Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-18-2018, 03:04 PM   #1
chefslot

Drives: xp90 1.3l 57
Ebay techstream

Hi guys, what the deal with buying or talking about buying such items on this site. I have had a look at the rules, i'm kind of playing devils advocate here, is buying a item like this breaking the law or not? If this is against rules mods please delete.

Regards
chefslot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 03:50 PM   #2
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
The mini VIC J2534 is a reverse engineered cable AFAIK.

Techstream works without a license, you just don't get some of the diagnostic tools iirc.

It's like requesting a soft drink forum to ban president's choice Cola because it's not the real thing.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
Old 12-18-2018, 04:30 PM   #3
chefslot

Drives: xp90 1.3l 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
The mini VIC J2534 is a reverse engineered cable AFAIK.

Techstream works without a license, you just don't get some of the diagnostic tools iirc.

It's like requesting a soft drink forum to ban president's choice Cola because it's not the real thing.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
Ok just checking buddy, coming from a renault background here!!

Does it include testing the vvt testing etc?

Can you be more precise on what it doesn't include?

Regards
chefslot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 07:25 PM   #4
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
You aren't doing anything illegal buying it as you are not the one who reproduced the software. It's similar to one company using another companies copy written logo on their shirts. The company is at fault for copying, not the consumer who purchased it. At least that is my understanding
Old 12-19-2018, 12:19 AM   #5
komichal

Drives: Yaris 2007 1.3 2SZFE 64kW
I bought some China clone of the hardware, they provided cracked version of the software. Once you use the crack, you are violating the law.
komichal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 10:35 AM   #6
atomic_hoji

Drives: 2018 Yaris SE 5MT
It would be up to a Moderator, but I don't think discussing if an eBay cable works well for you or not would be an issue. I imagine the liability concerns for the forum would revolve more around someone promoting the purchase and use of illegal / pirated software; and that may depend where the forum is hosted as well.

As for the cables, J2534 is an SAE specification that automotive manufacturers use. Barring the manufacturer paying license fees (not the consumers problem) to use the J2534 standard, I can't imagine a scenario where you the consumer buying a cable would be illegal - you can buy a knock off USB cable at Walmart made in China or Taiwan all you like or pay for a high quality brand; maybe the high quality brand pays the USB trademark usage fees and the cheap brand doesn't..

With respect to cables though, always do your reading. When looking for my cable I came across numerous threads that found the cheap cables were not always 100% compatible - they would work as an OBD2 cable, but did not fully support the J2534 standard and would not work for some of the Techstream functions. I chose to pay a bit more and get one that was reviewed to be fully compatible but then, I don't use it as a Technician everyday, so can't tell you for sure it does everything.

The issue with most of the Techstream compatible (J2534 mini VCI) cables is that they ship with a cracked version of Techstream - that is a no-no in most countries. Technically, if you want to use the Techstream with your purchased cable you would need to pay for a license and can use it for the valid license period - e.g. buy a 2-day TIS Professional subscription and get a valid license key for Techstream. And I say that 100% judgement and soapbox free as I have my own opinion on the topic and you are absolutely free to make your own choices.

-- Adam
atomic_hoji is offline   Reply With Quote