Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-27-2012, 06:25 PM   #145
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
Aww, all these Yari...still fresh and barely broken in. ;)

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:27 PM   #146
edmscan

Drives: 2020 Corolla
2007 Black Yaris RS 3 Dr LB
162,000 KM
Running just fine ..
edmscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:17 AM   #147
liseky
Stoplight ahead!

Drives: 2007 Flinty Yaris Sedan
2007 Flint Mica Sedan. Purchased July 2006.

49,998 miles exactly. ;)

Replaced tires, air filter, battery, and serpentine belt. Woohoo!

Last edited by liseky; 05-04-2012 at 12:44 AM.
liseky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:09 AM   #148
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by liseky View Post
2007 Flint Mica Sedan. Purchased July 2006.

49,998 miles exactly. ;)

Replaced tires, air filter, battery, and timing belt. Woohoo!
If the mechanic told you they changed your timing belt, then you were scammed.

The Yaris doesn't have a timing belt LOL.

It has a chain that should last the life of the car, even if that's 500,000 miles. It may need adjustments, but rarely.

Even if it did have a belt, you wouldn't need to touch it until around 100,000 miles.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:38 PM   #149
liseky
Stoplight ahead!

Sorry, I keep forgetting to call it the serpentine belt. It was uncomfortably cracked for me. The Yaris has that, right? :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
If the mechanic told you they changed your timing belt, then you were scammed.

The Yaris doesn't have a timing belt LOL.

It has a chain that should last the life of the car, even if that's 500,000 miles. It may need adjustments, but rarely.

Even if it did have a belt, you wouldn't need to touch it until around 100,000 miles.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:38 PM   #150
Kal-El

Quote:
Originally Posted by liseky View Post
Sorry, I keep forgetting to call it the serpentine belt. It was uncomfortably cracked for me. The Yaris has that, right? :)
OK, cool. Had a feeling you meant that.

Although I'm surprised yours went that early. Normally they go upwards 90,000 miles before cracking. Though it depends on time just as much as miles. All city = shorter life. The 90K example is with a lot of highway.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:47 AM   #151
liseky
Stoplight ahead!

I was surprised and a bit disappointed too. I probably could have driven a bit more on it but the squealing hit a nerve and I wasn't comfortable adjusting it on my own.

Quote:
OK, cool. Had a feeling you meant that.

Although I'm surprised yours went that early. Normally they go upwards 90,000 miles before cracking. Though it depends on time just as much as miles. All city = shorter life. The 90K example is with a lot of highway.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:57 AM   #152
contraband831
El Huevo

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Well I'm at 215k now
Replaced:
Serpentine belt
Rear shocks
Oil and filter
Windshield, crack finally bugged me
Spark plugs

This LB has been great, one of the best cars I've owned

contraband831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:39 PM   #153
Kal-El

Quote:
Originally Posted by contraband831 View Post
Well I'm at 215k now
Replaced:
Serpentine belt
Rear shocks
Oil and filter
Windshield, crack finally bugged me
Spark plugs

This LB has been great, one of the best cars I've owned
Wow, you've done some driving. 215K and just a few wear items replaced. Good stuff!
Old 05-04-2012, 08:34 PM   #154
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
215,956 miles (currently) -- 2007 Bayou Blue 3-Door 5MT Liftback (with Convenience Group, Cold Weather Package, Armrest (which I removed) and Front and Rear Carpeted Floor Mats and Cargo Mat) - I bought it (new) while on a trip and I checked (online) the inventory of every Toyota Dealer in the entire Northeast and a total of only five 3-Door Manual Transmission Yari were listed in inventory for the entire Northeast....so I got as close as I could to what I wanted re options and color....I purchased it and drove it off the lot on October 7th 2006...........I've Replaced.........;at 71,480 miles-4 tires, -- at 89,073 miles-cover/casing for passenger side rear view mirror (stolen off of car in broad daylight while I was volunteering for Habitat for Humanity in New Orleans), -- at 110,364 miles-Front Wheel Bearings, -- at 131,751 miles-Air Filter, -- at 138,055 miles-New Battery, -- at 138,111 miles-New Low Beam Headlight Bulb, -- at 140,553 miles-4 tires, -- at 150,207 miles-New Low Beam Headlight Bulb (other headlight-other side of car), -- at 159,037 miles-Alternator, -- at 171,839 miles-Rear Plate/Car Tag Light Bulb, -- at 207,165 miles-Serpentine Belt, and Rear Brakes adjusted (Parking Brake now feels new -- Brakes still original and only worn 20 percent at each corner/all the way around), -- at 208,828 miles-Spark Plugs, at 208,832 miles-Air Filter, and over the 'life' of the car 13 oil+filter changes (with the last one at 207,297 miles)........When I got the car back after the Spark Plug change the rep said that they looked for things to suggest that I have done and the only thing they could come up with was to change the air filter. I told him I had one ready to put in later that day and he said he thought that would be my reply. This is the only car I've ever owned that has made it past 200,000 miles, and it still feels solid and well put together (a Wednesday car?). The original battery and the original alternator in this car each lasted longer than in any car I've ever owned. The only interior parts really showing any wear are the driver and front passenger seat cushions and the rest of the interior is faded (but not worn) from the Gulf Coast heat. I may get the battery checked this weekend as it seems as though it might be losing enough CCA capacity to hinder proper operation. I can't complain though -- it is Sears cheapest 1 year battery (at the time I thought I might trade in for a new Yaris within a year) and it has lasted 2 years 7 months and will hit 78,000 miles this weekend. I have read posts on another site where a member had the original battery on an Echo last 7 years and over 200,000 miles, so Contraband831 could definitely still be using the original battery...but re tires...I'm curious at to their life......Contraband831 -- How long have you been able to make your tires last and any tips re extending tire life?
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:44 PM   #155
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
I was just looking at another thread (that i happened to post to in March of 2012) and realized that on my post above on this thread that I forgot to include that in March of 2012 I needed to add and added coolant for the first time ---- coolant was still in the overflow reservoir, but it was quite a bit below the fill line. I bought some of the OEM coolant and only used some of the bottle and accidentally brought the level a bit above the fill line. I have also (obviously) bought washer/wiper fluid over the years and that is just about the only thing I haven't kept track of. I know some people may think I'm crazy not to have done a coolant flush, but I have easily made it through 3+ Houston Summers.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:38 PM   #156
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
for some reason my block turned into swiss cheese at only 75k! and oh yeah...I am getting a faulty charcoal canister code now too along with the fuel tank filler sensor code.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:44 PM   #157
Kal-El

