Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 09:53 PM   #127
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
I would agree with that if only I could find a shop that sold them I have checked everywhere around here. Freakin newbie I thought that would be an easy tool to find.
Jester - you still need one? Ill send you one.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:17 PM   #128
churp
Clean and (dis)Functional

Drives: Yaris 2dr--Black Betty
I welded a rod onto the side (towards the top) of a cheap socket and it worked fine. Just gotta have a cheap welder!
Old 05-18-2007, 04:59 PM   #129
MrJester

Drives: homo
I mean I could use one but I got my springs installed so I am good.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:27 PM   #130
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
THANK YOU for the diy, it was really (really, really) helpful.

Took two of us about 3.5 hours, but we messed with the plastic and metal under the hood for a while. I had to remove the metal shroud there completely to get to the top of the front strut bolt. Just went super slow and careful, I"m always afraid I'm going to break or lose something.

I would say air tools are a big plus. We used an air tool on the top front strut bolt, so we didn't need the allens wrench in there. I couldn't get a box end on there solid enough to loosen that one.

Didn't need to compress the rear springs at all (the rears as SO EASY).

Anyway, thanks again for the DIY, and the DF210's are a PERFECT drop for this car. Pictures forthcoming (it got dark while we were working...)

woo hoo, gonna go drive it around now!!
Old 05-31-2007, 09:31 AM   #131
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
Hey Chris07LB, you should put in your required tool the Spring Compressor. If someone (complete noob) tries to do it without one, they will get one hell of a suprise and maybe a trip to the hospital. Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:01 PM   #132
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

You should read the DIY again.. its not only shown in the pics, but also mentioned a few times.

This is only a "guide" to help with the install/removel process.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:08 PM   #133
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
I think he's trying to call you a NOOB KILLER, Chris.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:56 PM   #134
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Old 06-05-2007, 10:53 PM   #135
nsmitchell

Holy Shit! These Megan springs are excellent. I just got finished installing them tonight (pics tromorrow) and I went to fix a friends computer. Coming home I went down a road that has been torn to crap, like a 2 foot wide ditch was dug in the middle and patched really crappy. With my regular OEM springs I could only take a few seconds of my right tires riding over that crappy patch job, but with these new ones, it was like budduh. I swear I could hardly feel them. The patch job goes on for like half a mile and I paid very close attention to the feel of the road and it was incredibly smooth feeling compare to the OEM springs. AWESOME!! Thanks Chris and BrickHard!!!

It dropped from 26.5" (measured from ground to fender) to a little under 25". 1.5" drop like they claimed. Looks real gooooood!

BTW - I went to sears and got one of these Craftsman 17 x 19mm Wrench, Deep Offset Box End for the top strut bolt. It works like a champ!

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes
Old 06-05-2007, 11:24 PM   #136
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsmitchell View Post
Holy Shit! These Megan springs are excellent. I just got finished installing them tonight (pics tromorrow) and I went to fix a friends computer. Coming home I went down a road that has been torn to crap, like a 2 foot wide ditch was dug in the middle and patched really crappy. With my regular OEM springs I could only take a few seconds of my right tires riding over that crappy patch job, but with these new ones, it was like budduh. I swear I could hardly feel them. The patch job goes on for like half a mile and I paid very close attention to the feel of the road and it was incredibly smooth feeling compare to the OEM springs. AWESOME!! Thanks Chris and BrickHard!!!

It dropped from 26.5" (measured from ground to fender) to a little under 25". 1.5" drop like they claimed. Looks real gooooood!

BTW - I went to sears and got one of these Craftsman 17 x 19mm Wrench, Deep Offset Box End for the top strut bolt. It works like a champ!

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes
Glad you are happy with the feel. I definately prefer a stiffer, shorter travel feel over that OEM stuff. Measure in a few weeks after they settle. Have you measured from the bottom of the hub center to the fender also? Not sure what tires you are on I'll check your garage. Churp says he didn't get quite the drop that Megan advertised but he seems very please with them also. Bet you like the look better without that huge gap.

anyway your measurements add up, cool
Old 06-06-2007, 12:23 AM   #137
nsmitchell

These springs don't feel that stiff. I have not had them on the highway yet though. Going to work tomorrow on the crappy Cary St. in Richmond should reveal a lot about these. I am also getting an alignment ASAP! Like tomorrow if possible. I'm just amazed at how they soaked up that bumpy crappy road. I'm still in disbelief. I looked at the patches, and it was night time, but I don't think a crew has smoothed them out yet. I think the springs did! I recommend these to anyone who wants a smooth ride that looks cool too. Not necessarily Megan but anything besides OEM!
Old 06-06-2007, 12:53 AM   #138
churp
Clean and (dis)Functional

Drives: Yaris 2dr--Black Betty
Glad to here somone else finally put them on! I think they're great but have nothing to compare to besides stock....I think they're quite a bit stiffer than stock but softer than an RX7 I have, and have never bottomed out.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:37 AM   #139
nsmitchell

Hmm.., mine feel supple. Takes bumps better, a lot better! Very Nice! High Five!
Old 06-06-2007, 11:25 AM   #140
redyaris
Shiny Chromey Coolness

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Liftback
Where would one locate a 'spring compressor'? Im thinking of doing this mod. You've finally talked me into it. Can I rent one from AutoZone as a loaner tool?

And no, i'm not buying one as I will never use the freaking thing again!
Old 06-06-2007, 02:21 PM   #141
nsmitchell

Quote:
Originally Posted by redyaris View Post
Where would one locate a 'spring compressor'? Im thinking of doing this mod. You've finally talked me into it. Can I rent one from AutoZone as a loaner tool?

And no, i'm not buying one as I will never use the freaking thing again!
Autozone will "loan" it to you by selling it to you and then refunding your ca$h when you return it. My spring compressors were brand new. I'm returning mine today. Also see of they have a deep offset 17mm wrench to "loan" to you. REALLY helps with getting the top nut off the strut. (hey, that rhymes!)

BTW - The only drawback to lowering I've seen is some rubbing on the inside of the wheel wells when hitting big bumps. But then again, what did I expect??
Old 06-06-2007, 03:51 PM   #142
nsmitchell

I wonder if my bumpstops may be farting. Apparently you are supposed to line up the grooves to the holes... I may remove my struts and glue my bumpstops back together with Gorilla glue. Then make sure I line up the bumpstops correctly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg suspension (Large).jpg (86.1 KB, 542 views)
Old 07-15-2007, 12:46 PM   #143
WRBlue

Drives: Yaris 3 Door, 04 WRX, 69 Lotus
Quote:
Originally Posted by "G" View Post
Nice write up, 2 things real quick. That's the incorrect way to measure ride height. Also are you sure that is a 9/16" & not metric ? Or you just not have the correct metric size ?
Theres nothing SAE on the car.

The correct sizes are 14mm, 17mm, and 19mm.

The Strut to spindle bolts and nuts are 19mm
The end links are 17mm
The brake bracket are 14mm
The top nuts are both 17mm
The cowl is held down with 10mm's

Figured I'd add that today so someone can edit the first post to make it right.

Using the SAE sizes WILL lead to rounded over bolts, especially once the car gets some age and rust...
Old 07-15-2007, 03:00 PM   #144
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

I will update the original post later.
Closed Thread