Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-09-2013, 11:44 PM   #19
Howster

Drives: 2007 Yaris 4-door
I haven't actually looked for the EGR valve yet, so not sure there is one. The A/C works fine and now after doing a procedure that CTScott had me do, it now idles with the A/C on. I could flush out the fuel lines but the car does run fine past the 1000 rpm range for the most part.

I am ordering a scanner which will do much more than just a reader. I am hoping that will save me in the long run.

Cheers,
Howster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:59 PM   #20
AbsolutelyRed

Drives: 2008 HB
There is a fuel filter, this is from another thread:

Quote:
CT Scott is not entirely correct. The Part on the bottom of the Fuel pump/filter assembly is just the screen to keep big pieces out of the pump. The actual filter is above the screen and is the part that the pump is housed in. Here is the procedure for replacing this. I didn't change the screen, just the filter itself.
Change fuel filter 2007 Toyota Yaris
Posted 11-05-2012 at 02:02 PM by Microbuzz
There seems to be some confusion as to whether or not the fuel filter in a Yaris can be changed. I will clear this up right now. You CAN change your fuel filter and you CAN purchase just a fuel filter without the pump at a very reasonable price on line if you search a little. I live in Canada but purchased the filter from a U.S. supplier which only took about a week or so to arrive. The fuel filter is located INSIDE the gas tank and it is a little tricky to change it but it can be done in about 2 hours or so if you have any mechanical ability at all and the necessary tools. I will give a list of everything you need as well as step by step instructions. This procedure was for a 2007 Yaris purchased in Canada but it could be the same or close for most Yaris, Echo, possibly many Toyota models.

Tools/supplies required:
Pry bar (best) or large flat screwdiver. Air compresser with a high pressure air nozzle. A can of spray lubricant such as WD40. A tube of silicone seal. A universal fuel pump retainer ring removal tool (hard to find in parts stores in Canada but can be purchased on line). A 1/2 inch drive "J" bar or long torque wrench. A container such a large stainless steel mixing bowl. A CLEAN surface to work on in an open area (you will have gasoline spilling out of the old filter so don't do this in an enclosed area without ventilation). A couple of flat screwdrivers of various lengths and sizes, long needle nose pliers etc. A razor knife. A kettle (yes a kettle for boiling water but DON'T boil the water near your work station to avoid making a spark causing a fire) and an old cup to put the boiling water into.

