Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-08-2012, 05:24 PM   #1
Jonty
I've made a post!

Drives: 05 Celica VVTi
04 Yaris over revving when stood, please help

Hi everyone,

Im new here so hello to you all! My friend is having a problem with her 04 Yaris when stopping in traffic or at a set of lights. Basically the problem is when changing down to come to a stand still, the car over revs when stood and it seems the only way to stop it is to turn the engine off. When trying to then re start the engine the car wont start up so after being left for a couple of minutes it will then start up and everything works fine. Please could somebody shed some light on this as my friend only wants to take it to a garage as a last resort,

Many thanks,
Jon
Jonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:42 PM   #2
dinoman

Drives: '07 Yaris LB
I would start by checking the MAF sensor. Be extremely careful with the MAF sensor as they are expensive to replace if you mess with the sensors (they are small diode looking things). If it looks dirty, you can try cleaning it (autozone/pepboy sells spray cleaners) and see if that helps. I believe there was a thread on YW on how to clean the MAF. Any air the MAF doesn't see will mess up your Air:Fuel ratio, so you can also check the air intake for any crack.
dinoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:40 PM   #3
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
maybe his meant to race....:)

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the object. Torque is how far you move that object.."
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:12 PM   #4
Lux

Drives: NCP91
Is the engine diesel? (1ND-TV)
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote