Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-14-2014, 02:01 AM   #1
tyrone_yaris

Drives: Toyota Vitz 2007 facelift
Gear disengage or keep on D

Hi,

I just wanted some clarification as there are many differing opinions on this issue. On my CVT auto Yaris Sedan (known as a Belta here) whenever I stop my car at a signal I used to shift to N instead of leaving the car on gear i.e. D drive and keeping the brake pedal pressed.

After many told me that this would lead to gear problems I leave the gear stick on D and keep the brake pedal pressed when stopping at signals and in traffic jams, I have been doing this for quite sometime now. The only thing is that lately, when I press the brake at a signal the car vibrates.

Will anyone please clarify what is the correct way when stopping at signals on a CVT driven auto car?

Also hope @CT Scott can read this thread and give his opinions too :)

Thanks

Tyrone
tyrone_yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:11 AM   #2
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrone_yaris View Post
I used to shift to N instead of leaving the car on gear i.e. D drive and keeping the brake pedal pressed.

After many told me that this would lead to gear problems I leave the gear stick on D and keep the brake pedal pressed when stopping at signals
Add this to 'Negatives re driving an automatic' . Having to do this while driving a 2013 Yaris rental with under 19k miles on it brought back memories () of the 2-3 years out of the last 30 when I didn't have at least one car with a manual transmission.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:44 AM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Automatics, including CVTs, are intended to be driven stop and go, so there is no reason to shift to neutral when stopping. Vibration when stopped is normal with the Yaris, as the ECM really drops the RPMs when you are stopped to conserve fuel.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:51 AM   #4
jcboy

Drives: Sedan 07
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrone_yaris View Post
Hi,

I just wanted some clarification as there are many differing opinions on this issue. On my CVT auto Yaris Sedan (known as a Belta here) whenever I stop my car at a signal I used to shift to N instead of leaving the car on gear i.e. D drive and keeping the brake pedal pressed.

After many told me that this would lead to gear problems I leave the gear stick on D and keep the brake pedal pressed when stopping at signals and in traffic jams, I have been doing this for quite sometime now. The only thing is that lately, when I press the brake at a signal the car vibrates.

Will anyone please clarify what is the correct way when stopping at signals on a CVT driven auto car?

Also hope @CT Scott can read this thread and give his opinions too :)

Thanks

Tyrone
For quick stoplights and/or if you pass through a lot of stoplights, it would be wise not to disengage from D as doing so adds wear of shifting (and deshifting). Otherwise, putting it to N would be wise if youre at a stoplight for at least 1minute.

The vibration is probably due to either a dirty Intake Manifold/servo/whatnot (thus the very low idle=vibration), or a worn engine mount rubber.
jcboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:40 PM   #5
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Automatics, including CVTs, are intended to be driven stop and go, so there is no reason to shift to neutral when stopping. Vibration when stopped is normal with the Yaris, as the ECM really drops the RPMs when you are stopped to conserve fuel.
My re this was really thinking about 'pressure building up' with one's foot on the brake. I remembered this feeling from years ago, and had the same feeling (to a lesser extent) in the 3rd Gen rental. I didn't hear/feel the RPMs drop in the rental (couldn't see, no tach). Perhaps in both cases (the 3rd Gen rental and memories from the past) the idle was too high?....although I'd hope they'd keep their in house rental on a maintenance schedule that would prevent this.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:00 AM   #6
tyrone_yaris

Thank you CTScott for your reply...that really helped ease things out.

Jcboy will check the intake manifold and engine rubber mountings too.

Thanks
Old 02-18-2014, 08:59 PM   #7
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
According to my scangauge in my auto RPMs do drop when stopped in D however the gallons per hour goes up vs. In N the RPMs do go up but GPH will drop .03 GPH to .1 GPH.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:11 AM   #8
tyrone_yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
According to my scangauge in my auto RPMs do drop when stopped in D however the gallons per hour goes up vs. In N the RPMs do go up but GPH will drop .03 GPH to .1 GPH.
Thanks for the info!!!
Old 02-19-2014, 02:10 PM   #9
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
I think I was off a little bit. .1 GPH was too high, most I've seen is closer to .08. I don't know if this is bad for the transmission bit I only do it when ill be stopped over 30 sec. To date no issues.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ct_scott