Instructions:
First you need to access the cover over the fuel pump which is under the back seat cusion. In my vehicle I didn't need to remove the entire seat, just the cusion. First disconnect the shoulder belt from the lower buckle and set it out of the way. The back rests stay in place. To remove the cushion you can wedge the pry bar between the frame and the front of the seat and pry up. There is a U shaped part on the front/bottom of the seat cushion that clips into a nylon clip about 12 inches in on either side of the seat that will pop out when you pry on it. You can actually fold the edge of the seat up to see what you are doing. Once you have both clips disconnected lift the front of the seat up and it will disconnect from the hook at the back of the seat. Once you have removed the seat cushion, you will see the access cover for the fuel pump. Clean the area with compressed air then carefully pry up on it a bit at a time so you don't damage it. It is held down by a similar substance as a widshield and is very sticky. Try not to get dirt on it if you can. There is a covering over the electrical and a grommet going through the cover for the wiring. Remove the covering and grommet from the cover. Remove the cover then unclip the electrical connection and remove the cover from the vehicle. Set the wiring off to one side. The top of the fuel pump housing will likely be quite dirty (some little animal was nice enough to leave me sunflower seed shells) so blow it off as well as possible so dirt and debris doesn't fall into the tank. Now you will want to depressurize the fuel line so try to start the engine. It will sputter a few times then die. Once you have done this you can remove the fuel lines by disconnecting the clips and just pulling the fuel lines off. Careful not to lose the clips. Use a clean cloth to catch any drips and wrap the ends of the lines and wedge them up under the seat to keep them out of the way. You are now ready to remove the fuel pump assembly. Take the WD40 spray and squirt some around the top edge of the retainer ring. You may want to wait a while before attempting to undo the ring. Get your ring removal tool and adjust it so it fits snugly over the ribs on the retaining ring. DO NOT attempt to remove the ring without the tool, it won't happen. You may want to enlist the help of someone when you start to undo the ring. It may be very tight and hard to keep the tool from slipping off the ribs. Put your J bar or Torque wrench into the square in the removal tool, have your helper push down on the tool so it doesn't slip off the ribs and reef on the j bar. The ring should start to turn. Undo the ring until it comes off and place it to one side. Before you remove the pump assembly get your mixing bowl ready in the vehicle as gasoline will spill from the housing. Remove the entire assemly from the tank, being careful not to damage the float/fuel level sender unit attached to the housing. The hole is just big enough for the housing to come out. place the assembly in the bowl and remove it from the vehicle. Drain as much gas from the unit as posssible. More will come out as you work on it so you may want to work on a clean piece of cardboard to soak up what comes out. Make sure you are in a well venilated or open area. You can now start disassembling the pump assembly. It is all clipped together with nylon clips and very easy to disassemble. Be careful not to damage the fuel level float and sender while you work on the pump. Begin by disconnecting the elecrical connection from the bottom of the electical plug (don't attempt to remove the wire from the pump just yet) and remove the fuel line coming from the filter off the nipple on the housing. This fuel line is impossible to remove by pulling on it so take your razor knife and cut it lengthwise until it is cut through being careful not to cut the nipple itself. Be very gentle and make many light cuts until it's through and pull the line off. Undo the clip that holds the pump/filter assembly into the housing and remove the assembly from the housing. you will see a screen at the bottom of the pump that is part of the retainer that holds the pump into the middle of the filter. Gently pry the clips apart with a flat screwdriver to release the retainer and remove it from the bottom of the filter. You can now remove the pump from the centre of the filter. You may need to push gently on the electrical connecter to get the pump out of the filter. Once the pump is out unclip the electrical wire and remove it from the filter. Remove the check valve from the bottom of the filter being careful not to lose any "O" rings or spacers. There is also a small screen in the check valve. Make note of the position of all the O rings and spacers in case they come apart. check that there are no O rings or components remaining on the filter and discard it. Now you should clean all the parts. Use compressed air to blow out the pump, the screen (blow this out very well), the check valve and the entire housing. Make sure you blow out any and all the ports you can see. Check to make sure there is nothing obstructing the little flapper/one way valve at the bottom of the housing that allows gas into the housing (I had some hair and debris caught in mine). You may need a long thin screwdriver or some long thin needle nose pliers to get at it if theres something stuck there but try air first. Clean the rest of the housing as well as you can. You may need to scrape dirt away in a few places in the housing if you got some very dirty fuel. There is a little black tube (air bleeder I think) that you can unclip from the housing but DO NOT disconnect it from any of the nipples or you will damage it. Once you have everything clean you can start reassembly. Spray a little WD 40 on all the O rings and nipples as well as into the pump itself. Press the check valve into the the fuel filter, feed the electrical wire through the hole in the top of the filter, attach it to the pump and slide the pump into the filter making sure it seats on the nipple in the middle of the filter. Clip the retainer onto the bottom of the filter making sure everything fits together properly and all the clips are latched. Attach the other clip to the top of the filter and clip the pump/filter assembly into the housing. Check to make sure everything looks in place and there are no parts left over. Now, get your water boiling and have a cup of tea (HAHA, just kidding). You will notice the line coming from the filter is a hard plastic. This is very difficult to get onto the nipple so get your boiling hot water ready in a cup and dip the end of the line in it for 15 seconds or so to soften it up. then immediately press it onto the nipple as far up as you can. MAKE SURE it is running from the filter to the nipple the correct way because you won't get it off again. Connect your elecrical wire to the bottom of the plug and assembly is complete! Take the assembly and feed it back into the tank. You may want to enlist your helper again when reinstalling the unit. The housing is spring loaded so it's nice to have a second pair of hands to hold the assembly down while you tighten the retainer ring. You can also spray a little WD40 on the threads to make it easier to turn the retainer ring. Be careful to have the pump unit lined up properly and the O ring centred to avoid leakage. There is a little tab that holds the unit in place. Also be sure not to cross thread the retainer ring. If you cross thread it and damage the threads you may never get it on properly and it will leak. Use the tool to make sure it is tight, attach the fuel lines (make sure everything is clean) feed the electrical connector through the cover and attache to the assembly. Now you can test it before installing the cover. Turn on the key, wait a few seconds then crank the engine. It may take several attempts before it starts and it will likely sputter and/or stall some before it starts running. If it doesn't start you likely did something wrong or you need a pump, not just the filter but if it was running when you took it apart it should run again. If the filter was very dirty you will notice a substantial increase in performance. You can now replace the cover using silicone, replace the back seat cushion and you're done!
AbsolutelyRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:00 PM   #21
Howster

Hi Absolutely Red,

Thanks for the input, however I have had the pump assembly out a couple of times during all of this. I have replaced the sending unit and checked everything over. I do however want to order the fuel filter, but there seems to be quite a few on-line shops selling it.

