Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-17-2015, 04:28 PM   #1
scoobopdan

Drives: 2008 Yaris
vent fan randomly not working

This issue started about a week ago and has gotten worse. The vent fan will stop working randomly, but usually whether when I first start it or if I turn it off and turn it back on. I can usually get it to come back on if I turn the knob the controls new air induction or air re-circulation, and quickly turning it back to the other side. Before I start tearing through the dash trying to see if there's a loose wire connection or something, has anyone else had a similar issue? If it were a loose wire, is there at least a likely spot to start looking for the problem?
scoobopdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 05:38 PM   #2
alanwagen

Drives: 2015Yaris, Son's car, 10 Prius
drop the fan

The fan only has 3 screws that hold it up. What I did and still works is to drop the fan. pull it out, clean it up some and then I squirted some WD40 on the bearings and wiped it down. No power to the fan when you do this as WD-40 is flammable, so unplug it. Some people don't recommend WD-40 but so far which has been over a few years, is still working. They have a tendency to stick and not spin.
alanwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 06:29 PM   #3
scoobopdan

I don't think it's a sticking issue. I can hear a tiny bit of the fan motor noise when it's on, but when it's been cutting out I don't hear anything. When it was sticking, could you hear it straining to move or any indication that made you think of it being stuck rather than a power issue?
Old 11-17-2015, 06:35 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The most common failure, other than the fan itself is the blower resistor. When that fails turning the fan on high will still work.
Old 11-17-2015, 06:37 PM   #5
scoobopdan

There's no response or difference between fan speeds. When it's out, it's out.
Old 11-17-2015, 07:38 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobopdan View Post
There's no response or difference between fan speeds. When it's out, it's out.
OK. In that case, check the connector on the back of the control knob and check the connector on the bottom of the fan and the second one next to it for the blower resistor.
Old 11-19-2015, 03:38 PM   #7
scoobopdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
OK. In that case, check the connector on the back of the control knob and check the connector on the bottom of the fan and the second one next to it for the blower resistor.
I tried searching a bit but the keywords I"m using are pulling up so many things. Do you know if there's a DIY on here, or do you have a way of doing it? I haven't taken anything off of the dash, so I'm just assuming that you'd have to take off at least a couple of plastic bits before you can get the knob off.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:54 PM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
I tried searching a bit but the keywords I"m using are pulling up so many things. Do you know if there's a DIY on here, or do you have a way of doing it? I haven't taken anything off of the dash, so I'm just assuming that you'd have to take off at least a couple of plastic bits before you can get the knob off.
Remove the vertical black pieces by getting your fingers behind them and then simply pull the control panel straight back.
Old 11-20-2015, 03:45 PM   #9
scoobopdan

Awesome, and I even found a DIY yourself you did a few years back. So, as always Scott, you've been a huge help. I'll give an update when I have a free day that I can try removing the knobs.
Old 11-24-2015, 04:08 PM   #10
scoobopdan

The lego-ness of this car never ceases to amaze me. The dash came off just like you said it would, Scott. And of course, when I had everything pulled apart and started the car, the issue wasn't present. I made sure the connections were all tight, saw that there was no frayed or broken wiring, and put it back together. The issue hasn't come back since then, so I'm just going to wait and see.
Old 12-08-2015, 03:14 PM   #11
scoobopdan

Ok, so I've got bump this. The problem started back up the other night, I took apart the dash and couldn't find any loose plugs or wires or anything that would cause the problem. I put everything back and, like I'm sure many of us do, punched the dash and huzzuh! It started working. So does anyone have any idea what could be going on here? In need of some serious help, I know that it'll be a fortune to have a mechanic poke around everywhere.
Old 12-08-2015, 07:20 PM   #12
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Ok, so I've got bump this. The problem started back up the other night, I took apart the dash and couldn't find any loose plugs or wires or anything that would cause the problem. I put everything back and, like I'm sure many of us do, punched the dash and huzzuh! It started working. So does anyone have any idea what could be going on here? In need of some serious help, I know that it'll be a fortune to have a mechanic poke around everywhere.
LOL. A buddy of mine did the dash punch on his Cadillac recently and now his airbag light is stuck on.

For your issue, it is likely a bad connection. There really isn't much involved, so I would pull the panel again and inspect the wires between it and the fan.
Old 12-10-2015, 02:15 PM   #13
scoobopdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
LOL. A buddy of mine did the dash punch on his Cadillac recently and now his airbag light is stuck on.

For your issue, it is likely a bad connection. There really isn't much involved, so I would pull the panel again and inspect the wires between it and the fan.
Haha ya I remember hearing stories about stuff like that, so definitely not something I'd recommend. Is there schematic on here of the electrical layout that I can find just where the fan is and what is actually going to it?