Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-02-2018, 02:40 PM   #19
Runethecursed

Drives: 2009 Yaris S
I have put 310 miles on my last tank, roughly 31 mpg that includes a weekend racing it, sprints up to sunset highway and Julian and then the usual 15 mile round trip from and to work

all on sticky 205s doing a flying 80. Im not sure who gets 40 mpg but .. wow

I feel anything better than 28 for what I do is great and if I can get 34 Id be mystified... that said

Also for reference if anyone cares, I run 36-38 psi up front and 40 in the back for racing/spirited driving
and 36/36 on the highway.
Runethecursed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 10:14 AM   #20
07liftback

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsridewith View Post
Read all the posts here on members trying to solve worn synchros by switching transmission oil types.
I switched to Redline full synthetic a few years back and the car seems to be shifting better than it did from the factory. Been using DCFO and downshifting through my gears to every stop ever since I got the Yaris. I'm currently at 115k miles and haven't experienced any transmission issues yet (knock on wood).

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
I've had a feeling deep in my gut for as long as I've owned this car. I swear that two identical Yaris tested side by side, all things being equal, the f/e numbers would not match.
How far apart do you think the mpg numbers would be? I know that mileage and maintenance is a big factor as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runethecursed View Post
I have put 310 miles on my last tank, roughly 31 mpg that includes a weekend racing it, sprints up to sunset highway and Julian and then the usual 15 mile round trip from and to work

all on sticky 205s doing a flying 80. Im not sure who gets 40 mpg but .. wow

I feel anything better than 28 for what I do is great and if I can get 34 Id be mystified... that said
That's some really impressive numbers being a spirited driver, maybe you don't run into too many stop signs on your route. Might also help if the terrain was more leveled rather than including steep inclines and declines.

Also, I'm running the 15 inch steelies that the Yaris came with. It could be possible that people running after market rims could see better mpg due to weight savings in each rim. It requires less force to turn the wheels which makes a huge difference in city driving and stop and go traffic. On the freeway, I hear it's about the same with heavier wheels having the slight advantage of maintaining speed.
07liftback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 10:26 AM   #21
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07liftback View Post
How far apart do you think the mpg numbers would be? I know that mileage and maintenance is a big factor as well.
I'm talking identical. I mean identical, like straight from the factory virgins. I just have a feeling that there is no consistency from one 1NZFE to the next rolling off the assembly line. I'm probably totally whack, but after 11 years on here, reading all the economy stories, that is my conclusion.
Old 05-03-2018, 02:15 PM   #22
07liftback

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
I'm talking identical. I mean identical, like straight from the factory virgins. I just have a feeling that there is no consistency from one 1NZFE to the next rolling off the assembly line. I'm probably totally whack, but after 11 years on here, reading all the economy stories, that is my conclusion.
Ah, yes that could very well be true. I remember when the Yaris first came out, the guys on the hypermiler forums were reporting 60mpg with their runs and made fun of people trying to get $7000 for a 15 year old Civic VX which does about the same mpg. I guess that's where my rant originally came from for the Yaris economy figures I've been getting.

I used to drive a Civic HX which was the newer upgraded model from the Civic VX and although the mpg rated numbers were pretty high, I was getting about the same mpg figures as my current Yaris. I like the fact that the Yaris feels like it has much more torque than both the Civic VX and HX though, I can actually peel out with the Yaris easily which didn't seem possible with the civics. Then again those civics only opened up one intake valve on all 4 cylinders and later opened all 8 when you reached 2000 rpm. It's also possible the bad mpg on my old HX never had the EGR and throttle body cleaned, nor the oxygen sensor / air fuel sensor replaced which I hear makes a big difference.

This brings me to another question, is there an EGR valve on our cars? The only thing I've read on this forum was a way to clean the MAF sensor but nothing comes up when I search for EGR cleaning or emissions related cleaning.
07liftback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 11:40 PM   #23
fasteddie07

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris
My '07 hatch has 181K miles on it. I drive it pretty hard. Hypermiling,WTF? I average 32-33 mpg. However, on a recent trip, almost all freeway, I got 38.6 mpg. Amazing car. My wife hates it, so I'll keep it another 11 years. Still has the original clutch and brakes! Just wish it had cruise control.
fasteddie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 04:27 PM   #24
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddie07 View Post
My '07 hatch has 181K miles on it. I drive it pretty hard. Hypermiling,WTF? I average 32-33 mpg. However, on a recent trip, almost all freeway, I got 38.6 mpg. Amazing car. My wife hates it, so I'll keep it another 11 years. Still has the original clutch and brakes! Just wish it had cruise control.
Hypermiling was yuge on this forum about 8-10 yrs ago. Not as many people talking about it these days but it was totally a thing. People looking for every opportunity to get their car into FICO mode, never going over 55 mph, drafting larger vehicles, turning off the engine at stop lights and more. With as good of gas mileage as these cars get driving them like you stole them, I never saw the point. I'd be more inclined to be bothered with it if I drove a large truck but I'd never own a large truck, so, yeah lol.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote