Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-19-2019, 09:40 PM   #1
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Exclamation SS Brake Line Warning

so this happened last week...

hopped in my car to head to the gym on an early morning and felt my brake pedal sink down to the floor slowly after stopping at the red light. Checked my fluid and it was half empty. Sure enough one of my Stoptech DOT approved hoses had a leak. I luckily still kept my original rubber hoses so swapped them in, pressure bled the system and was back in business.

The SS lines were about 8 months old and had one season of track use on them. My previous StopTech lines were 2 years old before I replaced them due to looking worn and excessive cracking of the outer covering. Both sets of lines started to crack within the first month due to the bends they have to make on the Yaris suspension. The bends are even tighter if you have coilovers (at least they are with BC coils)

I'm ordering all new rubber lines and sticking with those from here on out. Even when I put the OEM lines back in I couldn't believe how much better the fitment and design was. The two rubber lengths with a metal part in the middle is a much better design due to the tight bends with turning the wheels.

Just a heads up to anyone who's interested.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:48 AM   #2
suprf1y

Drives: 05 Echo
Never been a fan of aftermarket braided lines
suprf1y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 12:56 PM   #3
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Drives: 07 Yaris rs 3 door 2zr swaped
I had a feeling these lines would be problems after I realized the rear ss line kit is no where near compatible with the 2012 yaris se that stoptech claimed they were. With that said, I'm still planning on I stalling the front set as I don't plan to drive in winter with this setup. Hopefully the lack of salt exposure will prolong the life past 8 months. But totally gonna have to keep an eye on 'em

Xd/2zr-fe Swap/Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61427

Bolt-in 3.75" Suspension Lift Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61577
myfirstyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 01:27 PM   #4
tmontague

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstyota View Post
I had a feeling these lines would be problems after I realized the rear ss line kit is no where near compatible with the 2012 yaris se that stoptech claimed they were. With that said, I'm still planning on I stalling the front set as I don't plan to drive in winter with this setup. Hopefully the lack of salt exposure will prolong the life past 8 months. But totally gonna have to keep an eye on 'em
Just keep a really close eye on them. The salt isn't what killed these, it was the tight bends that the suspension design on the yaris required if these lines. It is a little better with stick suspension but still an issue.

You can see the black boot in my line is expanded sideways, this is because that is the position of the line while the wheel is turned. Puts a lot of stress on the fitting at the end of the line.

When I put my new rubber lines in, I'll post how the feel is in comparison to the old ones. I'm not convinced that ss lines are that much stiffer than new oem rubber lines. It is just that most people replace old rubber lines with ss and then price a big difference.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:43 PM   #5
suprf1y

Drives: 05 Echo
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
The salt isn't what killed these
Correct, they fail internally.

The brake line itself will be a plastic of some sort
suprf1y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 05:44 AM   #6
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Drives: 07 Yaris rs 3 door 2zr swaped
I wonder if the rear lines are why the ss front ones don't feel much stiffer? On the 2012 axle I have, there's actually 4 rubber lines from the car body to the caliper. One set from car to axle, a short set of hardlines fastened to the axle and another set of hard lines from axle to caliper. Now I do not recall if the drum setup is the same way.

Xd/2zr-fe Swap/Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61427

Bolt-in 3.75" Suspension Lift Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61577
myfirstyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 06:49 AM   #7
tmontague

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstyota View Post
I wonder if the rear lines are why the ss front ones don't feel much stiffer? On the 2012 axle I have, there's actually 4 rubber lines from the car body to the caliper. One set from car to axle, a short set of hardlines fastened to the axle and another set of hard lines from axle to caliper. Now I do not recall if the drum setup is the same way.
Correct, mine are the same. The rears are just a short run of rubber account for the rear axle beam movement up and down.

The short run of steel hardline on the fronts that mount to the strut tab are a good design and are one of the reasons the ss lines don't fare well.

I've read a bunch into ss vs rubber lines as well as the construction of both. My conclusion is that there really isnt much difference in stiffness between either, the main reason so many state they feel they are stiffer is because they are replacing old worn rubber lines, so it is not a fair comparison. I'll post up if I notice a difference when I put all new rubber lines in
Old 02-21-2019, 07:55 AM   #8
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Off the top of my head I can’t think of anything I would change from OEM on my car.
Old 02-21-2019, 12:28 PM   #9
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
10 bucks for the drop-in interior LED bulb over the left rear wheel facilitates prolonged ajar hatch for interior drying...25 percent of the OEM watts for more light. (everything done carefully w/ these delay lamps, since a short there can kill Hal.)
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 01:38 PM   #10
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Quote:
so this happened last week...

hopped in my car to head to the gym on an early morning and felt my brake pedal sink down to the floor slowly after stopping at the red light. Checked my fluid and it was half empty. Sure enough one of my Stoptech DOT approved hoses had a leak. I luckily still kept my original rubber hoses so swapped them in, pressure bled the system and was back in business.

The SS lines were about 8 months old and had one season of track use on them. My previous StopTech lines were 2 years old before I replaced them due to looking worn and excessive cracking of the outer covering. Both sets of lines started to crack within the first month due to the bends they have to make on the Yaris suspension. The bends are even tighter if you have coilovers (at least they are with BC coils)

I'm ordering all new rubber lines and sticking with those from here on out. Even when I put the OEM lines back in I couldn't believe how much better the fitment and design was. The two rubber lengths with a metal part in the middle is a much better design due to the tight bends with turning the wheels.

Just a heads up to anyone who's interested.
I have the old Micro Image AP setup, no issues with travel or failures - current set has been in use since 2012.

I see Garm still has a set for sale: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Agency-Powe...~cez:rk:1:pf:0
Old 02-22-2019, 07:17 PM   #11
hotracer_05
Hmm, I see...

Drives: 2012 Toyota Tundra and Yaris
I actually bought a set of stoptechs for the front and rear for my 2012 hatch and returned them because the rears looked nothing like the factory ones. I snagged a set of Microimage ones and going to install them when i do my ghetto bbk
Old 04-02-2019, 10:43 AM   #12
Vios96

Drives: Toyota Vios
Quote:
Just keep a really close eye on them. The salt isn't what killed these, it was the tight bends that the suspension design on the yaris required if these lines. It is a little better with stick suspension but still an issue.

You can see the black boot in my line is expanded sideways, this is because that is the position of the line while the wheel is turned. Puts a lot of stress on the fitting at the end of the line.

When I put my new rubber lines in, I'll post how the feel is in comparison to the old ones. I'm not convinced that ss lines are that much stiffer than new oem rubber lines. It is just that most people replace old rubber lines with ss and then price a big difference.
You are right about this, I had steel braided brake lines for the front. The brand is arospeed. My issue was the same as yours as well, there isn't much room for it to move thus making it a tight fit. Last year my passenger side gave up and when I look at it, the line wasn't scratched or cut. The leaked happen behind the coilover where the line runs through it. 2 months after that, my right side gave up as well. Thankfully I wasn't tracking the car or driving on the road, it happen when I was about to exit my driveway when I press the brakes. So the issue is not the brand but it lack in flexibility, mine is kind of a tight fit.
Vios96 is offline   Reply With Quote