Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-12-2007, 08:15 AM   #55
grampi

Drives: Corolla
brick

Why are you so sarcastic to everyone? Is it just your nature?
grampi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 09:13 AM   #56
kurokoma-kun

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampi View Post
brick

Why are you so sarcastic to everyone? Is it just your nature?
"What I claim is to live to the full the contradiction of my time, which may well make sarcasm the condition of truth."
--Roland Barthes

Old 06-14-2007, 11:51 AM   #57
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
I ran Morris Minors for 30 years or so, and (unlike others) I found them fun to drive, even in hohum commuter traffic. I never had to replace the clutch in any of them, unlike nearly every TR7 I ever ran across!

We bought the Yaris for the same reasons as the Minor: cheap to buy, cheap to run, cheap to fix, and reliable. The only thing I don't see on the Yaris that I had on the Minor is a crank hole in the bumper... Hopefully, I will never need it, either.

Right now we have an old Volvo auto wagon, and it does much of what we want, but (like me) it is getting old. As far as automatics go, this one (Borg Warner?) does the job better than any other I have driven. These days, everything is computer-operated, but I am not ready to have a chip tell me when to shift, thanks very much!
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 01:41 PM   #58
mikeukrainetz

Drives: 2006 Toyota Yaris
Ive probably owned more manuals than autos - always prefered manuals and always will - (replaced way too many neglected autos for a pretty penny).

Admitedly this is the oddest manual Ive driven, the hardest to get used and the weakest. I much prefer the manual in the Yaris since I drove both but have had way too much experience in old tiny HB with autos trying desperately to get going or keep up with traffic in their later days.

Some of the older autos didnt have overdrive so you would max them out at like 100km/h and it would sound like your running in neutral with your foot to the floor... but anway.

Even with its quirks I prefer the manual.

That being said most of my driving is inner city, lots of stop and go and sometimes the manual is just a plain PITA.
mikeukrainetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 09:06 AM   #59
tekmoe
ex-yaris owner

Drives: 08 solstice gxp, 06 triumph s3
Send a message via AIM to tekmoe
all 3 cars i have owned (86 vw gti, 02 toyota corolla, 07 toyota yaris) have all been manual transmission.

i don't know how to drive an automatic.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:24 PM   #60
clayky

Drives: '07 Yaris S Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekmoe View Post
all 3 cars i have owned (86 vw gti, 02 toyota corolla, 07 toyota yaris) have all been manual transmission.

i don't know how to drive an automatic.
Me either! Unless the car has at least 250hp, I'd never consider an auto and probably not even then.
clayky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 12:27 AM   #61
15thJuneYarisNamedHaris

Drives: Yaris YR 5 door Caribbean Blue
I have been driving an auto (79 Volvo station wagon ) since I got my license 7 years ago. I did LEARN to drive in a manual. I ordered a manual yaris but I am a bit worried my driving will be ridiculous for the first few weeks!! Not to mention the very first day when I pick it up and have to drive it 60km from the central city to the countryside!!

(wish me luck!! )
15thJuneYarisNamedHaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 01:04 AM   #62
thomasward00

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
I hate to sound negative, I love my yaris but it is not a performance car, nor will it ever be, putting engine mods on this car is a waste of money, thats why I chose an auto. For performance cars then I love manuals.
thomasward00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 01:23 AM   #63
Vanderkitten

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasward00 View Post
I hate to sound negative, I love my yaris but it is not a performance car, nor will it ever be, putting engine mods on this car is a waste of money, thats why I chose an auto. For performance cars then I love manuals.
After a day at the track, I must disagree. With the right mods, the Yaris is a very capable performance car. It will not win any drag races, but you can carry econo-defying corner speed! The SCCA coaches moved me and the Jelly Bean to the Advanced group at the HPDE last week, and that, my friend, is not a lie.

With $2200 into the car, it can corner extremely well. I think that put me at $14,900 (wheels/tires, Megan coil-overs, Weapon-R intake) invested and, well, it out-cornered <insert exotic car here> most of the cars in the B-Group. (There were some I never saw). Read my post about the SCCA school.

