Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-14-2019, 01:45 PM   #1
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
MWR AEM EMS 4 P&P ECU

Just a heads up to those with the 2zr. I emailed MWR a few weeks ago inquiring what their recommendations would be for a standalone with the 2zr seeing as it is dual vvti and drive by wire. As usual I received a very brief email back that let me know that they should have something out by early next year.

Keep in mind that I also heard something similar years ago regarding a long tube header and nothing every came to fruition. That said, I have noticed lately a lot of AEM standalone ECU option popping up for the 1zz, 2zz and Lotus 2zr engines which typically are sold as a kit with the EMS 4, boomslang P&P harness and a base tune.

It wouldn't surprise me if they actually were working on a simple P&P standalone option for the 2zr crowd seeing as there is currently nothing available and all they would really have to do is figure out a base tune. A boomslang harness already exists for the 2009+ Corolla for about $750 USD. Although this is much more expensive than wiring in your own universal harness, it would save quite a bit of time and allows you to simply swap back to your stock ecu and harness if ever needed. To me this is well worth the cost is reduction in time but also the ability to conserve the oem ecu and harness. Tuning is new territory for me so I like the ability to swpa back for any reason and keep the car drivable as well as OBD II compliant (if you are in an area that e tests).

Technically you could currently buy a boomslang P&P harness and an EMS 4 separately and have a tuner set it up for you. The problem with that is your car will not run until you have a tuner set it up. A base map save your tuner time (and you money) and allows you to drive it gently to get it tuned. Much more economical this way. It appears that the corolla ecu side of the harness is the same as the xD ecu sid eof the harness and should therefor work the same with xd ECU and harnesses that most of us 2zr swapped yaris have

I'll update this thread if I see or hear anything new, but it looks like the cost would be around $1200 and $1500 USD for the P&P option based on their kits for other engines.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:39 AM   #2
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Interesting stuff! For what they are the boomslang harnesses are insanely priced. Even if there was one available for the F/IC and my application, I'd still probably hardwire. The F/IC comes with a bypass harness, but I haven't investigated well enough to know if I just bypass that the car will run. It would have some fueling issues, I expect, with the ECU trying to control the larger injectors. Have you looked at the Haltech ECUs? I was looking at those before finally just sticking with the F/IC. It's been a while, but some of the Haltech's do handle DBW.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 08:32 PM   #3
benoityip

Drives: Corolla 1.8
I am keen for a standalone ECU for my rev limit problem
benoityip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 08:07 AM   #4
benoityip

Drives: Corolla 1.8
Have been talking to haltech lately in email. Haltech elite 1500 is the one I am going after. Raising rev limit requires control of DBW (drive by wire), fuel and spark. Only haltech elite 1500 offer DBW control.

I think 1zz engines rpm is cut by fuel only, hence greedy e ultimate does work. DBW is making the whole thing a lot complicated in 2zr

The next thing I need to find out is whether it will remove my ABs and traction control.

With rev limit of 6400rpm, there is signifantly less fun
benoityip is offline   Reply With Quote