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
215,956 miles (currently) -- 2007 Bayou Blue 3-Door 5MT Liftback (with Convenience Group, Cold Weather Package, Armrest (which I removed) and Front and Rear Carpeted Floor Mats and Cargo Mat) - I bought it (new) while on a trip and I checked (online) the inventory of every Toyota Dealer in the entire Northeast and a total of only five 3-Door Manual Transmission Yari were listed in inventory for the entire Northeast....so I got as close as I could to what I wanted re options and color....I purchased it and drove it off the lot on October 7th 2006...........I've Replaced.........;at 71,480 miles-4 tires, -- at 89,073 miles-cover/casing for passenger side rear view mirror (stolen off of car in broad daylight while I was volunteering for Habitat for Humanity in New Orleans), -- at 110,364 miles-Front Wheel Bearings, -- at 131,751 miles-Air Filter, -- at 138,055 miles-New Battery, -- at 138,111 miles-New Low Beam Headlight Bulb, -- at 140,553 miles-4 tires, -- at 150,207 miles-New Low Beam Headlight Bulb (other headlight-other side of car), -- at 159,037 miles-Alternator, -- at 171,839 miles-Rear Plate/Car Tag Light Bulb, -- at 207,165 miles-Serpentine Belt, and Rear Brakes adjusted (Parking Brake now feels new -- Brakes still original and only worn 20 percent at each corner/all the way around), -- at 208,828 miles-Spark Plugs, at 208,832 miles-Air Filter, and over the 'life' of the car 13 oil+filter changes (with the last one at 207,297 miles)........When I got the car back after the Spark Plug change the rep said that they looked for things to suggest that I have done and the only thing they could come up with was to change the air filter. I told him I had one ready to put in later that day and he said he thought that would be my reply. This is the only car I've ever owned that has made it past 200,000 miles, and it still feels solid and well put together (a Wednesday car?). The original battery and the original alternator in this car each lasted longer than in any car I've ever owned. The only interior parts really showing any wear are the driver and front passenger seat cushions and the rest of the interior is faded (but not worn) from the Gulf Coast heat. I may get the battery checked this weekend as it seems as though it might be losing enough CCA capacity to hinder proper operation. I can't complain though -- it is Sears cheapest 1 year battery (at the time I thought I might trade in for a new Yaris within a year) and it has lasted 2 years 7 months and will hit 78,000 miles this weekend. I have read posts on another site where a member had the original battery on an Echo last 7 years and over 200,000 miles, so Contraband831 could definitely still be using the original battery...but re tires...I'm curious at to their life......Contraband831 -- How long have you been able to make your tires last and any tips re extending tire life?

As for tires, tire life depends mostly on driving conservatively (certainly not peeling out or whipping around turns like it's a race). The second most important thing is proper alignment and periodic rotations.

But if long tire life is a tire priority for you, then simply purchase tires with the highest tread life ratings. Most tires have such ratings from the manufacturer. The highest are rated to about 90,000 miles (estimated of course).