So, therefore, I say manual.
Megan Racing http://www.meganracing.com
Les Schwab Tires http://www.lesschwab.com
317 graphics http://www.317graphics.com
Vanderkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 01:32 AM   #64
churp
Clean and (dis)Functional

Drives: Yaris 2dr--Black Betty
To the original post.....you mention the person interested in the car was having a few problems shifting but still wanted high milage....I recomend the automatic for 2 reasons.

1) The gated shifter works so well that it would be nearly impossible to accidently go from drive into another gear....you can only go from drive to neutral or third without intentionaly trying to get it into another gear, plus with any automatic you put it in drive and go, right? (not very hard).

2) After breaking in, I am now getting 40 to 42 mpg consistantly (most of my driving is open highway which I drive 55-60mph, 55 limit), and driving a manual, without good shifting ability, I doubt he would do that well.

Good luck on your purchase. (I'm 56 in case that matters)

Last edited by churp; 06-17-2007 at 01:34 AM. Reason: clarify
churp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 01:36 AM   #65
churp

Addition to above: I feel this auto works very well and power is not an issue (like it was a few years back) unless racing or doing a little hotdogging.

As far as reliability I've seen 2 posts on the manual....bad synchro, and a broken tranny mount....I haven't seen any posts on problems with the automatic yet (someone correct me if I'm wrong).
Old 06-17-2007, 10:55 AM   #66
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
Welll if you are a quick learner and want to feel like your actually driving with the fact your right hand is doing something other than holding your cell phone, soda, etc......then go w/ manual. And if you want to feel some spunk to your car :)

My Yaris is my first manual pretty much....although I've had a 1 on 1 practice of a manual WRX STi....

The only thing is you have to kick the clutch pedal like theres no tomorrow. With the STI, i had to ease off the cluth semi slowly and i would have smooth ride upshifting..BUT w/ the Yaris i have to slowly let off the clutch. But Dont let off the clutch too slowly as it might damage the cluth plates or something..as told by my mechanic~
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 02:47 PM   #67
churp

Quote:
Originally Posted by anik View Post
I'm in a situation where I'm assisting another family member in buying a car - this is the first time they've bought a new car in many years (and I've always bought used) so we're not used to having options to pick from. We visited the local Toyota dealer the other day and were pretty sold on the Yaris liftback but the major reason we didn't place an order then and there was because we couldn't decide between automatic and manual transmission.

The primary driver of the car is 55 years old and most of his previous cars have had manual transmission. He lives approximately 50 miles from the dealership and absolutely hates taking a car in for service of any kind (other than oil changes at the local quick lube place), which is one reason we're looking at a Toyota in the first place. He also wants great gas mileage.

But at the same time, he's getting older, and his reflexes aren't what they used to be. We took both a manual and an automatic for a test drive. To me the automatic seemed a bit sluggish in changing gears (but remember I'm not used to automatics either) and it seemed like there were only three gears in getting up to 55 (maybe I missed a gear change). But, he had no trouble driving it at all. With the manual transmission, he did okay, but his current car is a four-speed manual. Maybe that is why a couple times he accidentally downshifted into 3rd when he was actually trying to go into 5th, and I could see that really bothered him. So I guess the bottom line is, he likes the convenience of not having to shift (though that's not a major issue at this point) but he also worries that an automatic will require more maintenance and/or have significantly lower gas mileage.

He is the type that will take a car in at recommended service intervals (at least in the first year or two) but other than that he sort of treats auto shops as though he might catch the bubonic plague by walking inside one (his biggest problem is that he hates to sit around and wait anywhere - he avoids doctors' visits for the same reason) - which might be fine IF he were mechanically inclined, but he isn't (one reason he's ready to trade in his current car is because he's having to add oil ONCE between 3,000 mile trips to the quick oil change place, and he doesn't like to get under the hood at all). So I'm thinking a Toyota is definitely the best choice for him, but wonder which transmission would be the best option. Believe it or not, that choice is the only reason an order hasn't been placed for the Yaris. He can't make up his mind, and I don't know enough about Toyota transmissions to make an informed suggestion.

