Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-10-2019, 01:29 PM   #1
mannycheckers

Drives: 2009 Yaris 2dr Liftback
Question Short Shift Kit in 2019

So I just bought a 2009 Yaris HB 5 spd with 30000 miles and am trying to get a notchier, shorter shift.

I've heard great things about NST, but it appears they no longer make them. I checked MicroImage's ebay, but he is no longer selling the engine bay kit--only the cabin kit and bushings. I have found OEM TRD quickshift (PTR46-52081) which looks like the engine bay kit that NST and MicroImage were selling. I have also found TWM short shifter, bushings, and extension kit. I do not want to lower the shift lever, I would rather have it a bit taller than stock.

So should I buy for $293:
* Microimage In-cabin Short Shift Kit
* Microimage Shifter Cage Bushings
* Microimage Shifter Cable Bushings
* TRD Quick Shifter + Knob

Or should I buy for $301:
* TWM Short Shifter
* TWM Cable Bushings
* TWM Cage Bushings
* TWM Extender
mannycheckers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 11:17 PM   #2
mannycheckers

Drives: 2009 Yaris 2dr Liftback
I found out that TWM performance is no longer in business, but Microimage ended up selling more engine bay short shift kits! I bought it, cable bushings, and the in-cabin kit.

I have so far installed the engine bay kit and have enjoyed it for the most part. The kit definitely makes the throws shorter and sliding into 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gears are very smooth. However, going into 1st, 5th, and reverse are a bit harder to do.

All in all I am happy with the purchase and will look to install the in-cabin kit next.

Also, I have installed the TRD rear sway bar and it makes a YUUUGEE difference. The turns are so much better and now the all-season tires are starting to lose grip in turns. I will have to get some performance summer tires and lighter wheels next, or maybe lowering springs and shocks. I have not decided yet.
mannycheckers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 10:49 AM   #3
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
That's a shame. I bought the short-throw lever from them several years ago. Good quality product.

Combined with the MI engine bay kit it's way too short. I've tried to remove the engine bay part but it's fused with the shifter linkage. =/
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 07:13 PM   #4
iam_elmanny

Drives: 14 Yaris L
Quote:
Originally Posted by mannycheckers View Post
So I just bought a 2009 Yaris HB 5 spd with 30000 miles and am trying to get a notchier, shorter shift.

I've heard great things about NST, but it appears they no longer make them. I checked MicroImage's ebay, but he is no longer selling the engine bay kit--only the cabin kit and bushings. I have found OEM TRD quickshift (PTR46-52081) which looks like the engine bay kit that NST and MicroImage were selling. I have also found TWM short shifter, bushings, and extension kit. I do not want to lower the shift lever, I would rather have it a bit taller than stock.

So should I buy for $293:
* Microimage In-cabin Short Shift Kit
* Microimage Shifter Cage Bushings
* Microimage Shifter Cable Bushings
* TRD Quick Shifter + Knob

Or should I buy for $301:
* TWM Short Shifter
* TWM Cable Bushings
* TWM Cage Bushings
* TWM Extender
will the trd short shifter fit an 14 yaris hatch?
iam_elmanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 07:00 PM   #5
ezhacker1

Drives: Decepticon - Ravage
this is what i got years ago. its physically shorter stalk and also works as the traditional SSK where it attaches to the bottom of the stalk.

https://www.cosmoracing.com/YARIS-19...8?search=yaris

Check out my Build thread:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52274
ezhacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote