Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-12-2010, 11:46 PM   #1
TickleTimeTim
Free Mustache Rides

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
acceleration stutter

i searched, but couldn't find anything on this. every now and then when i try to accelerate i get a very delayed response from my car. i can slam on the gas and it won't be til literally 2 seconds later til my car revs up at all. when this happens, every time i shift up, the car kicks, and starts over from about 2000rpms even if i was just at 6000. it is very frustrating. sometimes the problem just goes away, but lately it has been persistant with most trips i take. every now and then i get stp gas treatment and it seems to help, but the problem always resurfaces. Anyone else get this problem?

Thank you
Old 08-13-2010, 02:51 PM   #2
PhilD424

Drives: Red Yaris
Its called drive by wire.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:36 PM   #3
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

Particularly when you've been coasting in DFCO mode and suddenly give it the gas, there'll be a slight hesitation followed by a sudden surge. It really couldn't be otherwise, if you think about what's going on. The engine's been turning over from the car's momentum with no fuel being injected at all, and you suddenly call on it to produce significant power. There's no smooth transition for that.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 05:32 PM   #4
TickleTimeTim
Free Mustache Rides

No, this is from starting up too. It stays low rpms alllll the time. If I floor it, it will take 15 seconds to get to the top of 1st gear, then I shift straight to second and my car is idling so low it's about to stall out. Any suggestions?
Old 08-13-2010, 08:58 PM   #5
Yarisduder

Drives: 2007 4dr Sedan Silver Streak
Could it be falling into "limp home mode" for some reason?

I too find the drive by wire to be slow, and that it does not pay much attention to what I do with the pedal, but mostly it gives me more gas than I want.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:26 PM   #6
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
He says its not an issue all the time. I think theres a real issue.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:15 PM   #7
toast

Drives: 2007 LB
i had a problem with my 07 lb recently where it was stalling like 3-4 times after starting up and then it would be fine and then stutter like you said while driving and die while accellerating from stops. funny thing is i never got a check engine light. i took it into toyota and they found an intermittent short in the engine wiring harness. $700+ part and 4 hours of labor to change it out. they said there is a tsb and they changed it out of warranty as a courtesy for $50.00 deductible. bottom line is it solved the problem, so i'd say get it checked.
toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 02:28 AM   #8
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
I always like to think of the Yaris as a vehicle that's "turboed without the turbo". You nail the gas and you can feel it building up power, then suddenly it takes off like a rocket. Turbo lag just without the turbo lol.
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 08:11 PM   #9
TickleTimeTim
Free Mustache Rides

eh, i think this problem is constantly getting worse. today, my car accelerated normal though. i was guessing that it was one of my mods that caused the problem, such as the maf sensor on my SRI, or my short shift kit might be slipping. no idea, but the drive blows when i cant get it above 2000rpms within 20 seconds. thanks for all replies. if anyone has any other suggestions, please post.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:57 PM   #10
gnava3

Drives: 08 yaris Hatch
Im having the same issue... My car will be in idle ill press the accelerator all the way down and there will be no response at all... its not until i press it down that it decides to show some rpms
gnava3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 12:12 AM   #11
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
I miss a good old fashioned throttle cable.....

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 01:35 AM   #12
Vang

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
try to disconnect and reconnect the battery. it resets the ecu i think
Vang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 09:16 PM   #13
TickleTimeTim
Free Mustache Rides

hmm, will try that. thank you. i bet my problem is self induced with my 10's and HID hooked up and draining my battery.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:28 PM   #14
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
may want to leave it unhooked for 24 hours . I did it for 4 > 6 hours for the 2008 sedan tranny and made no difference . When car sits overnight and start out the tranny stays in 2nd gear for few moments and then goes to 3rd instead of starting out in 3rd gear and then going to overdrive mode when it reaches operating temperature ( greenlight goes out ) . The 2010 3 door auto tranny starts out in 3rd when cold and then to overdrive mode not long after operating temp light disappears . Let us know how you make out .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:17 PM   #15
TickleTimeTim
Free Mustache Rides

unhooked battery last night when i got home for work around 10pm. I'll be gone (to florida) til sunday and will reconnect when i return. if this doesn't reset the ecu, i don't know what will
Old 09-01-2010, 10:28 PM   #16
TickleTimeTim
Free Mustache Rides

was able to reconnect battery tonight. it's like magic. back to normal. a friend suggested that i prob sent the car into limp mode when shifting from 4th to 2nd, whatever the case, car is back to normal thank God. Thanks for all advice.