As long as I'm posting this, I have two other things to ask. First, is there any significant reason that anyone knows of that we might want to wait for the 2008 models to come out? And second, is there anything we should specifically ask of the dealer - in other words, can the dealers offer any discounts, rebates, additions, etc. that you only get if you know enough to ask for them? We're in Michigan, if that makes any difference.
Hope no one minds me bumping the 1st post here!!
Old 06-20-2007, 08:11 PM   #68
njyaris
YARIS NEWBIE

Drives: YARIS 07 LIFTBACK
Send a message via AIM to njyaris Send a message via Yahoo to njyaris
manual tranny .. is the way to go when driving a 1.5 liter 4 banger! .. how else do you expect to pass cars when needed? .. i won't lie I almost bought the auto
njyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 09:27 PM   #69
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by njyaris View Post
manual tranny .. is the way to go when driving a 1.5 liter 4 banger! .. how else do you expect to pass cars when needed? .. i won't lie I almost bought the auto
I am not a race car driver and I have nothing to prove on the road but this car has no passing problems with the auto tranny, I applaud all of you manual drivers for your multi-tasking abilities however the auto is great, I hang in traffic just fine without the stick
Old 06-21-2007, 08:02 AM   #70
grampi

Drives: Corolla
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasward00 View Post
You couldn't be any more wrong. You want a manual tranny ESPECIALLY in a car like the Yaris. With a car like the Yaris that has so little HP, you want to get as much of that power to the pavement as possible. There is more power lost through the driveline with an automatic, so a manual is the only way to go.
grampi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 09:38 AM   #71
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampi View Post
You couldn't be any more wrong. You want a manual tranny ESPECIALLY in a car like the Yaris. With a car like the Yaris that has so little HP, you want to get as much of that power to the pavement as possible. There is more power lost through the driveline with an automatic, so a manual is the only way to go.
ENTIRELY MISLEADING AND ABSOLUTE BLOODY NONSENSE!

You're living in the dark ages when automatic transmissions "lost power" through the design of the torque converters. That isn't the case today with Toyota's automatic transmissions.

In fact, many of today's automatic transmissions are every bit as quick as manuals, and are often quicker!

Don't be afraid to step on the Yaris' accelerator and you'll match the stick shift through the quarter mile, and you'll the clean the manual if the driver is even slightly off shift.

The only place, you may wish you had a manual is on the circuit when entering and exiting corners. But, even there, you can manually shift the Yaris' automatic tranny with some impressive performance.

There may be something positive to be said for the manual shift re drifting if the Yaris were a rear wheel drive car... but that's a moot point.

Furthermore, the Toyota automatic is every bit as fuel efficient and reliable as the manual, and over the long run will cost less to maintain.

Indeed, most Yaris automatics are getting better gas mileage than manual shifts due to the driving habits, capabilities, or inexperience of manual shift drivers.

Any argument against purchasing the automatic transmission in favour of the manual shift based on superior performance, better gas mileage, or reliabilty is just plain uninformed foolishness!

The only viable reason for purchasing a manual transmission is the simple fact that you like to shift and/or it makes you feel one with the car and more in control on the road. However; these are all purely psychological factors that not all drivers can relate to.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 10:50 PM   #72
lubaloy

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Talking Geezer Gimp with a 5-Speed Mind

At the ripe old age of 45+, I guess I am nearing the end of my driving life as well.

Add the fact that I have Multiple Sclerosis, and I guess it must be my next -- or maybe last -- incarnation typing this.

Even so, I bought a new 5-SPEED 2007 HB just a little over a week ago, and I could not be happier.

It's been a very long time since I went for a drive just because, and I am grateful to TOYOTA for such a wonderful gift.

Even for a geezer gimp like me, a big part of the fun is shifting through the gears.

YMMV.

~~~ lubaloy ~~~
lubaloy is offline   Reply With Quote