The best place, by far, to research everything about tires is TireRack.com.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:13 AM   #158
vitzrider

Drives: 2006 Toyota Vitz SCP90
2006 Vitz 2SZ-FE
Don't know the exact color, "Sky" blue
98,000 km or about 61,000 miles

Just regular maintenance, no problems yet
vitzrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:13 AM   #159
blue_rider

Drives: 2007 Yaris LE 5 dr LB
Year: 2007 (second owner, purchased in 2009 w/20,000 km), extended warranty.
Model: LE, 5 door liftback, ABS brakes, power windows, mirrors & door locks, keyless entry.
Colour: silver
Kilometers: 67,900 km
Problems: Noticed a resonating hum when reaching speeds of 85- 90 km/hr on the highway then disappearing at 100 km/hr. At first the dealership said to "just live with it", but at my insistence for a road test they determined that it was a faulty hub (bearing) and replaced it at 20,400 km. The problem still persists!
Both side bezels became detached within a week of each other and the dealership tried to convince me that it was the result of vandalism. The plastic clip that secures them in place had become weak and cracked but the dealership refused to replace them under warranty.
Serpentine belt replaced at 60,000 km (cracked).
Replaced original tires at 67,900 km.
Lately, I've noticed my fuel economy is not as good as it once was, maybe the new tires will help.
Overall, I like the car but have problems with the dealership's attitude sometimes.
blue_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:14 AM   #160
TheRabbitHole
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 Blue Toyota Yaris
2007 Hatchback- bought brand new off the lot
63000 miles
Bayou Blue

In October 2011 @ 61000 miles I had to finally replace my battery, but not even a week later my water pump system started to fail. It was making this loud cycling sound, almost thought it was my alternator but wasn't. Fixed, fine now.
Then this month, just a couple days ago, my fuel gauge sensor crapped out on me. I ran out of gas on my way to work- that was fun.
Other than those 2 big issues, I've just had to do regular upkeep and I bought new tires at 32000 miles and need more now.
TheRabbitHole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:31 PM   #161
thepartsmancometh

Drives: '08 LB, '07 WRX
Quote:

As for tires, tire life depends mostly on driving conservatively (certainly not peeling out or whipping around turns like it's a race). The second most important thing is proper alignment and periodic rotations.

But if long tire life is a tire priority for you, then simply purchase tires with the highest tread life ratings. Most tires have such ratings from the manufacturer. The highest are rated to about 90,000 miles (estimated of course).

The best place, by far, to research everything about tires is TireRack.com.
Also important, AIR PRESSURE! check them regularly.

Rather than looking at tread warranty, which is made up on a whim from the manufacturer (its as much marketing as logic), look at the UTQG on the tire. The universal tire quality grade is federally mandated (so all tires are REQUIRED to have it), and contains a treadwear index. Pick a tire with a higher index, and it should last longer. Thq UTQG also accounts for temperature and traction ratings.

It will generally look like this : 540 A A
540 treadwear index, A traction, A temperature range.
(these numbers from my 215/45r17 ContiExtreme DWS because my wrx is the closest car to look at!)

Yaris wise, we are at 70000 miles currently. Its a 2008 3dr, auto. Got it 7/31/08. No major issues to report!
thepartsmancometh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:07 PM   #162
nookandcrannycar

I stopped by Sears Auto Center over the weekend and the rep asked me some questions and, after listening to my answers, said my battery sounds fine right now. I stopped by because the new interference, etc. I'm noticing with the radio made me think that this might be because of a weak battery. The rep asked me if the engine was turning over right away without hesitation when I tried to start it or if I was experiencing hesitation. I said no hesitation. He said in the future at a point where I do start to experience this hesitation, bring the car in and they can do the test (about 12 dollars, the same price I was charged in 2009) to determine if the battery needs to be replaced at that point......Re tires...I'm pretty sure that my originals (and definitely the 2 replacement sets) were/are rated at 65,000 miles. The originals made it, as stated, to 71,480 miles. The first replacement set I got locally at Wal-Mart and they lasted 69,073 miles. The second replacement set I got at a Firestone dealer (fantastic price) in PA (on my way to NY, CT, and MA) and I have nearly 76,000 miles on them. I'd guess I have possibly another 10,000 miles of tread life left on them. I'll look to get the Firestone tires again, as long as I can find a price I find acceptable. I run my tires at 38-40 PSI because that is where I get the best MPG and the handling feel that I like. If I remember correctly the manufacturer's PSI stat has usually been 32-34 PSI with a max of 44 PSI on all the tired my car has been shod with. I have read posts from other members (after I was already doing it) stating that they run about the same PSI I do for the same reasons. I have also read (only a few) other posts where the member stated they got 100,000 miles out of a 65,000 mile rated tire, but didn't elaborate re normal running PSI, rotations, nor anything else that could have an effect on tire wear. I just wondered if there was something unusual that these few other people were doing to gain the extra miles of tread wear, and if Contraband is also one of those few people. Thanks to everyone for your replies.