I found the part at Rock Auto for $22.99. I hope it is the correct part. I am also still having the P171 codes, so haven't been able to clear them yet. The car is driving better, but still has hesitation when first pressing throttle pedal. It does run fine with the A/C on now so that is a big help.

Since the P171 code is a lean code, I am hoping the fuel filter will take care of that. But still also having some issues on engine start up where the starter keeps turning when I let go of the key. This doesn't seem to be a problem when the car starts normally.

So with that code there is still a chance of a fuel supply issue or a vacuum leak. Does anyone have a diagram of where all of the vacuum lines are located? Is there a vacuum tree where it all comes together? From topside I see nothing.

Everyone has been great with all of the information, and now I am hoping I am finally almost finished so this baby can be put back on the road as a daily driver. Thanks again.

Cheers,

Howster
Old 06-12-2013, 04:20 PM   #22
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
It's normal for the starter motor to do that. It's a little odd at first, but that's part of the Yaris' charm��

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:21 PM   #23
Howster

I was wondering if anyone has the specifications for fuel trims and O2 info for a 2007 Yaris? I am still having issues and purchased a Innova 3130C scanner. I just don't have a baseline for anything so don't have a starting point.

Now the only problem I am having is mainly hesitation on acceleration from a stop, but also sometimes at speed. Transmission seems to stumble when trying to go into passing gear.

It seemed to run better for a while when I put a new MAF sensor in it, and the hesitation was pretty much gone. However that lasted not very long. I now have the original back in. I have replaced the fuel filter, along with parts mentioned in earlier posts. Only thing I can think of now is vacuum lines and fuel pressure, although I don't know what the pressure should be. If anyone has an idea that would be sweet.

So many have helped with this and I am still dealing with this since I am not able to work on it except for the weekends. I would appreciate any info anyone can help with.

Thanks again,

Howster
Old 06-26-2013, 03:50 PM   #24
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howster View Post
I was wondering if anyone has the specifications for fuel trims and O2 info for a 2007 Yaris? I am still having issues and purchased a Innova 3130C scanner. I just don't have a baseline for anything so don't have a starting point.

Now the only problem I am having is mainly hesitation on acceleration from a stop, but also sometimes at speed. Transmission seems to stumble when trying to go into passing gear.

It seemed to run better for a while when I put a new MAF sensor in it, and the hesitation was pretty much gone. However that lasted not very long. I now have the original back in. I have replaced the fuel filter, along with parts mentioned in earlier posts. Only thing I can think of now is vacuum lines and fuel pressure, although I don't know what the pressure should be. If anyone has an idea that would be sweet.

So many have helped with this and I am still dealing with this since I am not able to work on it except for the weekends. I would appreciate any info anyone can help with.

Thanks again,

Howster

Fuel pressure should be about 41 psi.

For a completely stock Yaris the fuel trims should stay pretty close to zero. On my red 08, they stay within the +/- 2 range.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:44 PM   #25
Howster

Thanks for that CTScott. Do you happen to have any of the other baseline parameters I need to check things like STFT and LTFT? I am still trying to diagnose if I might have a faulty O2 sensor, but I don't know the parameters for any of this. I guess I can purchase a manual, however once I have this repaired we were going to sell it anyway.

I can't in good conscience sell a car or anything for that matter that is suspect. Never have and I won't start now. The 3130C is a very nice scanner, but if I don't have any parameters, as far as I am concerned it is just a glorified code reader, and I already have one of those.

I appreciate as always any assistance and am hoping to sort this out ASAP. BTW, is there a vacuum tree someone where all of the vacuum lines meet for all the various systems? I know my Fords always had that.

Here is what has been replaced on the Yaris to date.

BATTERY
Fuel Sending Unit
Fuel Filter and lower retainer ( I broke the retainer by accident).
Oil
Spark Plugs
O-rings and caps on all injectors.
PCV valve. and hose

I did purchase a new MAF sensor, but after a couple of days it didn't seem to correct any of the problems I was having. I reinstalled the original one. Also, I did as suggested and disconnected the battery terminals and touched them together for 10-20 seconds to reset the ECM. Once I did that, and I have done that twice since this all began, the car eventually was running pretty darn well. But I was still getting the P0171 codes and they are still coming back. This even when the new MAF was installed.

Sometimes I don't get the code for a full day of driving and sometimes it shows up in an hour. The car does not get driven regularly because we have other vehicles until this gets resolved. I will go ahead and check the vacuum lines more closely and replace anything that looks suspect.

