Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-22-2007, 10:35 PM   #37
yuri2002

Drives: Yaris HB
stall master 2007

I stalled at least 200+ times since I owned it, currently at 9500 miles. I stalled it 10x right after I drove away from dealership. Stalled very badly on steep hill, clutch was so smelly dude!

More stalls along the way to work etc. I think I need replacement soon, but I like my Yaris so much
yuri2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 10:37 PM   #38
yuri2002

Drives: Yaris HB
even my bf stalled a dozen times, and he drive a big block 454 all his life. He even redlined the engine while in neutral and the MOUSE jumped 50 feet. Eveyone was mad crazy looking at my MOUSIE!!
yuri2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 10:57 PM   #39
woof

Drives: Yaris 3dr Hatch/Black
drifto, I still have trouble finding the sweet spot on my bucket. If I have to get something out of the backseat it takes a few adjustments to get it back. With the Yaris being a Euro-design I am shocked the seat cushions are so short and thin. I noticed how large the seats are in the new Scion xB and Nissan Versa. Definitely for big-assed folks.
woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 11:19 PM   #40
GuySmily

Drives: 2005 Toyota MR2
The two problems I have driving my gf's yaris. The throttle delay (as mentioned before) takes getting used to, and the clutch pedal engages WAY THE HELL OFF THE GROUND. This was true for her car as well as the one we test drove.

When I buy my Yaris, the clutch pedal will be adjusted before I leave the lot.
GuySmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 01:41 AM   #41
forpinks

Drives: 03 Toyota Corolla S modded,
It's made for Europeans... I test drove the Yaris and the clutch feels like my old 1.1L turbo Kia Pride. THe 1NZ clutch will be perfect for "quick drop shifts" and really has the stunt driver feel to it.

(Just change the clutch to stage 3 and make it feel like a RWD stick)

BUT YOU JUST GOTTA LOVE IT....
forpinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 12:34 PM   #42
drifto

Drives: 07 5spd Yaris LB
Send a message via MSN to drifto
Quote:
Originally Posted by woof View Post
drifto, I still have trouble finding the sweet spot on my bucket. If I have to get something out of the backseat it takes a few adjustments to get it back. With the Yaris being a Euro-design I am shocked the seat cushions are so short and thin. I noticed how large the seats are in the new Scion xB and Nissan Versa. Definitely for big-assed folks.
for me the trick is not the just the slide position but the recline position. i put my seat all the way in the furthest position, ( i have long legs) but if i recline the seat back just right i can sit a little further back in the seat giving me a comfortable position to drive.
my only complaint on the seats is the height level, i wish it was a little lower to the floor, and besides the seats are really comfortable to me. ive taken a nice nap in my car on more than a few occasions.

07 Yaris LB 5spd
AE86 Corolla GTS 5spd
http://microimage.ning.com/
http://www.microimageonline.com/store.html
drifto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 12:55 PM   #43
roxy84

Drives: 07 black yaris 5 speed lb
of the 20 drives ive taken in many test drives with the yaris, not once did i stall the car. i attribute this to being used to my corolla 5 speed, which is also throttle by wire in addition to the clutch on the corolla not giving much feedback.
roxy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 12:08 AM   #44
tannergdog

Drives: 07 yaris
Horrible design.

I've read what others have said and am glad to see I'm not the only one none to happy with it. The throttle delay is nothing but completely frustrating. I too have driven sticks all my life, including an old 60's Fiat with a bent clutch plate and even IT was easier to deal with than this. I've managed to figure out that to start smoothly from first gear I need to blip the throttle 2-3 times to 'wake it up' before starting to let the clutch out. It doesn't work to depress the gas and listen for the engine rev's because by that time you've killed it. The other side of the coin is to rev it way beyond normal and drive it like I'm off to the races just to go to the store. ( no I did not test drive the stick before I purchased. I purchased without a test drive. It never entered my mind that they would allow such a sloppy throttle setup to be released to the public. Yes, I'm fully aware that it is my own damn fault. But poor engineering is just poor engineering.)

There has got to be a way to tighten the response up with a software change. Wonder if anybody has an after market setup for ECU modifications?
tannergdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 01:11 AM   #45
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
How long have you had the car....? I was one to complain about it in a minor way...but I've gotten use to it.
It takes time and yes its more different than ther clutches I've driven from my friends cars i.e. 350Z, BMW M3, etc....but once you get it down its pretty easy. And its kind of a norm from my p.ov. that you might kill the engine (on accident) here and there.
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 02:48 AM   #46
tannergdog

I have around 4000, to 4500 miles on it at the moment.

Agreed. Killing the engine now and then happens. Nobody is perfect. But a half second or quarter second delay of the throttle is simply not acceptable in my book. For years and years a simple direct connect throttle setup gave us instant throttle response. Now we have computerized "throttle by wire" and it's less responsive? It seems backward to me.

I plan to keep an eye out for a software modification.
Old 07-15-2007, 04:07 AM   #47
Pars

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
I've got 70,000km and I no longer have any issue with the clutch take-up. It was an annoyance when the car was new, but now it isn't. It could be that my left foot has somehow managed to be proactive and fixed the problem without getting my brain involved, or the engine has loosen up enough to return a decent amount of initial torque while the clutch has worn-out enough so that that initial bite isn't as drastic. Probably a combination of all the above.

I find that when I'm running with high octane (premium) fuel, I can loaf around at under 1500rpm without a problem. The engine response feels almost as good as my old car that had excellent initial power.

Since response at low rpm has gotten good (with premium fuel) It'd be cool if the engine fuel cutoff worked until 1000 rpm (instead 1200rpm). Perhap 1200rpm is necessary for a newer engine, but once things free-up, I think 1000rpm would be better. The extra 200rpm of rolling along without any gas going to the engine could add-up to huge savings at the pump.
Pars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 04:24 AM   #48
tannergdog

Hmm. I've been running the lowest octane fuel up to this point. I'll trying switching to premium and see if it makes any difference.

The clutch seems o.k., it's the throttle delay that kills me.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:48 PM   #49
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Send a message via ICQ to Jem_hadar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tannergdog View Post
Now we have computerized "throttle by wire" and it's less responsive? It seems backward to me.
Its like that bc its more fuel efficient. AFAIK thats the primary reason.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:31 AM   #50
jdium
Mr Attitude

Drives: Blazing Blue 5 Spd
I've gotten used to it. The clutch works great once you are comfortable with the engagement and power levels of this lil car. But good luck driving another car. My girlfriends Prelude SH is a bitch to drive now, I'm so used to the throttle lag her car jumps and chirps every green light. Not to mention the difference in shifter engagement...

Don't even ask me about what it's like to switch from the Yaris 5sp LB to my 5.0 Lx Vert Auto...tire smoke abounds...
Old 07-17-2007, 12:48 PM   #51
mikeukrainetz

Drives: 2006 Toyota Yaris
Im another thats driven mostly 5spds and have posted comments about the clutch quite some time ago. I have 25000km on the car now - almost two years old - and still feel like im learning to drive.
I have a hell of a time still with a consistent takeup, even with second and sometimes third gear.
Anyone else find the ratio gap between 1st and 2nd a little long?
mikeukrainetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 06:01 PM   #52
fmicle

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Ah, come on man, 100+ kills and you still think something is wrong with the CAR???

I got over 4K miles on mine and maybe killed the engine 4-5 times. I've had 2 Diesel compact cars before, and the Diesel engine has a more powerful torque, I used to move from a complete halt without even touching the gas pedal, just using the power of the idling engine... and I even killed those engines a few times. That just happens with a manual.

I even managed to kill an engine with automatic transmission! :-) I couldn't do it anytime, but I think I did it twice or so in 2 years, usually during a quick maneuver at low speed, like breaking suddenly or so, the automatic clucth doesn't disengage quickly enough. Like I said, hard to reproduce ;-)
fmicle is offline   Reply With Quote