pretty happy. My top by GPS was 147mph on that final run before the gust of wind.

A couple other notable items from the event:

My buddy's truck from JRT Customs pulled a 197mph by the marker. He was at 205 by GPS however he backed off a little right at the end because he was just about at his rev limiter and didn't want to break the rocker arms. He was finally able to perform several runs before having a break down. He lost 3rd gear after taking off very well on his final run. He has had a history of supposed "bulletproof" transmissions giving out especially at 3rd gear. This is a 6 speed tranny and has been perplexing because 4th gear is his 1:1 power gear, but by 3rd he is producing so much horsepower than it hasn't stood up.

My buddy with the yellow 427 BOSS Mustang was only able to make a single pass on Saturday. He managed 177mph on the full course, but forgot to turn on his water pump and by the time he saw his temps spike above 260 degrees at the end of the run it was too late.

The safety director has a 30's coupe that he races with and was attempting a 220mph pass and had parts of his motor let go on him. He was able to get 211mph on the mile and then 218mph on the full. He did not realize that the damage happened that did until he attempted to make a second pass on Sunday.

This go around on Sunday had many motorcycles producing over 200mph with some female riders in the mid/high 180s and through the 190s. These are great feats as there are not as many female riders and they tend to have more trouble controlling the bikes at such high rates of speed.

Here are some pictures from the event:

http://s1132.photobucket.com/albums/...0Event%202012/

I am processing the videos and will be posting up in the next couple days.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote