Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Tracking, Racing, Auto-X Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-21-2013, 04:23 PM   #37
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by FHT_Racing View Post
That sucks. I met alot of very nice people/volunteers/PWC staff that are rooting for me to make the Grand Prix in October. I've even put together some great sponsors, so we shall see...
There is no doubt the PWC group wants you there, they want the car counts, entry fees and to put on a good show.

Last edited by Jason@SportsCar; 05-21-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Jason@SportsCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:42 PM   #38
Larry@CFR

Drives: Wishing for '12 B-Spec Yaris
Jason, does that mean the 2012-13 Chevy Sonic which just submitted their B-Spec kit won't be approved either?? I hope this isn't another manufacturer controlled class!!! Best of luck with the CRB.
Larry@CFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:46 PM   #39
FHT_Racing

Drives: 2009 Toyota Yaris 3-Door
I think because there is not an actual "kit" from Toyota, that manufacturers don't want competitors to be able to bolt on what ever they want. The only cars that are racing are ones with actual B-Spec kits(Honda, Fiat, Ford, Mini, Mazda).
FHT_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:31 PM   #40
racerb

Drives: 2010 Yaris HB Blazin' Blue
Quote:
I think because there is not an actual "kit" from Toyota, that manufacturers don't want competitors to be able to bolt on what ever they want. The only cars that are racing are ones with actual B-Spec kits(Honda, Fiat, Ford, Mini, Mazda).
That is what is so puzzling about the Yaris, the fact there is a TRD suspension system, exhaust, and drop-in performance air filter, seems like a B-Spec kit to me!!
'98 Rav4L
'01 Tundra SR5
racerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:32 PM   #41
Jason@SportsCar

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerb View Post
That is what is so puzzling about the Yaris, the fact there is a TRD suspension system, exhaust, and drop-in performance air filter, seems like a B-Spec kit to me!!
It is a very hypocritical process... What I believe it really comes down to is who will pony up the money for a pro racing program.

The rational for not allowing the Toyota B-Spec kit because it is not a "factory" submission does not fly for a number of reasons:

Out of the currently approved cars in B-Spec with kits only two were actual factory efforts, Mazda and Honda. The Fiat 500 was built by Angry Sheep Motorsports, the Ford was from Phoenix Performance, Mini from Mini of Charleston, Kia from Kinetic, these are all race teams/prep shops or car dealerships. While they would have had factory backing they are not the same as the Honda and Mazda builds.

We were on the original B-Spec committee, serving as Toyota representative - in the same manner as Mini of Charleston and Kinetic - but as soon as it was clarified that Toyota was not going to go with a Pro B-Spec program we were shut out. If you don't get the answer you want ask someone else, but in this case they could not find anyone at Toyota who would say yes to pro.

The losers in this are the people that want to race a Yaris and the class itself. While B-Spec Yaris are never going to pop up in mass numbers the class is currently last in national participation numbers, even one or two Yaris could help. Sadly, based on the Club Racing numbers it appears to me the class would die if World Challenge pulled the plug.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:36 PM   #42
Jason@SportsCar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry@CFR View Post
Jason, does that mean the 2012-13 Chevy Sonic which just submitted their B-Spec kit won't be approved either?? I hope this isn't another manufacturer controlled class!!! Best of luck with the CRB.
I think they will get it because they are committed to Pro/WC. Tail wagging the dog.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:24 PM   #43
FHT_Racing

Well then the Yaris "B Spec" build is on hold. But I am going to keep building it/tracking it til the end of the year. Then I will decide on where exactly to commit :) Taking the car to a rally event next weekend!!!

Thanks for all the info, opinions, and luck!
Old 06-17-2013, 07:34 PM   #44
Larry@CFR

Thumbs up

Quote:
Well then the Yaris "B Spec" build is on hold. But I am going to keep building it/tracking it til the end of the year. Then I will decide on where exactly to commit :) Taking the car to a rally event next weekend!!!

Thanks for all the info, opinions, and luck!
Andrew, I really hope you do keep going with the BSpec build! I think, at worst, the Comp Board will have a year-end test for all of the manufacturer cars. I just hope between you and Jason, at least one Yaris can be at the next test session. Have you considered building it to the BSpec rules, make up you own TRD list of parts & run in STL? That would give the CRB input to parts, speed and competitive weight. Best of luck whichever way you go!
Old 06-18-2013, 02:49 PM   #45
racerb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry@CFR View Post
Andrew, I really hope you do keep going with the BSpec build! I think, at worst, the Comp Board will have a year-end test for all of the manufacturer cars. I just hope between you and Jason, at least one Yaris can be at the next test session. Have you considered building it to the BSpec rules, make up you own TRD list of parts & run in STL? That would give the CRB input to parts, speed and competitive weight. Best of luck whichever way you go!
That is exactly what I was thinking, TRD has struts/shocks, lowering springs, rear sway bar, oil and air (drop-in) filters, and even a axel-back exhaust system. Put these items on the car, run them in whatever class you're allowed to run and just hope for the best. In fact contact TRD/Sparks in Myrtle Beach SC and see if they would work you a deal on the whole package.

racerb
'98 Rav4L
'01 Tundra SR5
Old 06-23-2013, 01:24 PM   #46
FHT_Racing

Thanks for the great input. I actually work at Fred Haas Toyota here in Houston and have already received the parts in stock. We'll see how it goes...

