Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-14-2017, 07:27 PM   #1
YarisMaaad
I've made a post!

Drives: 1999 Yaris
Red face 1999 Yaris, No spark! help please 🙏

Hey guys I'm new here and I hope you can help with my issue.

I've recently purchased a Toyota Yaris (non runner) it was advertised as keys lost but had all relevant paperwork and it was very cheap so I said it's worth buying.

I've replaced key, ecu, ignition ring and barrels, tried to fire up and it's not giving spark, it turns over and sounds healthy but still no spark.

I connected my OBD and I'm getting b0101 drivers airbag squib open circuit (current)

Could this be causing the issue?

Any help I could get here would be great and thanks In advance guys 👍

More info on car

1999 yaris 1.0 Engine
YarisMaaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:13 PM   #2
bambam28

Drives: Yaris Hatchback 2012 SE
I am not familiar with 99 yaris, BUT if the cylinder where you put the key in the steering wheel had an inmobilizer and you replaced it with one that doesnt have it, the computer is not going to let the car start
bambam28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 04:49 PM   #3
B.B._07

Drives: 07 5dr
Your airbag code is not the cause of your no spark, no start condition (but don't expect your airbag to work until you get that issue resolved). I'm fairy certain that an '99 Euro Yaris doesn't have an ECU immobilizer with the chip key since the US/Canadian models did not include that feature until '08. If you're not getting spark I would look further into the ignition system. From the pictures I've looked at it looks like the 1.0 SZ engine has ignition coils so check them for melting, cracks in the insulation, and carbon tracks. Also why did you replace the ECU when replacing the ignition lock barrel and key? If there is a plastic black ring with wiring around the ignition lock barrel than that's for a chipped key. Did your '99 originally have this black plastic ring around the ignition lock barrel?
B.B._07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
no spark