Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-14-2014, 07:08 AM   #1
JustPassinThru

Drives: No more Yaris
First Salt Bath!

Should I make the trip in the Yaris?

I have a 2012. It has only seen salt once, one 200-mile leg coming up from Florida just before New Year's. I washed it - weather was unseasonably warm the day I arrived; and parked it.

Other than that, it's never seen a salt rinse. Not last winter and not this winter. I have a beater, a 1996 Tercel, for snow duty.

Now...I've just been called in for a VERY desirable job interview. It's 1200 miles away; it's ten days from now and I'm out of work. So time is not a factor.

I can fly...expensive and I hate it. I can TRY to take the Tercel - it's got issues, as all old beaters do, but it's basically sound, I think.

Or I can take the Yaris, in comfort, with a working radio (the Tercel's is busted).

Thingofit is...the Yaris is, I'd decided, my last car. Times have changed and I won't be able to afford another new, nice car. I bought this one for a good price with cash...and THAT, as they say, is THAT.

I don't know I'll get the job, so however I travel it's speculation. And while it's good-paying there's no guarantee that ANY of us can afford luxuries in the future.

So...I'm wondering: HOW much harm does a relatively short immersion to road salt spray - and also that pea-stone sand they use out West - do to a car? Is it cumulative? Or is it that once it's exposed, the corrosion starts ramping up?

Sort of like...being a virgin. This Yaris had heavy salt-foreplay but basically it's virgin. After 2400-plus miles in slop, that won't be true.

Thoughts? I can leave early with the beater. It might even be possible to rent a car reasonably cheap.
JustPassinThru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:24 AM   #2
sex

Drives: 09 5DR
While we love to keep our cars perfect, they're still a consumable item. Which is worth more? The opportunity for the job or prolonging the useful life of one of your cars? If you take the yaris, would you blue tape the entire front end to protect it or drive bare and hope for the best?
sex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:27 AM   #3
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
my last two Toyotas went through over 15 Michigan winters each, with salt a regular part of life in the winters. I washed them as regularly as possible in the winter. both had very minimal rust at over 15 years and over 200,000 miles. you are way over thinking this. take the car. wash it after the trip. its no big deal. heck, id be more worried about using the tercel as a DD, as the yaris is infinitely more safe in the case of an accident, emergency maneuvers, etc...
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:49 AM   #4
JustPassinThru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sex View Post
While we love to keep our cars perfect, they're still a consumable item. Which is worth more? The opportunity for the job or prolonging the useful life of one of your cars? If you take the yaris, would you blue tape the entire front end to protect it or drive bare and hope for the best?
Consumable, yes.

But this generation of Toyotas are well-nigh mechanically indestructible.

The Tercel has 241,000 hard miles on it - it started life as a rental car. I bought it needing a new engine with 239,000 miles on it. The replacement engine has 140,000 miles on it - and has been starting reliably in our lovely 20-below winter.

Oh, and it spent most of its life in the Carolinas - after the car-rental company finished, a student bought it. He got a job in the North a few years ago. So the Tercel only has about five salt winters on it.

I expect the Yaris will last as long, mileage-wise. Rust, corrosion, is another matter - I've lost a lot of good cars to corrosion that was just too expensive to patch.

No car lasts forever. But when the Yaris is as old as the Tercel is, I'll be long retired - and there won't be money for a new car. WILL. NOT.

I spent $15,000 of my savings keeping alive without work this year, and it's not over yet. That could have been my final Retirement Car, but it wasn't.

So, I've got to use a strategy in terms of having transportation in the future.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:15 AM   #5
sex

Drives: 09 5DR
Amtrak/greyhound?
sex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:20 AM   #6
JustPassinThru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sex View Post
Amtrak/greyhound?
Amtrash, no.

If you want an adventure, travel Amtrash.

If you actually want to GET somewhere...you're better off walking the tracks.

Greyhound is more reliable but the kinds of people on those things...gives me pause.