I did read where the EVAP system can cause this problem, however I am not familiar with that system at all. What can anyone tell me as far as checking that out? Thanks again to all.

I anxiously await any information and once the car is up and running normally I promise I will drink a beer for each person that has assisted. So far I will be one drunk bastard.

Cheers to all.

Howster
Old 06-26-2013, 09:07 PM   #26
Howster

I just took the 3130C out to the car again and noticed the STFT is within tolerance, which is well under 10. However the LTFT is at 36 and goes up to around 43 at times when I push the throttle. This is from what I have found out to be a for-sure problem. Any hints on what to check now? Maybe it is as simple as a vacuum leak and I just need to replace all of the lines. Couldn't hurt I guess. What say all?

Cheers,

Howster
Old 06-26-2013, 09:08 PM   #27
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Here's a cap of a normal run. You can actually grab the service manual via the Micro Image forum: http://www.microimageonline.com/foru...32-YARIS-FILES

Data Cap.jpg
Old 06-26-2013, 09:15 PM   #28
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
I just took the 3130C out to the car again and noticed the STFT is within tolerance, which is well under 10. However the LTFT is at 36 and goes up to around 43 at times when I push the throttle. This is from what I have found out to be a for-sure problem. Any hints on what to check now? Maybe it is as simple as a vacuum leak and I just need to replace all of the lines. Couldn't hurt I guess. What say all?

Cheers,

Howster
Have you checked for exhaust leaks at the manifold or where it meets the mid-pipe?
Old 06-26-2013, 09:17 PM   #29
Howster

Hi. No I haven't yet but I will check that this weekend. Thanks for the table as well. Would you look at vacuum leaks first or look at the exhaust manifold?

Cheers,

Howster
Old 06-26-2013, 09:19 PM   #30
Howster

So CTScott,

What does that LTFT look like to you as opposed to the STFT? What other items on the chart you sent to me would I need to look at as priorities? This scanner is still new to me so still learning.

Cheers,

Howster
Old 06-26-2013, 09:32 PM   #31
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
So CTScott,

What does that LTFT look like to you as opposed to the STFT? What other items on the chart you sent to me would I need to look at as priorities? This scanner is still new to me so still learning.

Cheers,

Howster
Over +/-35 will trigger a DTC, so yours is definitely just over that range.

I would also watch the 02 sensor lambda and the injection volume.

The Yaris has very little as far as vacuum hoses go, so I would take a peek at them before the exhaust.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:33 PM   #32
Howster

Will be checking for leaks this weekend. I am so over this as I have done all I have been taught and trained to do over the past 35 years. I guess I don't know as much as I thought about these cars. I repaired all of the obvious stuff, but just wasn't sure where all of the vacuum hoses were. I will take a look and see what happens. I will get some leak check and cross my fingers.

Thanks again CTScott
Old 07-06-2013, 12:56 AM   #33
Howster

Hey CTScott,

One more thing I forgot to mention. The car is also very hard to start. If I use starting fluid, it will usually fire right up, however if it sits for a little while, I have to spray inside the filter box again to start it. Is this a problem also caused by a vacuum leak? I am kind of going around in circles now. I will be checking for leaks with leak detector fluid, but after that I am lost.

Thanks,
Old 07-06-2013, 05:00 PM   #34
Howster

Hey CTScott,

Some things happened I had not tried before so updating you to see what I can do next. First, I did notate all of the fields that my scanner can see, and I will list them when I get home. I checked for leaks by spraying throttle body cleaner at the intake and exhaust where I could, as well as any vacuum lines I could find. I didn't find anything.

I decided to give it WOT with the scanner connected and what happens is well, pretty much nothing. Well nothing in a good way. The engine really kind of bogs down and if I keep it down it will start to sputter and pop, like it is backfiring. I don't let it get loud, but I did notice the scanner is all over the place. Initial acceleration is hesitant, and then if I keep it down it bogs and sputters and misses. If I get it gradual throttle then it revs pretty much ok.

There is also the problem of the car not wanting to start. I end up spraying starting fluid in the intake and it starts right up. Once warm it seems to start ok. This to me points to a fuel pump as maybe it just isn't putting enough pressure to start it up initially. I don't know how to check the fuel pressure because there isn't a place to check it with a gauge. My scanner doesn't read fuel pressure I don't think..

My next step I guess is to take it to the Toyota dealership and have them check out the damn thing. I think I have exhusted all options unless I chage an O2 sensor or something like that. My scanner says they are good, but what does it know? Any tips from what I have told you here would be great. Thanks again.

Howster