Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-30-2011, 03:57 PM   #1
Vioz

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Vioz
Water Pump gave up on me finally

I read it tons of posts about everyones water pumps going on them and felt like it was going to happen to me any day. Well it did, was driving and I hit a red light and notice my check engine went on, over heating engine light went on, and all these lights as well. Figured car was over heating was able to make it to my girlfriends house and I open up the hood and hear liquid boiling and notice a little bit a smoke from the antifreeze all over the engine bay.

I was able to wiggle the water pump pulley back and forth :( with one finger. So I'm replacing the water pump fully. I have to say I had the NST lightweight pulley on there for the longest time till I had to replace it and I had no problems with that. Right when I put the OEM pulley back on couple thousand miles later it gave up. I might just go back to lightweight deffinatley!

Vioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:45 AM   #2
thepartsmancometh

Drives: '08 LB, '07 WRX
shaft play is the normal culprit; the bearings go bad a lot. did you check the belt tension when doing the pulley swap? These pumps definitely have an issue, but if the belt is too tight, it exacerbates matters.

Our 08 LB has 55k on it (turns 3 years old today!) and is still leak free *knock on wood*
thepartsmancometh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:28 PM   #3
Vioz

Belt wasn't tight at all. And I always check the belt monthly to make sure its fine with the light weight pulleys. Anyway I went and bought a water pump from advanced auto parts, screw the toyota brand, I'm reading on here that all toyota's pumps on majority of their cars is the first to break, and I saw that their antifreeze pink liquid could also be a factor.

Tomorrow I'm gonna switch it out with a friend of mine, save me a $300 labor charge at the mechanic. Looks pretty simple with the DIY i saw on here :D

Old 07-31-2011, 04:22 PM   #4
thepartsmancometh

Drives: '08 LB, '07 WRX
we definitely see a lot of W.P. issues here (I work at a Toyota dealership), but not as many with the Yaris as with other vehicles. the majority of Toyota's W.P. are made by Aisin, so if you buy aftermarket make sure its not made by them or you'll be getting the same pump with the same issues.
thepartsmancometh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:08 PM   #5
Vioz

I got one made by GMB i think it was called. Has warranty for 12,000 miles i think on it.