I'll see what I can cadge for a rental car. That actually makes as much sense as kicking the Yaris out of hibernation - it needs oil changed and other work done and I have to put the insurance back on it.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:23 AM   #7
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
I'm 8 years running in a high salt environment. To date, I do not have any apparent salt damage to my '06 Yaris. You are unreasonable paranoid about the occasional taste of salt.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:11 AM   #8
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
i say drive it... spend the days there and wash it as soon as you come back. Salt & heat don't go well together.

that's about it, it won't rust/harm your car.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:44 AM   #9
roxy1

I will still be using my yaris 20 years from now, and it will get driven every single day in the Michigan winters. it is not a concern.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:12 PM   #10
dj92
Embracing Curves

Drives: '14 Prius Executive
If taxes are not high where you live (sadly, it's about 780$ here per year), I'd look for a W201 Diesel:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_W201
It doesn't consume much fuel and fixing it is a charm.
dj92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 02:48 PM   #11
DebbyM46227

Drives: 2017 Yaris IA, Pulse Red, Auto
Wow, you sound so depressing! Take the Yaris. If you encounter any salt, wash it, especially the underbody. One or two encounters with road salt isn't going to rust it out.
DebbyM46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 02:59 PM   #12
JustPassinThru

Well, it's solved.

With some discount codes, I got a rental-car deal. One week, $200; unlimited mileage.

That's almost cheaper than driving my own.
Old 02-15-2014, 01:36 PM   #13
Viperoni

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
Well, it's solved.

With some discount codes, I got a rental-car deal. One week, $200; unlimited mileage.

That's almost cheaper than driving my own.
So you paid $200 to rent a car instead of driving a car you already own and paid for, that performs the same function? And that $200 is almost cheaper than driving your own?

A simple car wash with under-body spray will clean off anything that may worry you.
2005 Toyota Echo RS 4dr hatch - Cyl #3 bad - sold
2000 Toyota Echo 2dr coupe - The track car - rusty & scrapped
Viperoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:20 PM   #14
JustPassinThru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperoni View Post
So you paid $200 to rent a car instead of driving a car you already own and paid for, that performs the same function? And that $200 is almost cheaper than driving your own?

Yup.

It also needs to have the insurance returned on it; and it needs about $100 worth of servicing done.

And those miles add up.

And I'm not PAYING for it - it's paid for. A car costs between ten and twenty cents a mile just in wear and depreciation. Do the math! A $22,000 car you run for 200,000 miles and then sell for $2000 as a beater or trade in.

I'm figuring this trip will run me 2000 miles; more if I have a lot of chasing around to do at the other end. Which I will if they offer me the job and I have to arrange housing.

So a $200 cost...is just paying for the wear.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:19 PM   #15
roxy1

I can see taking a rental instead of 2000 miles on your car. however, for someone so worried about a little salt during winter driving, im surprised driving such a relatively unsafe car all winter isn't more of a concern. it wont matter how much or little rust your yaris has in 15 years if someone T bones your tercel next week and puts you 6 feet under. just sayin.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:17 PM   #16
JustPassinThru

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy1 View Post
I can see taking a rental instead of 2000 miles on your car. however, for someone so worried about a little salt during winter driving, im surprised driving such a relatively unsafe car all winter isn't more of a concern. it wont matter how much or little rust your yaris has in 15 years if someone T bones your tercel next week and puts you 6 feet under. just sayin.
It all makes more sense.

Flying would be maybe the same price, roughly but I'd probably spend $100 or so at the minimum, for cab-service. Or a rental there; and rental at the airport on short notice wouldn't be cheap. This is in a tourist mecca.

And I do not like to fly.

I did look into Amtrash. Fares would be $320 and I would need to find a way to get 100 miles from the train station to where I need to be. Another car rental.

No...this is the way to do it. If it were JUST about the road salt I'd probably have said the hell with it at this point, but getting the thing in for servicing (I don't have a place to do my own work) and putting insurance back on it ($$$) adds to the cost of that program
Old 02-16-2014, 08:35 AM   #17
Slanoie

Drives: Yaris 09 4 doors hatch M/T
Just saying, for the salt, here's what my Yaris looks like all winter long (approx. December to April)... I wash it 1 or 2 times during this period.

Slanoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:03 PM   #18
JustPassinThru

Yeah, I get that. Outer sheet-metal rust-through is rare these days.

I had a Geo Metro...outer body, beautiful. No holes; but the front subframe rotted apart and collapsed. The car was a total loss.

Elsewhere here, there's notice that some parts of the Yaris front suspension seem susceptible to corrosion and failure. I'd like to avoid that; as I'd like to avoid the other, lesser inconveniences of working on a car where fasteners are all rusted, stuck, and with the hex-heads nearly gone.