Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-24-2009, 11:32 AM   #91
Indianspringsaz

Drives: 07 Bitchin Blue HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilkySmooth View Post
The yaras 1NZ engine can be hard on the oil due to the inverted bucket tappets and the cam chain drive. Luckily the valve spring pressure is really light - IIRC about 40LBS closed - but you can still get galling of the lobe due to high ramp rates and mass acceleration at high rpm. The problem with PAO based synthetc is its not a good lubricant. That includes most amsoil and Mobil 1 (at least the M1 with majority PAO base), DIesters POE and AN synthetics have much a better inherent lubricity and polarity that PAO based syns lack. Source Motul and Fuchs silkolene for the "best" synthetic oils.
First I have heard of this. Would you post some references? I am interested in oils, and always learning something.
05 Scion TC
01 30' Sleekcraft HP500EFI
Your Local Amsoil Dealer
Indianspringsaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 12:23 PM   #92
Henry G.

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
I agree ester synthetics are superior, but I dont think its fair to says PAO synthetics aren't good lubricants. They are. Oil has come a long way in the last 20 or so years.....
Henry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 02:48 PM   #93
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
Haunt BITOG and NORIA forums for more info and trashing than you can stand.
TheSilkySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 02:53 PM   #94
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry G. View Post
I agree ester synthetics are superior, but I dont think its fair to says PAO synthetics aren't good lubricants. They are. Oil has come a long way in the last 20 or so years.....
If you research further and look at unadditised testing of PAO v. group II and POE and diester you will find that lowly group II oil is a better lubricant than PAO by far. PAO is not stable at high temps and will oxidise thicken and varnish. It does not solubilise important additives at all. It doesnt stick to metal being inherently nonpolar. It s probably servicable at extremely low temps with healthy and complex additisation for low stress application. Not a "race" or "sporting" oil by any stretch.
TheSilkySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 03:40 PM   #95
sbergman27

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilkySmooth View Post
If you research further and look at unadditised testing of PAO v. group II and POE and diester you will find that lowly group II oil is a better lubricant than PAO by far. PAO is not stable at high temps and will oxidise thicken and varnish.
Thanks for the info. Would you mind posting a few links to data supporting that?
sbergman27 is offline   Reply With Quote