Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-06-2015, 12:40 PM   #1
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Thumbs up '15 Yaris test drive by MPG-O-MATIC

It's a 5 speed manual . Go to https://youtu.be/vRmTZSfGdG4 . There are many more topics and reviews at the site .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 05:30 PM   #2
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
I'm really nervous (and excited) about finally getting a chance to drive a manual Yaris, when my 2015 SE finally arrives in a few more days. I hear that the 2015 has an improved clutch design/feel, so I'm hoping for the best. I know what to expect from Honda, after 35 years of driving their manuals, but Toyota manuals are 100% new territory for me.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 03:53 AM   #3
BLKHILLSGUY

Drives: 2011 3dr LB Polar White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
I'm really nervous (and excited) about finally getting a chance to drive a manual Yaris, when my 2015 SE finally arrives in a few more days. I hear that the 2015 has an improved clutch design/feel, so I'm hoping for the best. I know what to expect from Honda, after 35 years of driving their manuals, but Toyota manuals are 100% new territory for me.
Have you ever test driven a Yaris or owned one? I'm assuming you would have test driven before purchasing correct?
BLKHILLSGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 03:54 AM   #4
BLKHILLSGUY

Drives: 2011 3dr LB Polar White
Quote:
And I hope to see some pics!! Congrats in advance!!
BLKHILLSGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 01:24 PM   #5
Kalispel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKHILLSGUY View Post
Have you ever test driven a Yaris or owned one? I'm assuming you would have test driven before purchasing correct?
I test drove an automatic 2015 Yaris SE a few times , but have never had a chance to try a manual Yaris yet, since AZ dealers won't stock/order them at all. The auto wasn't really too bad, despite the endless reviews that enjoy crucifying it - I'm just not an automatic sort of person, and won't be until I am too old to drive a manual.

This will be my first Toyota purchase - all my other cars over the last 35 years have been various Honda/Acura manuals (Accord LX Hatch, CRX Si, Prelude Si, Integra SE, Civic Si Hatch, Civic EX Sedan, Accord EX Sedan). Somewhere along the way I lost faith in Honda quality, even though I managed to dodge all the numerous reoccuring problem spots they have had with transmissions, brakes, and even cracked engine blocks in the case of the 2006-2008 non-Si Civics. Plus, I have really grown to hate Honda styling when it comes to their subcompacts/compacts (Fit, Civic, CRZ).

I will be taking some pics of the girl right off the truck in virgin form, and after I add the window tint, exhaust tip, etc. etc. It will be a fun project/journey for me, since this car reminds me so much of all the fun I had driving my little CRX Si and Civic Si Hatch back in the day.

Last edited by Kalispel; 08-07-2015 at 01:43 PM.
Old 08-07-2015, 01:41 PM   #6
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
The new clutch could be from MAZDA . Few years ago I test drove a new MAZDA 2 and that's the most easy clutch I've ever encountered . The shifting was very precise and smooth as well . May be a shared tranny with merger of the Scion Ia .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 06:19 PM   #7
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
I hear that the 2015 has an improved clutch design/feel, so I'm hoping for the best.
Please post your impressions re how the clutch feels at some later date .
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 06:46 PM   #8
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
It's a 5 speed manual . Go to https://youtu.be/vRmTZSfGdG4 . There are many more topics and reviews at the site .
Nice that he's pronouncing the name of the car correctly . I remember on a previous Yaris review he used the pronunciation YARE-iss.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 03:11 PM   #9
Kalispel

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
Please post your impressions re how the clutch feels at some later date .
You can count on it. I will be posting my impressions about my 2015 manual SE over the coming weeks and months, as well as some pics here and there as I tweak it a bit. It's finally due to arrive this coming week via truck from Colorado Springs, CO, since I wanted the dealership to hold it until all financing through Toyota Financial Services was fully processed and set-up (which it now is, and my first online payment is due 8/31).

I'm under the impression that different people have different views on "clutch feel" and such. One auto reviewer stated (in a negative fashion) that the 2015 Yaris manual is like going back to the 90's - which would be a good thing by my reckoning, if true.

On a side note, I noticed in the video from original post here that the Yaris SE manual seems to rev about 400rpm higher than my just-sold 2000 Accord manual at the same 65-70mph speed.

Last edited by Kalispel; 08-08-2015 at 03:24 PM.
Old 08-08-2015, 05:25 PM   #10
3rdSEman

Drives: Black 2012 SE manual
I am also curious as to changes made. I feel the existing combination of Yaris clutch + drive by wire throttle is sort of a miss for Toyota.

For two years, I kept finding a girlfriend of mine shifted hers in an unskilled manner : \ until I got one myself and realized this thing was engineered funny : (

I pretty much 100% city-drive and like you am not an automatic sort of person. Assuming nothing is changed, you'll simply get to live with it as you seem to otherwise appreciate the specs/format of this car... hey nothing is perfect these days.

Over the past month while you hesitated over auto vs. manual... I kept thinking of my own experience once: returning an automatic 2001 Saturn SC2 for an identical car except manual under a GM 30-days "no question asked" return plan. I simply could not stand the behavior of the car.
3rdSEman is offline   Reply With Quote