Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-28-2015, 10:01 PM   #19
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-SE View Post
I'm in that 5% too. Facebook, twitter, etc. just has no appeal to me. I do have a smartphone but that's only because my 10 year old flip phone finally bit the dust last year.
Add one Canadian to this population. Had to graduate to a smartphone simply because I could not keep up texting with my daughter with the old flip phone numeric key pad. At least now I can enjoy the forum via tapatalk when on-the-go.

My 16 year old has bailed on facebook. Finds twitter too 'noisy'. Instagram she likes and relies on it for her social media needs.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:08 PM   #20
Ben_

Drives: 2010 Yaris Hatch
Apparently everyone on the yaris forums is part of the 1% haha

I guess the thing we share is adversity. Sharing a love for a car that most people find boring/obtuse
Ben_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 05:57 AM   #21
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-SE View Post
I'm in that 5% too. Facebook, twitter, etc. just has no appeal to me. I do have a smartphone but that's only because my 10 year old flip phone finally bit the dust last year.
I would imagine that 5% figure is wrong. I have friend who is the CEO of an insurance company and he doesnt even have email!
Old 05-29-2015, 11:57 AM   #22
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikerice View Post
I agree with Ben. As an Solo Chairman of my region. Facebook is probably the best way to get free advertising for events. We have increased our attendance in the past 5 years from average of 30 drivers, to now an average of 70 drivers. Because of this, we have been able to update all our timing equipment and upgrade our trailer. I started a Facebook page 4 years ago and its been nothing but beneficial to our club. Forums just doesn't have the sharing capability like social media does. I have noticed the only ones who don't have a form of social media is the older folks, but even that is just a few who just don't want to bother with it.
Yup. Facebook has become a necessary evil. You will find much more diversity on FB as well plus people can't hide which many folks find appealing since it can cut down on trolls to a point. Plus there is messenger which beats the hell out of clunky forum pms especially since you aren't limited for storage space which drives me bonkers.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 03:06 PM   #23
Kar98

Drives: 2011 Scion tC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine View Post
What do you consider "old"?
State of mind. There's people born 25 years later than me and and I'm younger than them ;)
Kar98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 05:34 PM   #24
47_MasoN_47
What I thought I'd do was

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan
I think FB has definitely had a big part in stealing membership away from not just automotive forums, but all forums in general. Most of the non-automotive forums I'm on don't have many members younger than their 30s. I haven't had a Facebook since around 2007 and have no desire for any social media BS. Forums FTW!

My Nissan Hardbody (D21) 4x4 build log
Check out my YouTube channel (mostly shooting) - http://www.youtube.com/user/47MasoN47
47_MasoN_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 06:25 PM   #25
Farcry

Drives: Echo 1.5l silver sedan
I don't use Facebook which I know keeps me out of the loop some times.
I think there is a difference between a club, and an information hub.
When it comes to social things where people get together frequently Facebook works much better, but forums hold years of info that you can search!!
So I think for cars it's not in any danger.

But I don't post much, Il make more of an effort maybe.
Farcry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 08:58 AM   #26
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
Yea, I agree farcry. Forums are a great source of information and well organized in category of interests of specific things. Social media is great for meet and greets.
They each serve a purpose.