Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-23-2009, 11:05 PM   #19
CB900F2

Drives: 08 Sedan
Thanks wolf I will give it a try..

But the funny thing is my fluid level in my overflow bottle will rise about 1inch when the coolant becomes hot, and will also then lower when the engine cools off...so it seems fluid is flowing between the system and the overflow bottle..

thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztlonewolf View Post
here's something you can try,when your car is cold,take off the cap,start the car and fill the radiater while the car is running,let it run until the thermostat opens up,the coolant level will drop,put in more coolant (just enough to fill it up to the top),once the coolant level starts to rise,put the cap back on the radiator and run it.that should take care of any air bubbles that may be in your system,once the car is cold again,check your levels and see if that helped.
CB900F2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:40 PM   #20
Snappy

Drives: 2 Yaris Hatchbacks
When the engine is cold, try squeezing the upper radiator hose. I had a bad cap, and the same low fluid problem you have on one of my two 2007s. When you squeeze the hose, see if you hear/feel the air compressing in the filler neck, I got some give then a faint click. I replaced the cap (cheap for a Toyota part!) and no more problems. Also, I could squeeze the hose with the cap off, bringing the coolant level up to the top, then put the cap on, but when I checked again after driving and letting the car cool down, the low level returned.
Snappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:54 AM   #21
bboyl@rogers.com
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Same problem in my 2007 Yaris
Ill try a new cap too but it was disapearing slowly out of the resevoir over the last year now.
117000 Kms now so wont get warranty either if I know my dealer.
Dont see a leak at waterpump or any hoses either.
bboyl@rogers.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:29 AM   #22
N9QGS

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to N9QGS Send a message via Yahoo to N9QGS
Hmm, my comments, I have checked my coolant while engine was cold from an overnight and I felt the coolant was lower than it should be like some of you have reported the the filler neck, and I have topped it off and come to find it was back down next time. one comment I am curious. Does anyone use a scan gauge II? I notice that my WT (coolant temperature fluctuates between 181 and 186, but if I stop at a traffic light and sit at idle in drive within id say a minute or minute and a half I am at 200ºF, it never goes any higher. and when I start driving it goes back down, mind you its been 30 degrees out. is this normal? I just don't remember seeing it crawl up during the summer like this. but I may not have paid as close attention.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:23 AM   #23
captainm27

Drives: 2008 Sedan A/T Silver
I have never touched my coolant. Usually when I take it to get an oil change, the receipt says they topped all the fluids. I just checked mine out today. My coolant is about an inch above the LOW line when cold. When the engine is hot, it's about 2 inches higher. I've own the car for a year and a half and never had any problems with the coolant. Is it normal for the Yaris engine to operate like this?
captainm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:30 AM   #24
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

Yep, that's OK.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 03:56 PM   #25
captainm27

Drives: 2008 Sedan A/T Silver
Ok good, then I feel much better.
captainm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:20 PM   #26
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
My overflow bottle seems to be acting OK (at FULL hot and at LOW cold) so I dont want to take my cap off and introduce air into a properly functioning system. thats why I is chicken to take my cap off. FYU, I had a new dodge 318 pickup in 1996 and the rad hoses never got warm - even in the summer. That had me worried.
TheSilkySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 05:09 AM   #27
ishara.liyanage
I've made a post!

Drives: Toyota Yaris
Me too have the same problem in my yaris. But everything happened after a leak in radiator. It was a small leak, so it was repaired. After that this thing happened. It identical as Hilton's. No visible leaks at all. But still water level is below the filler neck.
ishara.liyanage is offline   Reply With Quote