Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-05-2009, 08:39 AM   #19
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by BailOut View Post
That is incorrect. All tire pressure metrics are rated and measured when the tire is cold (<= 70F) for consistency. This is why it is always recommended that you check and adjust tire pressure first thing in the morning.

Heat expansion is calculated into the "cold" numbers.
are you sure? i freaked out when i saw 55psi on my bridgestone Re92 after a long day driving on a hot summer day..
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:19 AM   #20
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
BailOut is correct-I believe it specifies cold right on the sidewall. A tire is considered to be "cold" if the vehicle has been driven one mile or less in the previous 3 hours.

R2
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:07 PM   #21
Henry G.

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
Still getting 35mpg. 90 plus degrees here, driving about 40-50% of the time with the AC on, and I rev the crap out of the car. I know I could easily get another 2-3 mpg driving easier but I dont care, I like winding this little bastard up and driving the tires off it. Premium is here to stay until winter. I've already scrimped enough on purchasing this roller skate car, I maintain the crap outta of it, and have an extended 100k mile warranty. Im doing to this car exactly what I bought it for: driving the hell out of it.
The GT's are very good, not great but good. They complain and slide at the edge of traction, but slide predictably and do not lose control. For a compromise of a long wearing but good handling all season V-rated tire, they fit the bill. I just wish I got the 55 profile. 205 is too wide for these stock rims IMO, so next year before winter when these are worn out at around 65k I will likely try the 195/55's.
Henry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:04 PM   #22
RUFFSTUFF
Banned

Drives: 2009 TOYOTA YARIS SEDAN
If your engine doesn't knock or ping with 87 octane, then running a higher octane is a waste of money. Higher octane is used in high compression or modified motors to prevent pre-ignition... If you're that concerned with the possibility of a minute performance improvement, go on a diet... the reduced sprung mass will reduce the load on your engine, and your car may handle better!

RUFFSTUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 12:56 AM   #23
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
Just to add in my two cents, my 08 didn't come with Eagles but came with the potenzas. The wierd thing though is my gf's 07 sedan came from the lot brand new with Toyo's. Never heard of any other cars coming with them or am I just out of the loop?
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 02:29 AM   #24
Henry G.

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
If your engine starts to ping the computer will retard the ignition stopping the ping and possible engine damage=performance loss. You will likely never hear the ping anti-knock sensors are way more sensitive then your ear. I just want the engine running at full potential.
If a dollar a tank puts a ding in your budget then you better vote for Obama again in 2012 because you must be on welfare or the cheapest bastard ever. The point of my initial post was to point out tire pressure and octane appear to have a significant effect on mpg and handling in my case, and to give a review of the new Eagle GT's. These are NOT the Eagles that come on the car standard, those are older Eagle LS's. This is a new V-rated tire with a 440 wear rating.
I know there are guys here that squeeze a penny so hard Lincoln's head explodes; thats their business. I own 10 different cars, trucks, motorcycles, trailers and a boat, I just needed a cheap ass car to drive 30k a year and not be worn out or broken after 3 years. So far this sucker fits the bill.
Henry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 01:42 AM   #25
eddy
love to drive

Drives: 2010 yaris sedan
Smile eagle ls tires

I have the eagle Ls tires on my yaris I have no trouble with them. Ihave driven in the rain in the city and on the freeway (thru canyons and what have you) at 32psi
eddy is offline   Reply With Quote