Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 04-13-2019, 12:33 AM   #37
aeipee13
DKDC

Drives: Yarlet
Nice! I think the way the car handles unexpected bumps is easiest to call out but you'll notice everything they do over time.

I got my Whiteline bushings after the collars so I'm interested to hear what you feel in comparison. When I installed the whiteline bushings the car felt lifted a bit more than with the spoon collars alone, most likely because the old bushings were well mushed and the new bushings just set everything back into proper place. If you enjoyed the whiteline bushing upgrade the collars will make you happy for sure!

Get Cusco top mounts too, if you don't already have them.
Old 04-13-2019, 10:24 AM   #38
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeipee13 View Post
Nice! I think the way the car handles unexpected bumps is easiest to call out but you'll notice everything they do over time.

I got my Whiteline bushings after the collars so I'm interested to hear what you feel in comparison. When I installed the whiteline bushings the car felt lifted a bit more than with the spoon collars alone, most likely because the old bushings were well mushed and the new bushings just set everything back into proper place. If you enjoyed the whiteline bushing upgrade the collars will make you happy for sure!

Get Cusco top mounts too, if you don't already have them.
I have trd top mounts which are a stiffer rubber and so far the car handles very tight on the track with slicks, down the road I'll look into the cusco top mounts but for now I'm happy with the suspension set up - 7kf and 9kr spring rates currently
Old 05-01-2019, 09:21 PM   #39
tmontague

Got my Spoon collars in the mail the other day and installed them today. Not too impressed with them for a few reasons. The collars themselves seem fine however the instructions are all in Japanese. They offer a page with poorly written English on them but it just says some common sense safety info, not any useful images or instructions like the japanese ones.

The diagrams are all from what I think is a Prius subframe so although similar, it has a handful of extra bolts. My box never came with any rears which I was expecting as it only stated front and I already have rear TRD collars.

The box comes with 2 collars total. 1 you use on each side for the front most mounting point of the subframe. And 2 you use on each side of the middle mounting point on the subframe that goes through the control arm bushing. They send an extra 2 as it appears based on the diagram that depending on your chassis you use one or the other.

So for a stupid high price you essentially get collars for only 2 out of the 3 mounting point on our Yaris subframe. The rear mounting point would be the simplest of all the point to manufacture one collar for. Since I have Whiteline collars that came with my bushings, I essentially can only use the front most collar. I ended up using one of the control arms bushings for the rear most mounting point on the subframe. It isn't snug enough so won't do much but it is better than the original large hole on the subframe and helps fill the gap.

All in all, over priced, poorly explained product that doesn't even cover all the points you need. Not sure what other people on this thread were posting about but the product that I purchased from RHD Japan was the same thing but it seems no one else had this issue. Pics from others of the subframe would be appreciated to figure out what exactly they purchased and installed
Old 05-27-2019, 10:23 PM   #40
aeipee13
DKDC

Drives: Yarlet
Too bad you're not happy with them. Most gray market items will come with little to no english instructions. Also, the front and rear collars are separate. I only have the front. In the rear I have the trd hardened shock bushings and no collars on the lower trailing arm/axel.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:30 AM   #41
saikouguy

Drives: Toyota Echo
For anyone else wanting to install/needs reference material in installing these.

https://www.rigidcollar.jp/blog/2014...4%9C%E8%A8%BC/
saikouguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 11:42 AM   #42
tmontague

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikouguy View Post
For anyone else wanting to install/needs reference material in installing these.

https://www.rigidcollar.jp/blog/2014...4%9C%E8%A8%BC/
good info, thanks!
Old 06-10-2019, 08:38 AM   #43
heeroyuy01195
Post count means nothing.

Drives: AW11, NCP91, Old Motorcycles
Just out of curiosity, doesn't this eliminate the ability to adjust caster?
heeroyuy01195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:29 AM   #44
saikouguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeroyuy01195 View Post
Just out of curiosity, doesn't this eliminate the ability to adjust caster?
I don't see how this would affect the adjustment of caster as this locks the subframe to the chassis.

Caster isn't really adjustable anyways as it's dictated by the bushing on the rear of the front lower control arm. You adjust caster by installing aftermarket offset caster bushings instead.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 06-10-2019, 09:46 AM   #45
heeroyuy01195
Post count means nothing.

Drives: AW11, NCP91, Old Motorcycles
With the control arms being bolted to the subframe and the shocks to the chassis, if you slide the subframe forward you can gain a little positive castor as this move the bottom of the shock forward. Do the opposite and you have some negative castor. Might be only a few millimeters of play here but those few millimeters make a big difference relative to the system. Granted, I don't see your average everyday person doing this but it's there.
heeroyuy01195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:51 AM   #46
saikouguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeroyuy01195 View Post
With the control arms being bolted to the subframe and the shocks to the chassis, if you slide the subframe forward you can gain a little positive castor as this move the bottom of the shock forward. Do the opposite and you have some negative castor. Might be only a few millimeters of play here but those few millimeters make a big difference relative to the system. Granted, I don't see your average everyday person doing this but it's there.
A more reliable way for caster adjustment would be either the offset bushings or custom caster top plates.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 07-04-2019, 05:32 PM   #47
Barryhuh
Banned

Drives: Man
Send a message via ICQ to Barryhuh Send a message via AIM to Barryhuh Send a message via Yahoo to Barryhuh
Spoon Rigid Collars NCP91

Merry Xmas guys,

I have just received my Spoon Fron Subframe Collars and planned on doing the installation in the next days. The kits come with instruction but it is in Jampanese and I am not so good at that.

I did some rearchs on the web but could not find anything details the process. So I was wondering if anyone here had done one before and how difficult is the whole process? Do I need to remove anythinge.g. overpipe and etc else rather than the Subframe bolts? How many trolls jacks do I need to hold the front Subframe?

Any info will be really appreciated...

Thanks
Barryhuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 11:49 PM   #48
saikouguy

Take a look at this. https://www.rigidcollar.jp/blog/2014...4%9C%E8%A8%BC/

You shouldn't really have to unbolt anything unless it you have a brace.

Best way to install it is to jack the car up on some stands and then use the jack to brace & lower the subframe abit as you back out the 4 subframe bolts far enough to slip in the collars when you remove 1 of the 4 bolts then put the bolt back in after you've installed it.

You may need a pry bar to pry the subframe for that extra clearance as it still has the rear engine mount which could cause the subframe not to lower far enough for you to slip the collar in.