I DID however run the car at an event this weekend and took 2nd place :)

Street Tire 2WD class with Texas Rally Sport! Took 3rd fastest 2WD lap and 2nd Place in S2! Had a blast and is definitely the funnest race weekend I've had in a looooong time.

Thanks,

Andrew
Old 06-23-2013, 04:44 PM   #47
racerb

Cool, love running those events! We used to call them Dirt Autocrosses back in the day, won a few times in home build Civic 1200s.

racerb
'98 Rav4L
'01 Tundra SR5
Old 06-24-2013, 01:54 AM   #48
7:34pm

Drives: 07 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@SportsCar View Post
Wish we could swap with you, ours needs to get out more.

Are these the oem steelies? With what size tires?

They look beefier.
7:34pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:34 AM   #49
FHT_Racing

Stock steelies and 205/50/15 tires.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:10 PM   #50
FHT_Racing

Just to cheer everyone up, got a few sponsors committed for next year and will be starting the build back up soon!!! Already purchased the tubing for the cage and am on the look out for a extinguisher and little odds and ends.

Thanks,

Andrew
Old 09-15-2013, 08:35 PM   #51
racerb

Good to hear you haven't given up, I decided just to Auto-X my Yaris and build my Celica for road racing. If you need a good deal on safety gear for your car, check with Ron at Discovery Parts, he will give you package pricing for the works.....
http://www.discoveryparts.com/

Ron provides trackside support for all our races and even sponsors quite a few Drivers.

racerb
'98 Rav4L
'01 Tundra SR5
Old 10-01-2013, 10:59 AM   #52
TRacing
I've made a post!

Drives: Cars
Hey you all, any updates on this? I ran across this thread searching for any B-Spec Yaris projects after seeing there was no notes in the GCR so wasn't sure if a kit was available...guess not.

I was considering building one this winter for next season as the Yaris can be found much less than a Mazda or Honda. Please keep this updated to if any package will be approved.
TRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:37 PM   #53
Jason@SportsCar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRacing View Post
Hey you all, any updates on this? I ran across this thread searching for any B-Spec Yaris projects after seeing there was no notes in the GCR so wasn't sure if a kit was available...guess not.

I was considering building one this winter for next season as the Yaris can be found much less than a Mazda or Honda. Please keep this updated to if any package will be approved.
The CRB and B-Spec committee have been a challenge to deal with... The committee is made up of the manufacturers that support BS in Pro Racing (Mazda/Honda/Fiat/Ford/Mini/Kia), and they essentially don't want anyone to come in who is not committed to Pro Racing. Toyota had no official interest in BS until it became a National Club Racing class, and still have no interest in Pro Racing.

Because Toyota will not enter World Challenge the BS committee and CRB have made no effort to approve the kit we submitted on behalf of TRD over a year ago. We have had a number of exchanges via email and phone with members of the committee and got nowhere.

Finally at this years Runoffs we put them on the spot in front of other members at the CRB town-hall, asking why our kit had not been approved, as they let BS sit dead last in participation numbers. They alleged that they offered us the TRD kit with a 100lb weight penalty and we declined. This was completely untrue. We now have a verbal, of course I am not holding my breath, that we will get the kit with a 100lb weight increase to the car - moving it from 2420lbs to 2520lbs.

On the surface this sounds bad, but when you compare the Yaris to its nearest rival on paper, the Mazda 2, it should be ok. The Mazda 2 has had a number of weight hits over the last year, and as of next month will reportedly have to weigh 2450lbs ( http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/...9%20prelim.pdf ) this was supposed to happen in Sept but they decided to wait until after the Runoffs. The Mazda 2 also just got a restrictor plate in World Challenge, and the CRB says it will follow the WC adjustments, so that car will get even slower.

Unfortunately these cars all continue to get slowed down in an effort to make the Fiat competitive.

Last edited by Jason@SportsCar; 10-01-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Jason@SportsCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:21 AM   #54
Larry@CFR

To those who have built a Yaris or are in the process, what weight is the gutted body and what is the weight with a full comp SCCA cage? I am looking for the difference in Andrew's 2009 & the 2012? Thanks!